Tablo for Plex - Now available in the Plex Channel Store

Guys,

Loving the plug in and can only hope it gets better and better!

One of the issues that I am having I think is related to the fact that it is displaying the video using a playlist and not a direct link to the file.  Is this a limitation in Tablo API or in the fact that it is a Channel?  Since it is a playlist, is this why Plex can’t keep track of last played location and we can’t use seeking forward or reverse?

There is nothing worse than bouncing out of a show we are watching to let the kids watch something, then have to go back in and explain to the wife that  "sorry - we can’t fast forward, or no - it doesn’t know where we left off"

Again - thanks for working on this!!!

What! Video seeking doesn’t work through Plex!? Say it ain’t true. Come on, who would accept that. Somebody say it ain’t true for everybody or I’ll lose faith in this community.

I don’t use Plex because of the server requirement but fully support API access like this in a product. 

But @mtuckman who can watch TV like that, no seeking! Value your life man!! Find a way to get it to work or move on to a solution that does. 

BTW, Tablo stores video files as hundreds of short 4-10? second segments… the playlist is likely how it’s all pieced back together.

@Thumbs

Oh we make due :slight_smile:  

Hearing Tablo stores the video files as short segments explains the playlist and also the issue with seeking - makes copying these files to the server all the more important. 

I haven’t tested it a whole lot but I know many of the PLEX keyboard short cuts work with the TABLO channel (i only tried the jump back/forward commands as I really wanted a way to commercial skip while using the channel) (on my iOS device I get the skip controls automatically but they seem to be missing when using the plex channel on a web browser)

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201670487-Keyboard-Shortcuts

@thumbs seeking works fine on all my test platforms (roku, ios, dlna)

Any suggestions for trying to get the Live TV portion working remotely to a device such as a roku?

Any suggestions for trying to get the Live TV portion working remotely to a device such as a roku?

Why are you using plex for Roku. Tablo already has a channel for Roku.

@girimurthy I think the issue is the word “remotely”.  The roku plex client can connect to a remote PMS.  I think the TabloTV client for roku is strictly local LAN.  Even if it’s not, currently, remote requires pairing… and a remote Roku device might be hard to pair to a TabloTV (you’d have to borrow it, put in on the local LAN for a bit, etc.).

@girimurthy I think the issue is the word "remotely".  The roku plex client can connect to a remote PMS.  I think the TabloTV client for roku is strictly local LAN.  Even if it's not, currently, remote requires pairing... and a remote Roku device might be hard to pair to a TabloTV (you'd have to borrow it, put in on the local LAN for a bit, etc.).

My bad - did not read it right. Sorry

We can confirm our Roku channel is not Tablo Connect enabled. Yet. So in this case, using Plex for Roku for remote streaming makes sense. 

We can confirm our Roku channel is not Tablo Connect enabled. Yet. So in this case, using Plex for Roku for remote streaming makes sense. 

Hopefully getting the Roku channel to have Tablo Connect enabled is on the roadmap because that would be perfect when I take my Roku on the road with me for use in hotels.  But until then, I am able to play back recorded shows on the Roku through Plex, but can only play a few live TV channels (oddly a channel for live weather, and the HSN channel) through Plex -> Roku.

Every other channel (the ones I would actually want to watch) gives a “Video Unavailable - We’re unable to play this video, make sure the server is running and has access to this video” error.

@skraut - Enabling Tablo Connect with Roku is on the laundry list of improvements we want to make for that device. Stay tuned!

TABLO channel disappeared from PLEX Channel list.

I had the Tablo Plex app working perfectly (locally via WiFi, not remotely) but then the Tablo app disappeared from my PLEX Channel list. When I went to try to re-install it, it showed up as already installed. I then attempted to uninstall/re-install. It appeared to uninstall properly but when I tried to re-install, the little spinning wheel thingy spun indefinitely. Once again app is indicated as installed but does not appear in my PLEX Channel list.

This problems seems to similar to other reports in this thread but I do not see the solution.

I am running PLEX Windows version 2.2.4.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

I had the Tablo Plex app working perfectly (locally via WiFi, not remotely) but then the Tablo app disappeared from my PLEX Channel list. When I went to try to re-install it, it showed up as already installed. I then attempted to uninstall/re-install. It appeared to uninstall properly but when I tried to re-install, the little spinning wheel thingy spun indefinitely. Once again app is indicated as installed but does not appear in my PLEX Channel list.

This problems seems to similar to other reports in this thread but I do not see the solution.

I’m encountering the exact issue.

Anyone is able to resolve this?

Thanks.

@wwkdes I had a similar problem, but it seemed to go away when I did the following (I don’t know exactly which step worked)

After I had the problem where the Tablo Plex Plugin just spun when I initially installed it. I tried installing something else, to see if it was a problem with the plugin, or my Plex (National Geographic channel if I recall, but I don’t think that makes any difference) and that plugin installed just fine.  I uninstalled the Tablo plugin, installed yet another plugin, (TWiT.TV), which also installed just fine, so I tried reinstalling the Tablo plugin, and it installed and ran as well.

I have no idea if the other channels helped, but when I did those steps, the Tablo channel worked.  Hopefully it helps for you.

@skraut  It was certainly worth a try, but did not work for me.  Thanks for the suggestion though!  Hope it helps others with the same problem.

In the meantime, I am getting "OK" remote access to TABLO via Chromecast.  Not nearly as well integrated as PLEX (when it was working) but better than nothing.  :-(

@JohnT The version you listed for plex isn’t the server version it is the web client version. The latest versions of plex have been extremely buggy and I highly recommend using the version before they introduced the new transcoder and trailer support 0.9.8.18 seems to be better for me

@Davidr, while what you say may be true, having been a part of the Plex community for awhile, they simply will not support you at all if you’re not running the latest PMS.  Just saying…

@cjcox @JohnT I’ve reached out to the plex developers and provided some logs, at the end of the day, its up to them to want to fix the issues in the latest builds. I have an old version running at the house without issue and a newer version of plex that will only work inside my house. I’ll update everyone if I make progress getting support from the plex team. 

*** For Everyone ***  @nkouts
If you are using the latest version of plex and you want to stream remotely, It seems to work if you turn off Direct Stream and Direct Play in the plex Client, This is done in the web client by click Settings->Show Advanced->Player then unchecking both options. This has to be done per device so you would need to do the same thing on your phone and any other computer you use as well as on any other devices such as roku’s

Also I have just committed support for Sports in the Plex plugin, that should make it into the channel store in the next week or so

@Davidvr awesome on the Sports thing.  I sort of knew about the other things.  Keep up the good work!

@cjcox They already merged it the sports support so it should be live now in the channel store version