Why didn't my show record?

I have had the same thing happen since the 2.2.2 update. Recording is very unreliable at this time.

Thatā€™s very unfortunately. Itā€™s been working silently perfectly reliable that I hardly gave it any thought. Got to watch it carefully these next few days. Iā€™d like to be confident next week when all the fall premiers start we donā€™t miss anything.

Itā€™s possible that if guide data is changed between the time you schedule the airing, and the time it actually airs - it could result in the ā€˜RecordingIDā€™ being changed. This could lead to the show being unscheduled.

This is most common for sporting events (when you see ā€œTeams TBDā€). Weā€™re working hard to improve this process and have some fixes in the next release (coming soon). In the meantime, the work around is to use the ā€˜Schedule allā€™ button and then unschedule individual airings that you donā€™t want to record.

If you still miss out on airings despite this happening, please send us a ticket (ASAP, the logs can expire over time) and weā€™ll take a look.

@TabloSupport I think thereā€™s a bug with the recordings screen. As I said in my earlier post, yesterday i saw American Ninja Warrior being recorded (Orange indicator in Live TV, channel flashing red and available storage decreasing).

Plus tonight, I just checked my PVR index with my browser (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/) and i see the recording with the snap grid, the segments and all. The only place itā€™s missing is in the recordings screens of my Roku, my Chrome browser, my iPad and my Android phone. So itā€™s there, I just canā€™t see it.

I have another one of those happenig right now. They are all shows that are set to ā€œrecord newā€ in 720p and my Tablo is a 2 tuners under 2.2.2

Please look into it. I opened a ticket tuesday morning for that purpose.

1 Like

I have had this issue as well. New Tablo, just starting to figure it all out. Had a schedule to record American Experience last night. Checked it after first setting it to record, all seemed fine. It did not record. I donā€™t know why. Others are scheduled, and fortunately the episode can probably be recorded at a later date, but this is not acceptable as I have chosen this device to record new shows, and premieres are starting very soon.

Any thoughts?

As somone mentioned, there is a simiar thread. I find that I schedule a show to record and day or so later it is no longer scheduledā€¦ so I set it again and confirm itā€¦ and a couple of days later itā€™s no longer set to record.

In my case it was Footballā€¦ so just to make sure I set it to record all of the series and then I deselect the games I donā€™t watch. I figure if it messes up it will err on the side of recordingā€¦

I had this happen again tonight. Two shows were set to record, they showed up before and during (on the live tv guide) with the record symbol. And here it is an hour after they were supposed to be complete, and they are no where to be found.

This is not acceptable. I do not know what else to check. Time to submit a ticket and try to find out, otherwise it is time to cut my losses and send this thing back!

This is likely why it happened to you.

@TabloSupport Suppose a channel rearranged their schedule and a show you we re recording moves to a different day? If you only scheduled a show I think it will be skipped, but if all was selected then it would still record. Sometimes stations do that to put a new show between two sows already with good audience share.

I have been seeing this exact behavior, and the guide data does NOT change (i.e. it does not say TBD) I noticed last night that I have Sundays Lions game scheduled to record, but in the released Roku channel it shows as ā€œFutureā€ instead of ā€œNext weekā€. I suspect that when it changes from future (which it should have already done) the recording will become unscheduled.

Well, I just checked and it had become unscheduled. I rescheduled it and it had changed from ā€œFutureā€ to ā€œThis Weekā€ It will probably unschedule Saturday when it changes to ā€œTomorrowā€

I sent a ticket today (9/16/2015) about it.

I also submitted late last night. The programs that I had issue with were scheduled, and apparently aired as scheduled - I checked the live tv guide during the time it was supposed to be recording, and the shows were still on the guide, and the record symbol was still with them. I assumed they were recording, but they were not there later in the recordings, or as failed recordings.

I have a follow up on this which may provide TabloSupport with some information. I used information posted by Xirpinu and I looked at my Tabloā€™s data by opening an Internet browser and going to (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/). So the problem that I had is on the evening of (Mon, 9/14/2015) my Tablo attempted to record ā€œAmerican Ninja Warriorā€ and ā€œPenn and Teller Fool Usā€. Browsing the data in the (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/) directory, I found the following which I think are a match to my missing recordings:

American Ninja Warrior:Ā Ā Ā Ā /pvr/198217/Ā Ā Ā Ā 2015-Sep-15 04:34:10
Penn and Teller Fool Us:Ā Ā Ā Ā /pvr/200898/Ā Ā Ā Ā 2015-Sep-15 02:06:05

Now whatā€™s interesting about these directories they are both missing the ā€œmeta.txtā€ file. So this might be where the bug is. Iā€™m guessing what shows up under the ā€œRecordingsā€ view depends on the existence of and the reading of this ā€œmeta.txtā€ file? If so, a missing means it wonā€™t show up in the ā€œRecordingsā€ view?

@mjremijan - Nope - that file is not required at all to complete recording.

The team will take a closer look at your Tablo when they examine your ticket. Weā€™ll get this patched up for you.

@TabloTV. O.K., but what Iā€™m saying is I believe both of them successfully recorded, they just arenā€™t showing up in the Tabloā€™s ā€œRecordingsā€ view. Iā€™m just taking a guess here, but if I look in /pvr/200898/segs I see 401 *.ts files in that directory. So it looks to me like it recorded. But the difference between the /pvr/198217/ and /pvr/200898/ directories compared to all the other directories is that those two are missing the ā€œmeta.txtā€ file. So that has to mean something right? I understand the ā€œmeta.txtā€ file is not required to complete recording, but does it play a role in if the recording shows up in the Tabloā€™s ā€œRecordingā€ view. It looks like ā€œmeta.txtā€ is a JSON object that completely describes the episode so if itā€™s missing the Tablo wouldnā€™t know what to display for this recording so it wouldnā€™t show up in the Tabloā€™s ā€œRecordingsā€ view. Those are just my thoughts. I have 219 directories when I browse to (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/). I havenā€™t checked all 219 but every other one I have checked has a ā€œmeta.txtā€. So itā€™s very coincidental evidence :smile:

Go into the pl dir and see if there is a playlist.m3u8

Then you could actually use ffmpeg to create an mp4 file. That way you can see if it plays

Like this ffmpeg -i ā€œhttp://:18080/pvr/<show #>/pl/playlist.m3u8ā€ -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -vcodec copy -acodec copy test.mp4

Iā€™ve downloaded all the .ts files yesterday and merged them with TSSplitter and it played just fine. Iā€™ve also tried playing the .m3u8 playlist with VLC (using the http ://:18080/pvr//pl/playlist.m3u8 address as network stream) and it played too. So the recordings are there.

And as @mjremijan noticed, the meta.txt files are also missing for every recordings that behave that way.

That is strangeā€¦