If you’re like me, you still enjoy your legacy Tablo device. We can watch and record live broadcast TV from a single device anywhere you have a smart device or TV like a Roku in the house. There are phone apps and an application in the Windows store that allow watching on phones and PCs running Windows.
But what about Linux?
In the past, I would just go to a magic web address that worked only in the local area network, and it presented a single-page web app that would allow me to control the Tablo including watching, scheduling, and deleting recordings. However, somehow just about each major browser has started to not be able to show this embedded web page. The last holdout had been Firefox which I used to watch my Tablo, but recently I have found that not to work well any longer.
I looked around and found a couple of repos on GitHub which showed how that the Tablo serves a RESTful API that other devices can use to present information and control the device, so I created Tabloid. Tabloid is a service application that works in Zorin (and I’m sure other Debian-based distros), keeps track of what is happening on the Tablo, and shares a single-page web application that allows you to use the Tablo to, at this time, see what Tablo devices are on your LAN, what channels are available, review the upcoming six hours of scheduling, and of course watch live TV. Furthermore, any number of devices on your LAN can tune in and watch programs provided your Tablo(s) provide enough tuners.
Future releases will add features like watching and managing recordings, a universal search and automatic recording. Ever try to search by actor? Ever wish that you could tell the Tablo to record anything with your favorite actor, or anything that has key words?
Currently, Tabloid is still in development, so if you’re a developer and you love your legacy Tablo, check it out at: TabloWatcherService.
A prerelease is here: Release v0.1.0-preview3 · Alfetta159/TabloWatcherService · GitHub
Upcoming features include:
- Watching and managing recordings
Universal Search - search by keyword, title, or actor’s name- Automated Recordings - record anything with a keyword in it.
- Bulk Deletions - ever want to just delete mark watched a whole season?
This page will be updated with the application.
Tabloid is not associated with Tablo or Nuvyyo in any official capacity. It is an independent effort to preserve the functionality of legacy Tablo devices.
Tabloid is based on .NET and Typescript and was written primarily with an A.I. application.
