Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

TabloRipper connects one of several ways:

1. If you hit the refresh button, it’ll ask Nuvyyo’s server for a list of Tablos associated with your account. You can select your Tablo from that list, but that depends on Nuvyyo’s list being up-to-date. Once connected, TabloRipper will attempt to connect to the same IP address next time you start it. When in doubt, hit the refresh button again.
  2. Or, you can enter the static IP address you’ve assigned your Tablo, and that’ll override anything shown in the Tablo list just above it.

I don’t see how setting your Tablo up for remote access would affect anything - unless you’re trying to attach TabloRipper to your Tablo from “separate” networks. That’s possible, but you’ll need to forward a different port and use your actual “real world” IP address in TabloRipper.

More info?

Hi CycleJ,

Okay, I still don’t have access to my Tablo either with the static ID or the name (it just doesn’t appear). I have given up on Remote Access from Microsoft and am using Teamviewer (great product if anyone has a need to Remote Access either a second computer in your home or helping family or friends at another location - it allows you to take over their computer and see what is on their screen - I am using it to access external hard drives attached to laptop that I am converting my DVDs to MP4s and renaming files to Plex convention while I sit on my couch - rough - lol!).

I apparently have something not right to access my Tablo on this computer but I can get to the internet, Tablo is visable as a Network connection and all my other devices are picking up my Tablo (perhaps you want to use Teamviewer to connect to my PC and straighten me out - lol!)

Okay, here’s the links to the Youtube videos I watched to make my changes and maybe that will give you some clue as to what I need to change or edited Tablo Ripper to take in to consideration that this might happen to mess up T.R. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN97srrRGPs (well my history for Youtube is failing me so I can list the other videos (maybe 2 more) that I watched to get the changes I have made to my laptop which now like I say Tablo Ripper is not working).

Can you help me with just this video and seeing what things have been changed? Jan

Let me try to understand what you’re doing. You’ve set up MS Remote Desktop to access your home computer remotely? And you’re trying to run TabloRipper on your remote computer to access your Tablo on your home network?

Let’s start with basics. Tablo apps are designed to connect remotely (from outside your home network). TabloRipper is not. It’s designed to run inside your home network.

If you’re using RDP on a remote computer to connect to a PC running TabloRipper on your home computer, it’ll work just fine. But running TabloRipper on a remote computer requires additional port forwarding on your router + a static IP for your home router. Advanced networking 101.

Hi CycleJ,

I know this is confusing but “Remote Access” has nothing to do with Tablo Ripper for my purposes - I am just using now Teamviewer to just get vob files that have been converted to MP4s from Xilisoft and Aimersoft softwares which may not have titled converted files in the “Plex” convention.

But in the process of trying to use Remote Access, I have done something that is not allowing Tablo Ripper to work - I uninstalled TR with the hopes of setting it back up but when I re-installed it, it still had access to some “setup” file that gives TR my default info - is there a way to delete this file and have TR re-set itself?

I am sorry for the problems that I caused you but I really didn’t know what I was doing to set up Remote Access would cause TR not to work. But I would be very happy if you can get TR working again for me - what could be wrong for TR not to work - it doesn’t connect via static ID and there is no “Livingroom” (my name for my Tablo) no matter how many times I click on “Refresh” and nothing comes up for programs. So what can I do to reset TR and have it talk to my Tablo. Thanks, Jan

Ok, that helps. The remote access thing had me confused. The program keeps its files in c:\ProgramData\TabloRipper. And yes you can delete that folder completely and it’ll start fresh. I just don’t have the uninstall automatically remove it so you won’t lose anything if you uninstall/reinstall.

But I can’t imagine another program touching those files. Is it possible you installed a firewall or antivirus that could be shutting down network access?

Thanks CycleJ,

I will delete/uninstall everything and start again - perhaps it will give me an error message that will tell me if a firewall, etc. is the problems. It’s late tonight but I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Oh, can Tablo Ripper connect directly to the Tablo instead of WiFi? Perhaps it would be faster as I have a 1T of data on my hard drive and it seems like it is taking forever to get back to square one and then just record only shows recorded that day.

