Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

The issue you might run into is that I get the list of “what’s available” from your Tablo. That’ll work, assuming it knows about the files on your other drives. I skip files in the Tablo index if it can’t locate them (e.g. the drive is offline), but have no way to pick up files that aren’t in the Tablo index.

PS - MCEBuddy does have an option to remove input files upon conversion. Might save you a step?

All of today and most likely most all of last night Tablo Ripper has not been ripping. I woke up to an error message in the status box. Something about not having access to tablo as I recall. I used http://192.168.1.17:18080/plex/rec_ids and see about a million numbers so I guess I have access to tablo. I did a full restart on tablo and Tablo Ripper, didn’t help. Did a reset on the router and cable modem and computer, didn’t help. I can manually start Tablo Ripper without a problem.

So, I think there is something not working in Tablo Ripper for some reason. I am in the middle of a security scan a present, but when that is over I will disable antivirus/antimalware, then do a full reset on Tablo Ripper and see if it starts ripping or not.

Any other things you can think of to try CycleJ?

-Rodger

Any progress? If the foreground works, but not the background service, the big difference is windows permissions on the output folder. By default the background service runs as a system user, not you.

It works, it’s just not always working. It acts more like it’s a tablo/network issue then anything else. Almost like it’s getting tired of doing this.

I have caught up with all the content BTW. So, now it will only have maybe a few dozen rips to do a day.

I suppose I will need to find a blank spot in my recording and try the 2nd HD and see if I can get content off it. If I can, then I wonder when the recording schedule catches up, if tablo will record properly.

Sure glad you built Tablo Ripper CycleJ, once I get by all of these past recordings, it will be a breeze to keep all content current.

-Rodger

I have experimented, sometimes accidentally, with grabbing multiple recordings at the same time. Mostly due to debugging the app, stopping it, and not allowing the ‘ffmpeg kill’ to occur.

And that seems to make my tablo quite unhappy, with a reboot fixing the issue. Next time you see it get ‘tired’, check your windows task manager. How many ffmpeg threads are running?

PS: And now you know why I don’t try to grab more than one file at a time. Seems like an obvious way to speed things up, but the Tablo can’t keep up.

1 Like

I can do one at a time when I get all caught up, but until then I need to multitask. When tablo is working normally, I have had 8 titles ripping at once and could watch new titles come into the monitored folder. Had the 8 CPU’s pegged numbers of times, which is pretty hard to due on this 5 GHz machine. I have a sneaking suspicion this has to do with how many programs might currently be recording, as well as background activities such as program guide updates, internal and external housekeeping and perhaps even slow-server side issue at tablo HQ.

Well, might see about swapping HD now.

-Rodger

But that’s MCEBuddy, right? TabloRipper does use the ffmpeg option that grabs available cpu cores to speed things up. But it only grabs one file at a time from your tablo, using one ffmpeg thread. And that’s why it’s fast, the more cores the better. It also ‘copies’ all audio/video streams without conversion.

Then MCEBuddy kicks in and processes as many input files (from TabloRipper) as possible.

That is all correct. Using the max threads (8) MCEBuddy can process, by rough count, MCEBuddy will convert/comskip about twice as many titles as Tablo Ripper gets ripped in the same time. It’s a sight to see when everything is up and working full speed.

-Rodger

@cyclej I downloaded the latest version and fir some reason the foreground won’t start.

Should I have Uninstaller the old one first? oh are installed but the older one missed some recordings that the newer one found.

Let’s start with some basics to help me understand what’s going on. The foreground and background won’t operate at the same time. If the background is started, you must stop it before the foreground is available to start. That’s so they won’t conflict with each other.

Is that what you’re seeing? If not, a screenshot would help.

Took about 10 hours to get the backup transferred to the 2 TB drive. Drive connected up fine to tablo and all the files/structure seem intact in Tablo Ripper. Decided to do a manual rip of about 90% of the files. Ripping now. Will post back as more develops.

Very nice feeling to know I now have offline backups that can go back to a tablo HD and work!

-Rodger

How long did it take you to accumulate that many shows? Good thing you’ve got a hi-tek PC to process it all.

Should be much easier to keep up with once you finally do catch up. Thanks for the stress-test!

About 6 months now I’d guess. I like alot of variety so I record a bunch of shows.

-Rodger

Wow excellent software!!! Was dreaming about being able to extract stuff out of the Tablo and now it’s feasible, great job! Suggestions for future upgrades:

1- Having a % done while extracting
2- Support of other languages (for me French). All French accents é è à etc are returning as bunch of symbols. Not sure how these are handled in Tablo.

Merci. Since I have no idea how Tablo handles French, maybe you could capture some of the API data for a show for me? Could you enable the debug setting, download a show, and either send me the entire LOG file (created in the c:/ProgramData/TabloRipper folder), or at least enough to show me what it looks like?

Either a PM or just post the output here.

And one of these days, I plan on adding a progress bar. Just haven’t missed it since I use the background service 99% of the time. Autopilot.

I do not think anything is running. I still have the old version and the latest version. Should I remove the old one? It didn’t find a recording I knew was there, so prior to contacting I checked my version.

Here is a screen capture before the recordings were found, and notice that the foreground does have an option to start.

Here is a post as soon as the list came back. Notice that the Foreground is grayed out. Also notice the number of shows wrapped around. I positioned it so you could see the T were before A. Maybe something isn’t dim big enough.

Move some titles to “Your Selected Recordings” and see if your buttons come back.

-Rodger

I did that and they don’t. I even tried deleting some from the Tablo so there would not be as many. I tried putting Austin in selection filters but everything still came up. I didn’t want to post to many images.

I even tried moving everything it found to be recorded and the forefront button didn’t come back

Any possibility you moved ffmpeg.exe after setting the folder for it?