Tablotv app apparently does not work with Android 12

And thus ends the “Cut the Samsung” campaign. Thanks to all that participated.

1 Like

Still possible it’s something in their implementation as well but if both models are now crashing hopefully it’s the same root cause and the fix for one one fixes the other.

Does anyone really know where Samsung or OnePlus got their port of Android 12. Many basic hardware companies don’t do the software port themselves but outsource it.

I have a variety of different Samsung products and was never convinced they could spell Android let alone do the port.

Any updates on getting the app to work for Samsung S21 w/ the latest Android 12 upgrade?

The fix is being beta tested, and results look good so far.

5 Likes

Hi folks -

The fix is making its way through the Play Store now and should be available shortly:

Thanks for your patience and your assistance in getting this sorted.

2 Likes

Works great! Thanks!

1 Like

Updated and verified that it now works! Thank you for the fix!

Unfortunately, it did lose the connection to my tablo and I won’t be back on the same network until after the holidays. A remote connect feature would be really handy right now.

Can confirm that the program runs, but I don’t have any sound. It is also doing a weird thing where it lags by 30 seconds before playing (that I can override by skipping ahead.) I really appreciate the work you are doing!

I’ve only been using Tablo for about two weeks, I replaced a Tivo whole-home system with a Tablo + Fire TV based system. This is the first time I use the phone app since it was broken for my phone. I am having the same issues as @Hoss2626, app works but no sound. I assume that is the “Surround Sound” setting, if it is, I believe that is a system-wide setting, right? In which case, that means I have to dumb down the sound for my whole house (including media room) to be able to watch Tablo on my phone?

You are correct. When the users here were clamoring for the ability to have surround sound many years ago, it was an accepted trade off. The good part is that most devices now work with surround sound, though cell phones are hit or miss.

Yeah… a Samsung flagship phone (Galaxy S21) can’t do surround sound. So, if I want to be able to watch my Tablo outside the home I will have to make my 1000-watt 7.1 system with a 106" 4k screen play stereo. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait… wait… I just read this page:
5.1 Surround Sound – Tablo (tablotv.com)

And I noticed the last table… soo… I turned off the WiFi on my phone (thus I am using Tablo Connect) and since I’m not set up to use Full Quality when remote then I get stereo sound on my phone?!?!

So they can switch the sound?!?! Therefore, they could simply have a setting that says ‘always stream stereo to my phone app’?

Basically, all I have to do is turn off WiFi and use my 5G connection and I get sound on the phone app. If I’m on my home WiFi network, I do not.

1 Like

What is happening is the Tablo is using an extra tuner to re-transcode the stream at a lower bitrate and with stereo sound only.

Huh… so when it streams “outside my network” and not at full quality it uses up a tuner and can transcode. If I’m “inside my network” it will use full quality and will not use a tuner to transcode?

If so, I guess in the future we could have an optional setting that forces the transcode to mobile devices even when in the local network. Something like “Mobile Streaming Quality” regardless of network.

Well, at least I have a workaround and don’t have to dumb down my recordings. :slight_smile:

There was a time where the Tablo folks had a way to make it work on Android phones. There was a beta.tablotv.com site, and when used on your phone, it asked whether to use an alternate player. If you had downloaded the VLC media player, you could point to it, and it would play surround sound recordings.

That site is gone now, and I guess these steps were a bit too complex or time consuming to keep going. I wouldn’t mind the Tablo folks exploring it more.

1 Like

Another option, since you have an Android phone, is ota2GO (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.locobright.tablogo&hl=en_US&gl=US). If you plan ahead you can download recorded items to your phone for local playback. It doesn’t address live viewing but just throwing options out there.

Very nice! Definitely adding that to my phone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 running Android 12. The app AND my.tablotv.com freeze when trying to play recordings either directly on the phone or via Chromecast. Previously the app wouldn’t play 5.1 surround even though all other apps I use play 5.1 without issue. Now the app just doesn’t work at all.

Sorry you’re running into that.

Is there a reason why you’re using the browser app on a smartphone instead of the native Android app?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.