Why didn't my show record?

@TabloSupport Suppose a channel rearranged their schedule and a show you we re recording moves to a different day? If you only scheduled a show I think it will be skipped, but if all was selected then it would still record. Sometimes stations do that to put a new show between two sows already with good audience share.

I have been seeing this exact behavior, and the guide data does NOT change (i.e. it does not say TBD) I noticed last night that I have Sundays Lions game scheduled to record, but in the released Roku channel it shows as “Future” instead of “Next week”. I suspect that when it changes from future (which it should have already done) the recording will become unscheduled.

Well, I just checked and it had become unscheduled. I rescheduled it and it had changed from “Future” to “This Week” It will probably unschedule Saturday when it changes to “Tomorrow”

I sent a ticket today (9/16/2015) about it.

I also submitted late last night. The programs that I had issue with were scheduled, and apparently aired as scheduled - I checked the live tv guide during the time it was supposed to be recording, and the shows were still on the guide, and the record symbol was still with them. I assumed they were recording, but they were not there later in the recordings, or as failed recordings.

I have a follow up on this which may provide TabloSupport with some information. I used information posted by Xirpinu and I looked at my Tablo’s data by opening an Internet browser and going to (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/). So the problem that I had is on the evening of (Mon, 9/14/2015) my Tablo attempted to record “American Ninja Warrior” and “Penn and Teller Fool Us”. Browsing the data in the (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/) directory, I found the following which I think are a match to my missing recordings:

American Ninja Warrior:    /pvr/198217/    2015-Sep-15 04:34:10
Penn and Teller Fool Us:    /pvr/200898/    2015-Sep-15 02:06:05

Now what’s interesting about these directories they are both missing the “meta.txt” file. So this might be where the bug is. I’m guessing what shows up under the “Recordings” view depends on the existence of and the reading of this “meta.txt” file? If so, a missing means it won’t show up in the “Recordings” view?

@mjremijan - Nope - that file is not required at all to complete recording.

The team will take a closer look at your Tablo when they examine your ticket. We’ll get this patched up for you.

@TabloTV. O.K., but what I’m saying is I believe both of them successfully recorded, they just aren’t showing up in the Tablo’s “Recordings” view. I’m just taking a guess here, but if I look in /pvr/200898/segs I see 401 *.ts files in that directory. So it looks to me like it recorded. But the difference between the /pvr/198217/ and /pvr/200898/ directories compared to all the other directories is that those two are missing the “meta.txt” file. So that has to mean something right? I understand the “meta.txt” file is not required to complete recording, but does it play a role in if the recording shows up in the Tablo’s “Recording” view. It looks like “meta.txt” is a JSON object that completely describes the episode so if it’s missing the Tablo wouldn’t know what to display for this recording so it wouldn’t show up in the Tablo’s “Recordings” view. Those are just my thoughts. I have 219 directories when I browse to (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/). I haven’t checked all 219 but every other one I have checked has a “meta.txt”. So it’s very coincidental evidence :smile:

Go into the pl dir and see if there is a playlist.m3u8

Then you could actually use ffmpeg to create an mp4 file. That way you can see if it plays

Like this ffmpeg -i “http://:18080/pvr/<show #>/pl/playlist.m3u8” -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -vcodec copy -acodec copy test.mp4

I’ve downloaded all the .ts files yesterday and merged them with TSSplitter and it played just fine. I’ve also tried playing the .m3u8 playlist with VLC (using the http ://:18080/pvr//pl/playlist.m3u8 address as network stream) and it played too. So the recordings are there.

And as @mjremijan noticed, the meta.txt files are also missing for every recordings that behave that way.

That is strange…

@Jestep I did this as you suggested and it worked. The mp4 file was created and it played American Ninja Warrior, which was one of the shows not showing up under Tablo’s “Recordings”. So it did record, it’s just not showing up under Tablo’s “Recordings”.

Well, it is up to @TabloSupport to take a look at your Tablo then. You should follow up with them tomorrow.

1 Like

This happened to us last night. Masterchef season finale, the orange icon was there to say it was going to record. We watched the first 30 minutes live on the TV expecting the show to record.

Check now and NO recording for Masterchef. Wouldn’t care too much except it was the finale which we really wanted to watch tonight. Not impressed at all.

Edit: files are on the drive as seen from tablo:18080/pvr. Confirmed by looking at the snap.jpg image. It just is not showing up under Recordings.

That stinks! I doubled checked to make sure MasterChef was recording. Did not want to miss that one. From the research I’ve done, can you look in the directory and see if a “meta.txt” file exists? I’m willing to bet that file is missing! So MasterChef might have recorded for you. If so, you can probably get an MP4 of it by executing a command like this:

ffmpeg -i “http://IP_ADDRESS_OF_YOUR_TABLO:18080/pvr/DIRECTORY/pl/playlist.m3u8” -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -vcodec copy -acodec copy MasterChef.mp4

Hey guys - We’ll be looking at this issue closely today. The engineering team will be looking at the information you’ve already shared here but if you can please let us know the following things about the recordings that would be awesome:

• What show you scheduled (Title, Air Date, Air Time & Channel)
  • Where you’ve set the schedule (from Live TV screen or from the TV, movies or sports screen)
  • What device you set it on
  • Whether you can see/watch the recording from some or none of the devices you have for viewing

If you’re willing, send a note to support@tablotv.com again with the title ‘Missing Recordings Issue - Details Inside’ with your MAC address and we can examine your database to see if there is evidence of why this is occurring.

Have scheduled from Sports Screen and TV screen AND Movies Screen
Scheduled recordings from the Roku
I only use the Roku for viewing

It should be noted that these recordings are UNSCHEDULING themselves. At first I thought it was limited to Football, but Movies and TV are UNSCHEDULING themselves as well.

Two nights in a row. Pre-existing recording schedules that have worked perfectly all summer long.

Masterchef
Aired September 16 @ 8PM on CTV
Recording set from laptop using my.tablotv.com website
Cannot see recording on any device

Amazing Race
Aired September 17 @ 9PM on CTV
Recording set from laptop using my.tablotv.com website
Cannot see recording on any device

Will send email now. This really is unnacceptable, the only function I care about on Tablo is a DVR.

Just scheduled 6:00 - 6:30 from Live TV screen on Roku 3. At 6:33 the one ended at 6:30 is there, and I am watching it now.

EDIT: New problem, which is the show I recorded is “Press Your Luck”. As it turns out, an earlier episode of it (5:30 - 6:00) was already on when I scheduled it. I scheduled the 6:00 - 6:30 but it started recording early and ended early. There is NO individual show description for ANY of them. They need to be looking at THE TIME, @TabloTV and @TabloSupport. I don’t think it makes a difference, but I do have the beta Preview app on the Roku 3. And the Tablo firmware is 2.2.3 which I was told is the same as 2.2.2.