Mac program for extracting Tablo recordings

So which app will work with a Mac for pulling recordings off the Tablo’s connected hard drive?
links?

There’s a section #tablo-apps:third-party-apps-plex for that https://community.tablotv.com/c/tablo-apps/third-party-apps-plex/17

Runs in a java environment - platform independent. Developer is active in the forums

I’m not absolutely certain, it runs with Python. So if you have a Python environment for MAC, there you go.

This is a GUI, completely “self contained” - download the pre-compiled release for your platform.

Or you could just use ffmpg and stream thing via a playlist, but it’s not practical.

SurLaTablo does work on a Mac. SurLaTablo is python2 dependent today, and the built in Python on Macs is python2, just be warned that Apple loathes FOSS, so eventually (when? Unknown), it (python there by default) will be going away.

(note: there will be other ways to install python on a Mac in the future, but it might require python3, and I’m not quite ready for that yet)

The python 2/3 thing can be a pita. I’m running Debian testing on multiple systems. From time to time I get messages about not finding python env and have to set or reset symlink back and forth <ugh>

Linux OS’s use to be reasonably straight forward with virtually everything configured via text files… now, who knows what’s going on.

SurLaTablo is highly configurable and full of options. How does it like multiple devices? (haven't look for a while)

The existing surlatablo does handle multiple devices, just have set TABLO_IPS = [ 'first-tablo-ip', 'second-tablo-ip' ] in your surlatablo2.conf file.

With that said, there can be some rec_id collision issues. Even though the cache db’s are separate. Somewhat probabilistic that you’ll encounter the issue, this problem has been addressed in version 3 (not released). Version 3, is the python3 version.

1 Like

Tablo Tools. Perfect!
Thank you

It had been under heavy active development in what seemed like “the early days of the pandemic”, and had since seemed to slowed to a stop. I just guessed he had to go back to work, but that’s my guess.

Tablo Tools works! You may still come across a few annoyances which need tweaked yet, but overhaul it’s stable. As far as my use and experience.

Also capto (no longer for Mac) with wrapto and APL Tablo… Some day I’ll get around to SuLaTablo, but I understand it’s very stable.

I just finished d/l the .dmg file for Tablo Tools version 0.2.4, and installing it on my 2012 Mac-mini. It’s running flawlessly as I type this, exporting 6 movies from Tablo to my computer. So far, so good!
P.S. The entire operation lasted 14minutes 30seconds.

For me, Tablo Tools on the Mac (latest version as of this date) is not working. I had serious doubts about Tablo maybe changing something in their interface and had a support call in to them but never got through and now its new years. Well I then downloaded Tablo Ripper and installed it in a windows 10 virtual machine on my mac. Mainly to see if it was something other than the tablo itself.

It runs fine. I then downloaded TabloToGo.V1 and edited the python code to work with Python3. Tried running it on the mac (no virtual machine). It also will not find the Tablo. So my next test will be installing that python program on that same virtual machine to see if this issue is coming from the latest OSX (Ventura 13.0.1). I will report this back if Tablo Ripper works in windows 10. If it does then there is a clue here on OSX giving me some struggles. Not sure yet. But at least I know the issue is not the Tablo unit itself.

If this works on the

I use SurLaTablo on a Mac no issues. It’s pure Python, so you need to run it from Terminal, or set up a cron job to run it on automatically.

Is there a way to refresh what TabloTools is seeing on the device? Mine is showing stuff from a while ago.

My TabloTools (Win10) normally refreshes automatically, but if you click on the circled link it should refresh.

Well I spent a bit of time reviewing the python code, to see how it works for TabloToGo.V1
What I have discovered is, whatever access they were using is no longer in the system. They make a call to the tablo with a url with a part of the url value to …/pvr/FILMID/meta.txt

Tablo, in these new versions of the system does not either expose or have a file called meta.txt.

I think this is why a number of the older tools do not work. I know the TABLO RIPPER on windows works fine. So obviously they have a newer API list and have updated their code to use this.

I will continue to dig around and learn where to find the documentation. I am seeing reference to the API which asks for and NDA. Which is fine. But if we make a tool using this, I suspect we violate the NDA by sharing it. Only the windows EXE version hides the api calls. Certainly not the scripting language of python.

If others have thoughts let me know. I am a rather senior retired developer. New to python but it does appear to be an easy language to learn since I have used so many in the past.

1 Like

Surlatablo doesn’t have the mentioned issue. But interestingly, it works by a code base exposed by Nuvyyo themselves. I never signed an NDA. With that said, SurLaTablo still requires the older Python 2.7+ and will not work on 3 (yet).

I am a little burned out on playing with your competitors python tool. I will investigate your tool and see what I can do with python3. If I am successful, can just pass the code back to you. But I will need to add one of the dual environment tools so I can toggle between python 2 and 3
otherwise I will pull my hair out again. LOL

it would be nice to start with a code base that at least DOES work with a version of python

Very impressed with your code. I feel a bit embarrassed since senior developer NOT in python. So you
really know your code. I tend to be interested in such things so I will see if I can help you with some tweeks and obviously if they are worth anything, you can incorporate them

I have the db cache portion done in 3. So… I did start… :grin:

I am writing some shell scripts (since i am a MAC person) to slowly give me cool use of your tool. Once I am done I can post some of them. Is this the place to do that? Since they are just shell (wrapper) scripts.

Assuming the python 2 code actually works and you desire a version that works with python 3 why not just use a 2to3 conversion tool supplied on python.org.