Tablo for Plex - Now available in the Plex Channel Store

I meant every word I said, and you might want to reconsider your post if you think the Plex app isn’t sactioned by Nuvyyo since they felt it worthy to wear their trademark.

This is a 3rd party (Open Source) project using Early 3rd party API access to the Tablo device. That is why it is listed under 3rd Party Apps, in the end anyone will be able to write an application using the API. The idea being anyone could write their own application, plugin or interface to make the Tablo work however you see fit.  The bugs you are experiencing lately are not bugs in our plugin but bugs in Plex itself that we have no control over nor does Nuvyyo. We wrote this plugin in our free time and will continue to improve it as we can. That said this plugin is open source on git hub, please feel free to fork the code and fix any issues you see. 

@cjcox - sorry you are having some issues with the FREE third party ap that David and I created in our free time.

We are both happy to help get your issues fixed so that you have an acceptable experience using the app.  If you could please pm me, I will provide you with our email addresses and you can then email us a list of all the issues you are seeing.  If you could also please include the log files from when the issue occured, that would be greatly beneficial.

You are also welcome to enter issues / errors / enhancements to the git hub repo.

Again - sorry you are having issues.

Hey guys. Can’t for the life of me get this installed on Ubuntu, Plex 2.2.3. Tried both through the Plex Channel Store (spinning loading icon never stops) and manually via the Github repo (placed in the proper place but nothing is showing up). 

Any ideas?

@adamfox Try downloading a newer build in the 9.8.x range . The 9.9 plex releases are almost all broken. 

Still no dice on 0.9.8.18

The problem with the Plex ecosystems is that “they” won’t support you until you’re running the latest… and some cases I’m talking Plex-pass latest and not the public releases.

With that said, I guess I run the TabloTV Plex app successfully using 0.9.9.13

Most of my issues are things easily fixed in the code (message to devs: hint use the same fix you did for movies for sports).

I had problems with the tablo plug in and I had to manually scrub all the various “tablo plugin” file bits and crufty bits from my plex install, the preferences, cache etc… on the plex server (I run the non plexpass - public Version 0.9.9.12 version myself) (linux) … once I purged all the left over bits along with the main tablo bundle file … the second time I tried it just worked… the tablo channel even works nicely on my iPhone plex app in lieu of an official iphone iOS Tablo app.

I am glad to see someone taking their time and effort to make this 3rd party app and supporting it.  After a quick bit of testing, it seems to have basic functionality and stream videos well.  I’m using it with Amazon FireTV.

The top features I’d like to see are:
  • Video controls (FF, RW).  Currently, it only seems to stop or start, but offers no video control.  Optimally, being able to navigate to the playback bar and right/left to skip ahead/back as I can with other videos would be best practices.
  • Restart/Start Over.  Currently the video starts where it left off.  If there is only one setting, then this is the one to have, since nothing is worse than accidentally bouncing out of a show and having it restart by default.  This is especially true until there are video controls.  Otherwise if it restarted, there would be only realtime playback to wait to get to the part where you exited.  Best Practices would be to offer a delete option as well.  If not as part of the selection menu, then ask to delete at the end.
  • Organization.  Same shows organized under a folder, same channels, same day.  Some (preferrably multiple) organizing options.
Thanks again and I look forward to seeing features and stability improvements.

Is Scheduled Recording supposed to work in the latest version? All I get is this channel is not responding, on a browser. On Android on my phone I get this dir is empty. On iPad I get unable to load scheduled recordings, the server encountered an error. @Davidvr

TABLO channel disappeared from PLEX Channel list.

I had the Tablo Plex app working perfectly (locally via WiFi, not remotely) but then the Tablo app disappeared from my PLEX Channel list.  When I went to try to re-install it, it showed up as already installed.  I then attempted to uninstall/re-install.  It appeared to uninstall properly but when I tried to re-install, the little spinning wheel thingy spun indefinitely.  Once again app is indicated as installed but does not appear in my PLEX Channel list.

This problems seems to similar to other reports in this thread but I do not see the solution.

I am running PLEX Windows version 2.2.4.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

First of all, thanks for this fantastic add on, and all the hard work that went into creating it.  The fact that it existed is one of the main reasons I picked up a Tablo, so that I could view live TV on my numerous DLNA devices.

