Tablo Roku App (4th Gen) Update (v. 0.8.500)

Yes I know it is a broad term and many people use the term for software engineers/programmers and or quality assurance engineers these days! But many people who are engineers and even those who are not are interested in technical stuff and if they don’t know a programming language or skill set will learn it.

I’m a software, quality assurance, PC Hardware and database engineer by past work experience but those skills are not going help me to fix the TABLO firmware and software which are probably in a language I never learned and used and …at my advanced age there is no point in me trying.

2 Likes

I hear ya… my 40s have been rough!

.^_^.

It’s not open source. You could get a canadian work permit, move to canada and apply for a job.

At the end of many live programs – the Tablo go back to the guide at the end of the show.

If loading a show from the guide – while its being recorded – it may not allow rewind to the beginning of the show

It now shows 2 copies of a show in the library while I am recording it.

Lip sync gets way off sometimes – no pattern here.

Need an option to load the guide at startup. It takes to long to load all of the “suggested” shows.

If watching a show on a weak channel, it crashes.

Sometimes you can select a live show from the guide and nothing happens at all.

This issue is now happening on non roku devices…Sony Bravia, basically android tv, although it’s now called google tv…it’s not live tv, it’s recordings, started this week, within 3-5 minutes of watching a recording (anything recorded this week, not last week), the video begins to stutter as if buffering, then within 10 minutes the app will crash and reboot. Reset tablo, no help, uninstall/reinstall app, no help…will start another thread, but if any non-roku user got sent to this thread by tablo support, they might appreciate the info that “it’s not just me”

I did have one glitch last night on the Roku…playing back a recording that was still recording, tried to fast forward through some commercials. The thing (Tablo/Roku combination) decided that the recording was “LIVE” and wouldn’t let me fast forward. Stopped it, exited the app, came back in and it worked fine after that. Not a biggie, the Legacy Tablo I have would do something odd occasionally as well.

Just thought I’d mention it, see if it’s happened to anyone else with this update?

I am please to say that as of 2/16/2024 the Tablo Roku App has not been crashing since the new updates. I purchased my Tablo unit November 14, 2023 at a local Best Buy store and had this crashing problem since day 1 (13 weeks) until yesterday.

Also, I ran a new channel scan followed by a guide update and the total process only took about 5 minutes to complete. I am very satisfied with the results.

I understand Roku will also be releasing new OS versions in the upcoming months to improve their product and hopefully will not negatively effect the corrections that Tablo has made. If this situations changes I will be sure to share.

Here are the details of my unit and streaming devices:

Tablo Gen 4 (2 tuner): Model TF1282B-01-CN
S/N SID_5087B8509556
Firmware: 2.2.48
Roku Tablo App Version 0.8.build 500-734366

Roku Ultra 4660RW OS 12.5.5 Build 4174-46
Roku Premier 3920RW OS 12.5.5 Build 4174-91
Caption Mode - OFF
Auto-Adjust Display Refresh Rate - Off

Happened again tonight. Looks like the pattern is that the first time that I watch the recording of a show that’s still recording, Tablo/Roku somehow decides that it’s “LIVE”. Again, just exit the Tablo app on the Roku, re-enter the app, and everything’s fine for the rest of the night. Would be nice if this didn’t happen, but I can live with it for the time being. I do have a feeling that I’m going to get very tired of this after while, though. Guess I need go to Support on this one.

1 Like

Seems like there’s a lot of “exiting the App” then restarting it to get things to work again. Not sure what that’s a symptom of.

Memory issues.

I am still having with Tablo hanging on the guide. As reported earlier when you first start watching you can go to the guide and change channels without a problem but if you stay on a channel for some period of time then go back to the guide it will just hang on the guide and you have to restart Tablo. This is happening on a Roku TV running version 12.5.5 Build 4174-CH. I have the 4 tuner Tablo and all software is up to date and recommended settings set. I am in Virginia. I have not noticed this on my other TV’s that are using ROKU Ultra.

I have this same issue on multiple Roku 3820R2 streaming sticks. After watching a channel for some time have to exit the Tablo app in order to change channel. I am in Central Time Zone.

Possible, but for me it’s coming into the app after not using it for some time. I immediately have to exit and re-enter, and then don’t have any subsequent problems after hours of watching shows. So it would have to be a memory leak when the app is idle, doesn’t seem totally likely to me. Memory leaks are relatively easy to verify in the lab, though they may take a few minutes to track down…depending on the available tool kit :-).

Here’s my question… how can we have the same model of Roku’s and variant of different issues?

What are the 3rd party factors in play?

Internal LAN
DNS
Wireless
(please add to this list)

I have 7 Roku Devices in my home, I have not had any issues the folks are posting about, above this post. After this new update. Even before, I didn’t have a lot of issues after leveling out my wireless plant.

1 Like

Well, the issue with getting hung up on the guide does happen on my ROKU Ultra. Initially I thought it was working fine on the Ultra but after watching the Daytona 500 for about 4 hrs I could not change channels on the guide. Had to exit Tablo and restart.

I have tcl roku tv 7111x roku 12.5.s OS/ Live TV crashes within 6 minutes or less. still. No message opting to turn off CC on the Tablo. I turned if off on the tv settings, still crashed. How can I turn it off from Tablo settings since I do not get the fix message asking? The Tablo email said there was a setting to turn it back on, so seems should be one somewhere. I looked on the Tablo roku app for a setting, and on the tablo android phone app, didn’t see one. thanks

(edited) Under the tablo app on my roku tv, the tablo app settings are : Account, Storage, General, Scheduling, Guide, Roku, About. I find nothing about CC under any of them.

I have 1 TLC Roku TV in my son’s room, and it works. I’m assuming since you’re getting the CC message after the crash, then it may not be related. Or not triggering that error message.

I figured out Tablo APP needs really strong wireless signal strength for it to operate properly.

Are you able to check the signal of that client in your wireless router?

1 Like

I have TCL/ROKU TV’s and have 3 crash/reboots.
For me, not a Tablo problem, or a particular TV problem.
Two happened while watching Tablo shows on one TV, and one while watching Paramount+ on another.
Never had a crash until a firmware update in the TV.
Sent message to TCL about it, but never got a response.

I’m not sure how the CC popup gets triggered, but after about 3 hours of constant crashes, I disabled it through the system settings. Cannot say if it’s related, but after this I could not access anything in my Library. It would spin and crash to Roku home screen.

I tried app reinstall; uninstall reboot reinstall; system cache clear/reset… nothing worked until I did them all together (uninstall, reboot, cache clear, reinstall, reboot). Not sure why any of this was necessary, but it worked after that.

I haven’t used the Roku in a couple of days, but I will definitely check again later today and verify it’s still working and if the captions are on for playback.

(Just sharing my experience.)

1 Like

Finally got around to popping the Roku back in and the Tablo app is again not allowing me into my Library. Tab over, shows missing icons, back to the ROKU home screen. Checked and captions are off in the system.

I guess this trick only worked the one time – and TBH, I’m not interested in taking any steps to try to fix this today. Sorry, I had hoped this was the fix and it’s not.

Edit: Live guide gives the same results about every third time.

1 Like