Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

@wbreedlo
Yep, I added that bug when opening up those fields for edit. Forgot to save your input in the right place. Doh!

Thanks for finding that! There’s a new build that should squash it.

Can this ripper be used with the hard drive removed from the Tablo and connected to the PC?

Sorry, no. It uses the undocumented (yet, easily discoverable) Tablo API to get a list of recordings and remux them to your PC.

You might want to check with @marjamar. I believe he’s the reigning expert on assembling video segments to create full recordings from a standalone hard drive.

@lkahhan @Christian_Marois
New version available that implements a progress bar. I plan on adding a second ‘overall’ progress bar in a future release. Let’s see how this first one goes.

2 Likes

@CycleJ Great thanks, will take a look!!!

Very nice @CycleJ, thanks!!!

Thanks for testing that out for me :smile:

I just added an overall progress bar. Neither one will ever display 100% because as soon as the program is ‘done’ with one thing, it moves on to the next.

But hopefully they’ll help keep track of where you are when ripping manually.

Since the latest firmware, tablo has been unusable pretty much for watching shows. the content records, but playback is just not watchable. constant buffer, etc.

I just wanted to say thanks for this tool. It really does work GREAT. I have ripped all the important stuff off and have loaded up in a DVR section of plex which works perfectly with the default scanners and metadata agents. Very nice work!

I am def going to continue to use this daily.!

Again, GREAT WORK!

:+1:

1 Like

I really appreciate the positive feedback. Thank you!

1 Like

v 1.2.1

When the recorded tablo programs start to populate the left window, these buttons are grayed out:
Start New, Start Selected, Sync, and Start Service.

I can choose a program and move it to the Selected Program window, but buttons are still grayed out.

These buttons are visible when I first start the program.

Any ideas

Thanks

Chas

@cycleJ ok will take a look at the overall bar, tx again! Also, now that I have the setup to extract and copy to PLEX (mostly) working, is there a way for Tablorripper to automatically delete de show/movie on Tablo after ripping to HD?

1 Like

I asked this awhile back, and it is more complex then we think i is. So, most likely no.

-Rodger

Need a little help understanding when things are/aren’t available for you. The intent is that most everything is disabled when the program first starts because it has to pull down the list of all recordings. Depending on how many you have, that can take quite a while. The cursor should indicate it’s “busy” while that’s happening.

Once the list is downloaded, the cursor should change back to “normal” and the appropriate buttons enabled. If the service is running, you can’t download new/selected recordings manually, and vice versa.

Another thing that can permanently disable buttons is that ffmpeg.exe wasn’t found where expected. Maybe that’s your issue?

But yes, when the program first starts, everything appears enabled, except the cursor. It’s not till the conversation with tablo completes that the current button state is implemented.

Let me know what you’re seeing, and we’ll figure out what’s going on.

@Christian_Marois @marjamar

And now you know why (since you discovered that the reverse engineered API document yesterday) . TabloRipper doesn’t need to use any of the “application” API calls from that document. There are a handful of simple HTTP requests that get a list of your tablos, get a list of recordings on the selected tablo, get the meta-data for a selected recording, and play a selected recording (using ffmpeg).

Simple! Seems everyone is doing it these days in a variety of ways (choice is good).

But that API document is a whole different ball of wax. You have to effectively log in to your tablo, then perform actions on the internal recording list. E.G. “delete a recording”.

I doubt it’s really all that hard (given that API document), but I just haven’t expanded the scope of how TabloRipper communicates with your Tablo to implement the API. If/when they get around to publishing a real API document, it might be worthwhile (i.e. take less time and experimentation).

But I totally agree with you both - the final step in TabloRipper should be “and then delete the recording from your list”.

Trying out 1.2.2 today, as I may have to do a factory reset on my Tablo. The new progress bars are a really nice touch.

Interesting story here… over the past week or so, I’ve had an issue with my Tablo locking up (inaccessible by the Chrome web browser or any of my Rokus) but Tablo Ripper is able to get in there when that happens, and I can actually download recorded content. To restore normal operation tho, I have to reset Tablo and then my Chrome web browser has to disconnect and then resync in order to work.

Anyway, I’m busy downloading all content, and may just go ahead and do a factory restore… been waiting to hear back from support since about early-mid last week, but so far, nothing. Tablo Ripper will allow me to save the stuff I haven’t yet watched. Appreciate all your good work.

1 Like

I’ve been biting my lip on Tablo related issues lately. Did a total power outage on my home yesterday (time to install some SmartThings automation), everything looked just fine after rebooting. Tablo failed to record ANY of my scheduled shows last night. Didn’t even try, Picked right back up this morning.

Anyway, not trying to pile on the current wave of angry villagers (with torches). It’ll get better, we know it will.

Thanks for the feedback :sunglasses:

@CycleJ

From Your Dropbox, I downloaded the newer version 1.2.2 just in case (but no change).
I also downloaded the ffmpeg file from there, but compared it to mine and the file size was the same so I didn’t change it.

I checked the task manager and the tablo ripper program was running.

I have been using your fantastic ripper program all along, so I didn’t think finding the ffmpeg.exe file was a problem, (I haven’t changed anything) but just in case I did click on the icon to point the ripper to the ffmpeg file and the grayed out icons now appear …

All is ok…

Thanks

Chas

1 Like

Tablo is… Well it’s, ah… I’m just going to say it – FRANKENTABLO! It is alive, then it’s dead. It obeys then it doesn’t. It dies then comes back as an earlier self (it really did for me). Spooky stuff and right on Halloween Night.

-Rodger

1 Like

I didn’t want to pile on either… I’m sure they understand the issues and are working towards resolution. Throwing insults their way certainly won’t help speed things up. I suspect they’ve been overwhelmed after the last release, as support usually gets back to me pretty quickly, and it’s been a while. Mine is mostly working, and working really well, except for the frequent overnight lockups. Live TV works amazingly well, as does scheduling, recording and playing back content. I’m not plagued by constant buffering or another other issues.

The lockups are why I’m leaning towards a factory reset, to see if that cures things, and I’m betting there’s a better than even chance it will. I’ll probably give the support folks another day or so, and if I still haven’t heard anything, that’s my plan, just after pulling off the rest of the recorded content I still have on there.

Can the background service also have the progress bar so we will know what is being processed & how far along it is