Tablo Roku App (4th Gen) Update (v. 0.8.500)

Hi folks -

An update is now available for the newest Tablo Roku Channel for 4th generation Tablo devices. This includes a workaround for the crashes a subset of Roku users were experiencing during playback of live TV.

If you’ve already got the latest Tablo channel installed, and your ROKU is set to automatic updates, you should see version 0.8.500 very soon. You can also manually update the channel by going to SETTINGS > SYSTEM > SYSTEM UPDATE from your Roku home screen.

Here’s what you can expect:

Tablo Roku Channel (4th Gen) Update (v. 0.8.500)

• Adds workaround for memory-related crash
  • Adds ability to trigger TV guide data update
  • Other bug fixes and performance improvements

About This Update

Since Roku’s 12.5 firmware update, a subset of Roku devices have started running out of memory during playback of live TV causing the 4th generation Tablo app to crash.

Extensive testing at Tablo HQ revealed these shutdowns are related to how the Roku player software processes closed captioning data on select models.

We have notified Roku of these findings and hope they can provide a Roku firmware update to fully resolve this.

In the meantime, we have implemented a workaround in the latest Tablo app update for Roku that should greatly improve the viewing experience for affected Tablo users.

You can read more about it here:

The new ‘Update Guide’ section in SETTINGS will be familiar to legacy Tablo device users. This section will show you when your TV Guide Data was last updated, and allow you to proactively request an update.

This is particularly helpful if your internet or Tablo has been offline during the regular overnight maintenance window for an extended period, or if there is a major event that causes large changes in the short-term schedules of major networks.

This button will not help with missing or incorrect guide data issues, it will simply request the latest available data for your selected channels from the servers at Tablo HQ.

As always, if you have any questions or encounter any problems, feel free to post them below or touch base directly with support.

3 Likes

ohh game on tonight! Thanks for the update, guys!

2 Likes

I really like the idea of knowing how long ago the guide was updated (8h46m ago… haha!) I think this will come in handy for those times we’re waiting for sports lineups to come through. Nice new feature! (Hope it gets added to android/fire in the next update!)

Testing the Express+ first since this is the only one that continues to have the crash. (The 4kE+ has not had an issue since 0.8.401.) Will be trying like mad to crash this one, though…

[Side note: it feels very responsive. Looks like some of those memory leak patches are working elsewhere!]

1 Like

Great news for Roku Tablo Users. However those of us using FireTV sticks are also having issues with freezing of Live TV and recordings. This causes the Tablo 4th gen to do a reboot. Are you support people working on this too?

I’m sure they are. 1 thing at a time, bruh. I’m sure it’s coming.

Are you one of these people that ask for the Wi-Fi password at someone’s home even before saying Hi to everyone?

No but FireTV stick issues have been reported for a long time. They did not mention at all they are working on a FireTV stick issue which would have made a lot of sense to mention!

You are sure it is coming? Is that just wishful thinking, BS Bruh or do you actually know?

I do not know. I do not work for Tablo.

They did not mention for a long while they were working on the Roku issue until like a week or so ago.

Signed up in Dec 2023, and I said then, it’s coming.

It eventually came… which is today. (it came, not BS wishful thinking)

Coming from a person who worked for a Big Tech company with developers and timelines. Tablo being way smaller… all I can say is it’s coming.

They just dropped the Apple TV Beta APP today. They will not forget about the Amazon TV stuff.

1 Like

@Lenlabnj As soon as we ship any 4th gen app, we start work right away on the next update. It’ll be like that for the next year or so across every single platform we support. So fear not, an Android/Fire TV update is in the works and will be coming soon.

6 Likes

Sounds like juggling. One always needing more help over another, but they all need updating…

3 Likes

THANKS Tablo TV!

1 Like

Please try to squeeze in the ability to scroll the lists on the Roku

Shows/Genres

Shows/Channels

Movies/Genres
and
Movies/Channels

So far no app crashes for me, so that’s great!

But I still noticed another problem that didn’t go away with the update. The problem is that after exiting a channel I’ve watched for an extended period of time (like an hour) and then going back to the guide, I’m unable to select another channel to watch. I can move around in the guide, but no matter what channel I select, it will not open up. As a work around, I have to exit the Tablo app (back to the Roku Home Screen) and then relaunch the Roku Tablo App. Then I can select the new channel and it opens up.

I should also point out that if you only watch a channel for a short time (like 5-10 minutes) and then go back to the guide and select a new channel everything works. So it appears to be just when watching a channel for an extended time prevents selecting a new channel.

This is not a new problem, I’ve noticed this with the Roku Tablo App for several months now and was hoping this might have been corrected in the latest app update, but apparently Tablo still needs to fix this bug.

1 Like

YES THIS! Very annoying. Experienced the same thing last night. It was happening to me occasionally before the update so… not fixed :frowning:

1 Like

Updated all my Roku devices, and it was business as usual last night. No issues.

Again, I’m going to put this out there… I did have issues with my Roku/Tablo when I bought it. After tweaking my network, it leveled out about 98% of the time. My ultra (1 of 7 Roku devices) did have the app closing issue, but I only experienced it a few times a week.

With that said, After last night’s update, I didn’t experience anything different, besides it seems to be more responsive flipping through the GUI. Did not crash at all.

I still believe, people that have major issues after this release, need to take a deep dive in to their network. Thankfully, I’m a Network Engineer, So it’s good on my side. My opinion.

1 Like

@gatorgogo @jman4531 We’d like to take a closer look at this.

Can you share your local time zone as well as the Roku model # you’re seeing this on?

I still can’t access my recordings. It almost instantly kicks me out of the Tablo app. This thing has been a joke. It worked for about 2 weeks and down for a month. I even had bought 2 new Rokus to see if it would help. Nope! I wish I would have save my money. They need to quit airing the commercials and trying to sell it until they fix it.

Are you able to give us more details of your network and Roku setup?

We may be able to help you figure this out.

@Dewayne_Sykes

1 Like

@TabloTV my time zone is EST, Roku device is Ultra 4802X,

I have experienced the issue I previously described in two homes where I have separate Tablo Gen4 and Roku setups installed. The Roku I’m using is the Ultra 4670X in both locations. I’m located in the Eastern Time Zone.

Thanks for the quick replies @jman4531 & @gatorgogo! Passing this along to engineering.