I managed to get everything set up with Plex and the Tablo channel and was able to view live and recorded TV just fine through the Plex applications on both of my Samsung Bluray players and from the Plex application on the Roku and iPhone.  I know the latter have their own dedicated Tablo apps, or access to the web app, but for the Roku at least, I can’t do remote streaming.  As I’m often spending weeks at a hotel, I often toss the Roku in my suitcase and plug it into the TV at the hotel.  So to test this I went over to a neighbor’s house and tried to use the Roku.

While the Roku could play recorded TV from the Plex channel just fine, any time I tried to play Live TV, I would select the channel from the Plex application, and then the following error would appear:

Video Unavailable - We’re unable to play this video, make sure the server is running and has access to this video

While I was there I also checked my iPhone, it would throw a “The Operation could not be completed, an unknown error occurred (-12643)” error whenever I tried to play anything live.  And again, I could play anything recorded just fine.

I’ve been just tinkering with the settings on my iPhone today and in the Advanced options for the Plex app on the iPhone, I have turned Direct Streaming off, and set Direct Play to never, and I’m able to view about 80% of the live channels I try.  I believe the channels I can’t view are broadcasting in 1080i instead of 720p or sd.  

I’ll do some more experimenting with the remote Plex through the Roku tonight, but was just curious someone knew what settings I should use, either on the Plex server, or on the Plex application clients which would allow remote viewing of live TV.

Tried to access Tablo TV from Plex app on Amazon Fire TV yesterday and Plex app couldn’t access Tablo.   Took a look today at Plex server running on Synology NAS and Tablo TV channnel disappeared from Plex.  If I go into “whats new” section app still has a check mark and believes it is installed however its not.   Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Tablo TV app on Plex server but same thing.    As this initially worked when i installed it a 2-3 weeks ago, not sure where the problem is but there is definitely a problem somewhere.

Plex server version Version 2.2.4

@7up @PiX64 I am continuing to have the same problem with the PLEX TABLO channel plug-in.  It was working quite well for a while, providing a good remote solution, until the channel disappeared over a week ago.  When I go to re-install, I am told it is already installed and the bundle appears in the Plug-in folder.  Sure would like to know how to get it back and working again!

The Plex channel works for me quite well, except that sports don’t show up in the recent recordings.  Looking at the plugin files, it appears that “TV Shows” and “Movies” are accounted for, but not sports.  

It would be really great if there was just a section that listed “All Recordings”, and showed everything that Tablo had recorded.  Hell, I could do without artwork on those, if need be.

BTW, if you find that you have the channel installed in Plex, but are having issues with it, then Stop the Plex server, delete the c:\users\\AppData\Local\PlexMediaServer directory and restart Plex.  You will have to reinstall your channels, but this has worked for me every time.  Honestly, once you get your channels setup, you shouldn’t have to do this.

@JohnT - I recently purchased a FireTV to try it out and I have seem the same issue creep up.  I have also noticed that this issues is rearing its ugly head on the Android version of plexpass app.  I am trying something out to see if the matter improves.  If it does ill reach out for a few testers before shipping it over to Dave for inclusion in the Git Hub and utlimately the channel.

No promises that this will work, but Im hopeful

Hey guys - have Tablo and Plex all setup. Works great locally… but when I try and play tablo remotley in my iPhone through plex I get the following error:

The operation could not be completed. An unknown error occurred (-12643).

Any idea what could be causing this? Tablo works fine remotely on my ipad using their app.

@bromo999 - have the same issue as you … cannot play Tablo remotely via the Plex channel. Were you able to figure it out (turning off direct stream also did not work for me and reproduced the same error you are getting).

I am trying to add the Tablo channel to my Plex and it circles and circles when i try to install.  If I go back to the page, it says that it is installed and that i have the most up to date version but it does not appear on my list of channels.  Do I need to save something somewhere?  Thanks!

I am trying to add the Tablo channel to my Plex and it circles and circles when i try to install.  If I go back to the page, it says that it is installed and that i have the most up to date version but it does not appear on my list of channels.  Do I need to save something somewhere?  Thanks!

@btroester As you can see above, I have exactly the same problem that you are describing.  The only difference is that the Tablo Plex app worked fine for me for a while before disappearing from the installed Plex channels.  I am hopeful that @Pix64 will be able to find and implement a solution soon.  When it was working, the Tablo channel was a very good solution for remote (and local) access.