Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

Thanks - I feel stupid now. I wish there was a way that I could just cut and paste the path instead of having to use the gui. I learned PCs back in DOS 2.11 days and even today in Windows 10 I can still type cmd and get a good, old fashioned DOS box. I found the ffmpeg and did properties and was going to just cut and past it, only that doesn’t work. The mistake I made was putting FFMPEG where I did. I should have put it in the path, so the program might have found it.

How do you use the filters?

1 Like

Oh, but you can. Feel free to edit the settings.XML file directly. If you mess it up, you can fix it. Glad you figured out what happened.

Filters are easy. Enter a list of program titles, at least enough to make it unique between the shows you record. They get matched starting from the left side.

For example ‘the good’ would match ‘the good wife’. You can enter the whole title, but you don’t have to.

Each entry in your filter is separated using a comma.

For example, ‘the good, ncis’ will match the good wife and all variations of ncis (ncis, ncis LA).

Now decide if it’s easier to make a filter for the shows you want, or the shows you don’t want.

That’ll determine if you want an ‘include’ or ‘exclude’ filter. Can’t imagine you’d ever want both.

Cool - thank you. Is there a help file or docs on this? Great! I’m glad the community is providing options while we wait for the official one (they may not need it by the time they get around to it, because everyone would have picked their programs and have it all working.

Thanks again.

1 Like

@beastman
There’s a “readme” link in the app, but I’ve done next to nothing with it since creating it at the beginning of this little project.

I’d LOVE to have someone ghost write all/parts of it. No contributions refused!

Are you volunteering? :joy:

Sure - I’m off work every other Friday. I want to get it all working first, so I don’t make mistakes.

What would I need to select in MCEBuddy to get it to add 10db of sound while removing commercials? The Tablo recordings need to be increased. I tried searching mcebuddy site, but no luck and also tried google.

If you can bear it, scan this topic and you’ll find a screen I posted a while back with my MCEBuddy settings. They do a couple things:

1. separate TV shows from everything else (sports, manual recordings, movies), and
  2. boost the volume

If you’re using plex, you’ll want both.

You remember what month? Yes, I do use Plex. Plex is the best thing yet. I might need to see what os is on an on an old computer and set it up just to handle Plex, Tablo Ripper, and MCEBuddy.

About 10/11 days ago. Post #182.

And find a bunch of hard drives, you’ll need them.

-Rodger

1 Like

Hello CycleJ

For the French characters, here’s the log output, I am guessing you want the following line:

2015-10-04 7:49:30 PM Processing: Découverte - Magazine à caractère scientifique animé par Charles Tisseyre.

Yes would be interesting to get the %done, but as you say, in the end, I will probably also run in automatic mode, so not a priority. Tx for taking the time the develop the software, you are bringing to life probably the most requested feature of Tablo. My next step is to figure-out how to automatically copy to PLEX. From reading the page, I see people have successfully done this.

An option would be to have the Plex server look at the output directory from MCEBuddy.

@Christian_Marois
Yep, that’s the line I wanted to see. One solution is to merely replace the accented characters with unaccented. Not a translation, but perhaps more readable?

Something like this:
DAcouverte_Magazine_A_caractAre_scientifique_animA_par_Charles_Tisseyre

Your thoughts? And thanks for the kind words!

@CycleJ

That would be a 0th order solution. The first order solution would be to replace the set of characters with just the letter without the accent. The full best solution would of course be to replace with the appropriate French character. There are not that many characters with accent in French.

We know already that é = é, à = à, è = è

these are the most common in French. Replacing them by e, a, e would be a good first implementation.

I would need to look for other shows to extract other characters: É, À, ê, Ê, ë, ç
If you are up for it to make the changes, I search for them.

Unrelated question: can we have two TabloRipper working simultaneously, but connected to two Tablo, one being at another remote location? From Victoria, BC, getting the Seattle feed for US channels can be quite hard vs location, so I have been thinking of installing a Tablo at another location to get the channels, but good quality streaming can be an issue. Being able to bring the shows locally with TabloRipper would solve my problem. Worse case scenario, I need to manually switch Tablo, but having both run in automatic would be great.

Thanks!

Aren’t most of the French accent marks contained in the up half of the single byte code set. Starting at hex C0. And unless it’s explicitly built into a tool there is no correlation between hex E0 and a lower case “a” which is hex 61.

Hello Jolly.

I like the VM approach idea.

I went through the Tablo schedule of the only French channel I have and could not find example of any other characters. The three above would probably cover more than 95% of all cases. I am more than happy to keep an eye to try to find more.

@Christian_Marois

How about this: Découverte - Magazine à caractère scientifique animé par Charles Tisseyre

Aren’t at least 17 french characters with accent marks. And these have both upper and lower case. Plus left and right angle quote. Plus euro sign. Plus accent vowels, consonants, and punctuation.

If only i18n were so easy.

Not easy, just tedious. Feel free to send in conversions as they show up in your Tablo. I’ll add them to the substitution table.

At least we’re not looking at a full on i18n issue. Just French…

i18n consists of two parts: localization and internationalization. I don’t know what I would call the proposal.

For windows machines, character manipulation typically run in two byte little endian utf-16 mode. Linux/android typically run in utf-8 mode, where a single character is represented by from one to five bytes. While html typically returns utf-8 it can return utf-16 or utf-32 in either big or little endian.

Thanks for the 411, I fully understand the issues. But unless you have a better solution, I’ll just handle it using character substitution. Light weight.

@Christian_Marois
Just uploaded a new version containing your changes. Please let me know if you notice additional substitutions, and I’ll add them as we go.