Tablo Roku App (4th Gen) Update (v. 0.8.600)

Hi Tyler, sorry for late reply. Some good news…maybe. After seeing your post I opened a support ticket with Tablo. Funny thing is, after sending the support email I opened Tablo just to check, and the damned thing was working fine. Still is.

Tablo support responded this morning with a ridiculous solution. Rather than explain, I’ll just paste the text to the end of this reply. (please read it, then return here)

Tablo’s solution referenced the old v.8.500 roku app fix dealing with close captions, back in early Feb 2024.

Close Captioning is under Roku>Settings>Accessibility

Even tho my Tablo was working again, I opened >Accessibility for a peek. CC’s were indeed disabled, but then I noticed the Screen Reader app just below Captions mode.

I suddenly remembered the Roku screen reader switched itself on, soon after Tablo started crashing. The day I emailed support, I had just disabled Screen Reader.

It’s a long shot, definitely, but timing and both apps located under Accessibility seem like a hell of a coincidence.

I’ve seen nothing else that explains Tablo abruptly fixing itself.

I hope this helps.
(See Tablo support response below)

Tablo support - Hazel (Tablo)

Apr 17, 2024, 12:41 PM EDT
Hi there,

Our team was able to identify the issue causing the Tablo Roku app to crash during Live OTA streams on select Roku models. We published an update to work around this issue on February 13, 2024.

You can read the full details of the update and how to disable closed captions to work around this problem here: Tablo Roku App (4th Gen) Update (v. 0.8.500)
Make sure that your Tablo Roku app is running the updated version (v. 0.8.500) to access these changes.

We have made Roku aware of this issue and are hopeful they will address this issue to allow users to utilize closed captions without running into the original crash issue while streaming video.

Hope this helps! Thank you for your patience while our team works on this.

Thanks,
Hazel