Also, did you understand what I am saying about my Magnavox DVR/DVD recorder/player? The only way I can get programs off of it is to recorded the DVR stored programs on DVD and then I have to convert the DVD files (VOB) to MP4 - I will I had a Magnavox Ripper like Tablo Ripper. I don’t think I can plug it up to the Tablo, can I? I would have to have an RCA or HDMI to USB (but the USB on the Tablo is just an out - right - it won’t accept input will it?). I did think of this just now - I have Roxio Easy VHS to DVD and I am using re-recordable DVDs to capture the file (in real time mode) and then copying the files off to my hard drive and erasing my DVD and continuing on - only problem is when I have a VHS longer than 2 hours - I have to do it in parts. So perhaps I can play back my DVR programs (right now, the DVR recording to DVD is quite fast but like I say, I am wasting a lot of DVDs and sometimes I can finalize the DVD to use it on other devices - I just wish there was someone like you programming for the DVRs out there - just thought I would ask again. Thanks again for your help, Jan

Use the ‘sync’ button after your clean install to mark all current recordings as ‘not new’. It syncs the current recording list with the completed list, so you’ll only pick up recordings made after that point in time as ‘new’.

I totally misunderstood why you were still using your Magnavox DVR, but yes I get that offloading those recordings is painful. No, TabloRipper can’t talk to the Magnavox. The only reason it works with your Tablo is that Nuvyyo has an API that facilitates ripping. And that’s one reason I purchased my Tablo in the first place.

Hi CycleJ,

I uninstalled Tablo Ripper and then looked for c:\ProgramData\TabloRipper but I can’t find this directory - all I find is c:\Program Files\TabloRipper and I deleted what was left in that directory (it had a couple of “log” files). I then reinstalled 2.0.6 and it still had my static ID (no Tablo name), where the FMEG file is located, etc. but it still does not work. I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and I am logged on with my name with administrator rights. Please tell me exactly what the Tablo Ripper file name(s) that I am looking for and I will use ZTree to find it (them).

As for why I am still using my Magnavox is because Tablo has not (maybe never will) incorporate Roku and there are things I want to record from Roku to watch later. That’s why I was hoping with your knowledge of DVR files and retrieving them from Tablo that perhaps you could do something similar with my Magnavox - I can view my Magnavox files now in real time either by coax, RCA or HDMI and I can get a cable that takes one of these cables and converts it to USB or perhaps there is something that will allow me to connect something that will send this files WiFi like you are doing with the Tablo. I just need a software program that will accept these files and convert them to MP4 like what you are doing with Tablo Ripper. I hope all this makes sense now. Thanks for your help and I hope to use Tablo Ripper soon. Jan

It’s a hidden folder, but knowing it exists is half the battle.

PS: I don’t have a Magnavox DVR, so it’s highly unlikely I’ll find your solution. Sorry.

Hi CycleJ,

I finally got a clean install this time and it sees my “Livingroom” Tablo now - thanks. I’ll “sync” it and I should be good to go - thanks again, Jan

I’m not sure, but perhaps an RF Modulator (they have them at best buy) might help get your Magnavox output into your Tablo. Just an idea.

Hi CycleJ,

I thought I had the same problem again this morning but then I found out I needed to reboot my Tablo as I couldn’t connect with my Kindle. But I rebooted my Tablo and it was fine until it hung up recording a show - it has done this before and I just delete the program as it goes to 100% and then doesn’t do anything else. It did that a couple of times on the same program awhile back so I just deleted the program. Just now it did the same thing on another program and I deleted it off the Tablo.

It also had a problem yesterday saying that it couldn’t delete program from Tablo but that might have been the Tablo was hung - I didn’t check then so I am not sure. Since I haven’t been having problems with Tablo Ripper except what I have told you, I would suspect the Tablo was hung. Thanks for your help and your program - TR - Jan

I have

1 Like

Hi CycleJ,

I had Tablo Ripper hang up again on another recording - it records to 100% and then just sits - what can I do? Jan

Step #1 is always be sure you’re running the latest version. Step #2 is to enable logging, try that same recording, and send me the log file using a PM (it’s in the ProgramData/TabloRipper folder).

I’ll take a look at what’s going on.

Hi CycleJ,

I turned on logging just now as TR froze again on same program. I am using 2.0.6 - is that the latest version of TR? Jan

Hi CycleJ,

I have logging on and program frozen so how do I send you the file? Jan

Nope, not even close. Get the latest from here:

(You can always find that link by looking at the first post in the TabloRipper topic).

You can send me a PM (private message) by clicking on my icon and selecting “message”.

@TabloTV

Maybe you could merge this topic into the main TabloRipper topic? It’s not beta-related.

Thanks!

10-4.

1 Like