Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

YIPPEE! Ok, so I’m pretty happy with the results. If it found/fixed one “new” special character, I suspect it’s going to handle them all from now on. I’d never implemented a UTF-8 JSON RESTful API client in a windows app before. I’ll add it to my resume :sunglasses:

1 Like

Now that your done can I get the translation to Eastern Mohawk Kanehsatà:ke or western hindi braj bhasha.

Not until I learn to speak it fluently😈

Installed the 32 bit version on an old laptop running windows10, works great! Thank you very much for all your hard work, greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@Projectguy Appreciate the feedback. Now that I know the 32-bit version actually “works”, you’ve motivated me to update it to the match the latest 64-bit version.

Since yo like foreign language support This link contain interesting libraries:

http://unicode.org/resources/libraries.html

A lot of large implementations use ICU since it:

Portable, open-source C/C++ Unicode library with:
charset-independent locales (and multiple locales
simultaneously
supported in same thread); character conversions;
formatting/parsing for numbers, currencies, date/time and
messages; message catalogs (resources); transliteration,
collation, normalization; text boundaries (grapheme, word,
line-break)), etc.

But ICU is a memory pig.

Maybe I should go into the WEB app setting menu and give my tablo a Hiragana name.

Sounds like good reading for interested parties. Me? Spoiled by SOAP APIs that handle encoding and big/little endian automagically. What got me was the extra steps required to get the same behavior using a RESTful API (it did take all of one line of code in just the right place, no memory pigs required).

But I’ll let you Google those links for yourself if you’re really interested.

Hi @CycleJ, I’m having a weird issue that I’m sure is not Tablo Ripper caused, but because part of the problem shows up when I use it I thought I would throw it at you first to see if you might have some insight; if not I’ll throw it at Tablo support.

This problem has shown up twice, both times for the same show (two different episodes of ‘The Walking Dead’, hope the problem isn’t zombie related), but not every episode. On the two problem episodes, the show goes into some phantom mode after about 30 minutes or so, this most recent time it ‘kind of’ ends at exactly 34:42, I don’t recall what the time was for the first one but I know it was very close to that. I say ‘phantom’ and ‘kind of ends’ because after I use Tablo Ripper on it, in Windows explorer it shows a disk size of about 2.4 GB, which is consistent for a one hour show at 720p, but the ‘length’ field shows 34:42. When I look at the recording stats in the Chrome browser app it shows a length of 1 hour and 5 minutes, which is normal, but when I try to watch it in the browser it comes to the 34:42 mark and just constantly loops about the last 5 seconds. If I try to watch it in Windows Media Player after it’s been ripped, when it gets to that 34:42 point it just stops, but if I grab the time bar handle (don’t know the name, I think some call it the scrubber) and yank it to the right, suddenly it starts showing the rest of the show, but at about twice the normal rate, and I can’t do anything more with it to try to get it to behave. Really Weird!

I tried ripping it a second time but got exactly the same result. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the good news is that it’s consistent. But the news goes downhill from there. I’d love to take credit for actually ‘doing something’ with the video inside T-rip, but in reality, all I do is kick off ffmpeg.

Ffmpeg connects to your tablo and remuxes your recording, creating an output file.

I’d be curious to know what happens when you watch those episodes using your tablo? If it’s ‘the same’ as the ripped version, then it’s not ffmpeg. If they’re different, then maybe we need to research (read ‘google’) the issue and see if there’s a ‘no phantom’ switch I can pass.

Let me know what you find, and if I can help, I’ll be happy to.

I don’t have to Google the unicode links. I’ve already implemented I18N for a fortune 500 database company.

Well it’s not exactly the same; the ripped version is the one I mentioned that I can pull on the seek handle at the point that the video stops and force it to play the rest at increased speed (but no audio). When I play the version still on the Tablo HD in a Chrome browser window, it gets to the 34 minute mark and just loops about the last 5 seconds, even though the seek bar shows more video remaining. In both cases it seems apparent that there is actual data there, just not accessible in a normal way.

I’ll go ahead and submit a ticket, maybe Nuvyo support can log in and patch it up somehow. I suppose it could be a glitch with my HDD, but that wouldn’t make sense if it happened twice with the same program.

Anyway, I didn’t think it was Tablo Ripper related, but thought you might have some insight. Thanks.

If I had to guess, I’d suspect a weak signal affecting that specific channel. Or zombies.

Good luck!

I use SmartCutter to hand edit out the commercials. Takes about 5-10 minutes per episode and allows for extreme accuracy… http://www.fame-ring.com/smart_cutter.html

CCR

Looks like I will be manually building my tablo backup rec folder into shows. Won’t take too long I hope, but I need to find the series name, episode name, series number, episode number for each of the rec ts folders. They are numbered, so I image this info is there, just need to find it. I suppose I will, but thought I as here too.

Takes just a couple of minutes to grab the segs and combine them using TMPGEnc Smart Render 4. I find the start and end points as well as it takes just a few seconds. I could take out the commercials if I wanted to, but that maybe 3 or 4 minutes and comskip does it well enough for me. Finish product is concatenated in less then a minute.

This program also does batch mode, so I suppose I could setup this too, if I wanted to.

-Rodger

I see the metadata file, missed it before. It’s all in there, so I can get it out. I’m sure I may have a why to read this in one of my apps already installed. If not, I’m sure I can find one.

Getting too old. Forgot I was already manually getting recordings off this backup before Tablo Ripper came out and before I tried either of the other 3 back devices presented here by users. Had all of the stuff, just had to remember what they were and how to use them.

Converting now and MCEBuddy does the rest. Not 100% sure, but it looks like tablo numbers in sequence each recorded series somehow. This will help me if so, as I don’t really need all that is recorded on this backup, just selected series. With over 1000 recordings to go through yet, it will be quicker if I don’t have to read each metafile to know if I need that recording or not.

-Rodger

Sounds like a huge undertaking. Bet you’ll be glad when you’re finished!

I still have about 1/2 TB on another USB drive to do as well. I am being more selective on what I convert then what I recorded that’s for sure. Your Tablo Ripper is working great BTW. It (and MCEBuddy) just keeps all the current recorded content processed all the way through my PLEX QNap server.

-Rodger

1 Like

I’m getting the following error in the client UI, hoping you can help work around it as it looks like it’s stopping the entire process.

JSON: H�q�&w�a���-� �+^����@�}���,�#���e��� �3���F{�k���E2��[���K�F"?"��HqF�:����z�[GException: There was an error deserializing the object of type Common.DataTypes.RecMetaData. Encountered unexpected character ‘H’.

Wow, that’s a hot mess. My first suspicion is that we’re not connecting to your Tablo, but some other device. Are you using a static IP?