Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

@billybattablotv1
Re: some shows generate duplicate output file names.

I just uploaded a new version with an option to include the recording date/time in the file name. Let me know if that takes care of your issue (or not).

Welcome back. I retried the recording previously described and unfortunately the output still left the date stamp off the file name. The output filename was: “This American Life - Host Ira Glass explores a theme through.mp4”. I also tried TR on a second similarly name formatted program, A Prairie Home Companion. Once again the time stamp was absent in the output.

The jpg below shows what the TR windows looked like at the time I ripped the Tablo recording.

Thanks for your help so far. You’ve made a terrific program, a sort of missing link that makes TabloTV a Tivo killer.

Any further thoughts on the file naming problem?

PS I ran 1.1.1

That’s puzzling, but after I released the “date/time” idea, I had a better one, so other than the inconvenience of testing that idea, I’m glad to move on to the better idea.

The better id? Use the Tablo recording id in the output file name. Tablo assigns a unique id to each recording, and by including that, we’re guaranteed the name is unique.

There’s a new version (1.1.2) waiting for you to download…

1 Like

Just now tried 1.1.2. Unfortunately the result was the same: no date and no ID#. If you’re tired of playing with this, it’s OK: I can record each one separately, rename it and then record the next one on the list. Either way, thanks for your help!

Are you checking the new option on the main screen? You need to check the option for ‘add Tablo id’.

Works perfectly! Would I be pressing my luck to suggest that the unique ID be placed at the end of the file name and just before the .mp4 extension? That way, all programs with the same title would be alphabetized together.
Thanks again!

2 Likes

I had exactly the same thought after playing with it a while. The good news is that I already replaced the current version with that change. The bad news is that you’ll need to uninstall the copy on your PC before installing a new copy because I didn’t bump the version number.

1 Like

Even perfecter! Many, many thanks for making this terrific app. Have a good evening.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I still have not got the linux solutions to work for me but this one seems to be working fine. What would be cool if there was a web-based version of this.

1 Like

I have setup in the exclusion filter the following. “Clifford, ABC, Curious, Daniel, Jeopardy!, Odd Squad, Super Why!, Stargate SG-1” (minus the quotes). However, all these shows (ABC World News, Clifford the Big Red Dog, etc…) are still being copied to my computer. I have the program running as a service and it comes on and goes off when its suppose to but it’s copying more than it is suppose to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Let’s start with the easy stuff first. Are you running the latest version (1.1.2)? Can you attach a screen shot?

So if I have the service running and the GUI closed is it supposed to automatically detect new shows and rip them?

Yep, that’s the “special sauce” for TabloRipper - unattended operation.

Install the service, and start it. It’ll poll your Tablo during the time window you’ve defined and rip new recordings during that period. If you want to rip recordings manually, stop the service, then restart it when you’re done.

I can confirm that the unattended operation does work perfectly. After Tablo completes the recording, Tablo Ripper sends it automatically to the Plex server so playback is no longer an issue. It’s like an infomercial… you set it and forget it.

1 Like

Ok it did not work in my test, but I will try again. Any idea how long the delay is after the recording completes before it starts to rip the file?

TabloRipper sleeps (by default) for 5 minutes between polling requests. That is configurable by editing the “settings.xml” file (found here: C:\ProgramData\TabloRipper), but the default value is a balance between being “responsive” and “overloading the tablo with requests”.

There’s no harm in bumping it up to “1” minute for testing.

It starts not too long after. I have it go through MCEBuddy to Plex. MCEBuddy sends me an email after a successful conversion. Last night, Dancing with the Stars was at 9-11pm and I received the confirmation email at 11:26pm so I would say that’s quick.

1 Like

Ok I have it sending mine straight to Plex. I did not have the service start and stop time specified, I thought leaving both blank meant it would always watch and am not sure if that is the case. I have changed it to start at 0:00 and stop at 24:00 and have a recording running now and will see what happens when it is done. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Sorry it wasn’t clear, but “blank” for start/stop means “never poll”. Running from 0:00 - 24:00 means “poll all the time”.

TabloRipper runs FFMPEG with an option that uses all CPUs, which is very fast, but also a big drain on your PC. That’s why I have mine set to run from midnight - 1 AM. Plenty of time to get everything done, then MCEBuddy takes over, removes commercials, and saves the output to Plex.