Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

So I am new to this thread, and I apologize if this is covered in the 780+ replies here, but I couldn’t read all of them and maintain sanity

I just setup tablo ripper and have it working. I did a test run on a couple of shows and it seemed to work fine.

Then I added a large number of episodes, and now it seems to be taking forever.

It’s been 24 hours and I think it’s only transferee about 10 hours worth of video.

Am I missing something?

I am just using tablo ripper. No mcebuddy. On a wifi network. Recently reset.

What’s a typical transfer time? My receiving laptop is set not to sleep, but turn off monitor after 15 minutes. Could this be the issue?

Thx!

Sounds like it’s struck on something. What’s happening with the progress bar? I suggest you stop it until we figure this out.

First thing to do is enable debugging in the app. Then start ripping again. That’ll display the command prompt window (running FFMPEG) for each file and should let you see what the problem is if it gets stuck again.

Thanks for the reply.
When I woke up this morning, the Tablo was locked up and the Tablo Ripper couldn’t connect. I am thinking the issue may have been created by allowing the Tablo Ripper to be active during the Tablo “maintenance” time…

I had to reset everything, and added the Log function, and now it seems to be working more normally…

The log has warning about the codec being deprecated and I should be using something else… (don’t remember excactly what it was of the top of my head AVSxxxxx.codec… something something… )

The trick is that if FFMPEG gets “stuck”, so does the main app. TabloRipper waits forever for FFMPEG to finish (I never time it out). I’ll consider adding a timeout if there’s no progress in a future version.

So you’re probably right - your Tablo locked up, FFMPEG locked up (without exiting), and TabloRipper sat there patiently waiting for it to finish.

I wouldn’t worry too much about FFMPEG warnings - if the output file plays correctly, then you can safely ignore them. If not, then you’ll need to hunt down the cause (which usually means updating FFMPEG).

Let me know how it goes.

If I set the flag for** “delete after ripping”** will the tablo record the show again?

Process I am currently following:

• Tablo record
  • Pull data with tablo ripper
  • copy shows to plex

Note: will be looking at mcbuddy later but for now I am just moving the data over to the plex server.
Thanks

The ‘delete’ option doesn’t affect your Tablo recording options. If you set ‘record new’, the episode won’t record again, but ‘record all’ will catch it again if it airs again.

Sounds like you’re experimenting, and that’s the best way to figure out how you want it all to work.

Ok. So I have found some
Shows that are getting stuck on error message.

“Non-monotonous DTS In output stream.”

A whole serious of them.

Any ideas?

I did a quick Google search for FFMPEG + your error message and sure enough, it’s happened to others. What I didn’t see was a quick fix.

Assuming you’re running the latest version of FFMPEG, I suggest you hunt around the web until you find an answer. TabloRipper does allow you to alter the FFMPEG parameters (in the program data settings.XML file). But to experiment the easiest thing to do is pick one of the ffmpeg commands from your log file, open a command prompt, and paste it in.

That way you can run FFMPEG (for one recording) directly and experiment with the parameters.

Hopefully if someone else on this forum has run into the same issue they’ll chime in with a solution!

The last few days I have been getting some strange titles for TV shows. MCEBuddy does not know what to do with the titles and so there is no conversion. Not really spent any time looking for the reason, so thought I’d ask here first in case others have already seen and fixed this. Here is one of the many…

The Simpsons - s2016e0517 - 2016-05-17 000500.mp4

-Rodger

I guess they’re still recording however. I thought they stopped, and I did have some skipped titles, but it’s a MCEBuddy issue, not Tablo Ripper. Been busy helping my son with his new toy and haven’t spent much time this past month or so with Tablo stuff. Maybe look again in a few weeks at it.

1 Like

You did make me look around a bit, and I found an unrelated caching issue. Pull the latest version when you get a chance.

Thanks for looking. It’s been a month or more since I have even looked at new programing to setup for tablo to record! Just too much to do and too little time. Over the next month or so I will become what I used to be again, a painter. My son’s company (which I am part owner in) is a specialty coatings contracting company and instead of giving them the job of preping and painting my house, my wife asked me to do it with her help. I guess this is going to be a time of bonding… Bonding new paint to old and two older people to each other. Some fun eh.

-Rodger

1 Like

CycleJ, first of all thanks for your contributions to the community. I am using Tablo Ripper right now to rip a lot of shows off my tablo. Unfortunately the process is incredibly slow. I have been running the application non-stop for 72 hours with about 25 rips to show for it. The PC running the software is a quad core i7 with 32 gb of ram. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Tablo is wired via ethernet, computer is connected via 802.11ac with ~900 Mbps transfer speeds.

The rate limiting step is ffmpeg, so I’d suggest you stop, enable logging, and pick a single episode to rip. When the rip starts, it’ll open a dos window running ffmpeg. I’m betting that will display what’s causing your slowdown.

Once you see what’s going on, it’ll be easier to figure out what to do about it.

How’s this:

ffmpeg version N-78843-g1c7e2cf Copyright © 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 5.3.0 (GCC)
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libdcadec --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmfx --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-lzma --enable-decklink --enable-zlib
libavutil 55. 19.100 / 55. 19.100
libavcodec 57. 27.101 / 57. 27.101
libavformat 57. 27.100 / 57. 27.100
libavdevice 57. 0.101 / 57. 0.101
libavfilter 6. 37.100 / 6. 37.100
libswscale 4. 0.100 / 4. 0.100
libswresample 2. 0.101 / 2. 0.101
libpostproc 54. 0.100 / 54. 0.100
Input #0, hls,applehttp, from ‘http://10.0.1.130:80/stream/pl.m3u8?s-55pWcX_G9WX8Nh_xmzng’:
Duration: 00:35:16.00, start: 0.517656, bitrate: N/A
Program 0
Metadata:
variant_bitrate : 10000000
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
Metadata:
Stream #0:1: Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 261 kb/s
Metadata:
Output #0, mp4, to ‘\NAI-HOMESERVER\Videos\Unprocessed Tablo Recordings\tmp\Temp_recording.mp4’:
Metadata:
encoder : Lavf57.27.100
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 ([33][0][0][0] / 0x0021), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], q=2-31, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
Metadata:
Stream #0:1: Audio: aac (LC) ([64][0][0][0] / 0x0040), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s
Metadata:
encoder : Lavc57.27.101 aac
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (aac (native) -> aac (native))
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
frame=47565 fps= 26 q=-1.0 size= 498265kB time=00:26:27.03 bitrate=2572.0kbits/s speed=0.873x

That’s the startup, but then it’s a matter of watching it work. Any errors along the way? Also, it appears you’re writing directly to a different server. Perhaps that’s slowing things down? Try a local output folder?

Normally it should take ~5 minutes to rip a one hour show. But that depends on your PC + ffmpeg. You need to experiment!

Hey so I was using version 2.04, which I realize was pretty out of date. I downloaded the newest ffmpeg binary for windows x86_64 and the newest version of tablo ripper and it seems to be working great now.

1 Like

Great! And thanks for reminding me to always suggest updating to the latest version(s) when problems appear!

Hi CylecJ,

This morning I can’t get Tablo Ripper to see Tablo - it can be one of two things - Tablo had an update that I installed last night or that I have done something while trying to set up “Remote Access” - I have two Win 7 computers that I want to set up Remote Access between as one computer is set up with external hard drives attached to one and am running Xilisoft and Aimersoft conversion software to convert my DVDs to MP4 and I have some clean up to do to make these files “Plex” compatible. Where this computer sits is not available to me using it’s keyboard so last night I look at some Youtube videos on how to set up Remote Access and set up some static addresses (hopefully nothing that would interfere with Tablo as I went high - ending numbers 210 and 204 for my computers - could that cause a problem for Tablo Ripper not to find Tablo - can I set it up for a static IP address? Nope just check it out - Tablo Ripper just isn’t talking to the Tablo now - so what can I do? Jan

PS Any help with Remote Access would be nice to is anyone is using it - our router had 2.4 and 5 and one computer is on 2.4 and the other is on 5 is that a possible problem? When I connect Remote Access it either times out or hangs and tells me my password (logon) is not correct but I know it is.

Oh, forgot to say, I can connect to Tablo (it was hanging this morning and I rebooted Tablo) from my Kindle. So this is really a Tablo Ripper issue or how I have things set up for Remote Access - Jan