Tablo for Plex - Now available in the Plex Channel Store

10-21-16 USTVnow Plex plugin again not working :thumbsdown:

Still looking for Tablo update for Plex…hope I haven’t missed it

Have the newest Tablo firmware and newest Plex server version. Says cannont connect to Tablo. Anyone else confirm these versions do work together?

You are correct. The latest tablo update 2.2.12 removed support for the older API.

Thanks for the quick response. I’m guessing developers will be working on updating to work with the newer API soon?

Plex seems to connect to almost everything but a garbage disposal. I’m wondering why Tablo has not produced a plug-in for Plex. There used to be a huckster on TV that said about his product…‘set it and forget it.’ If they created a Plug-in, wouldn’t it be similar?

The PLEX channel was a labor of love for two User Community members who are no longer able to work on updates due to family commitments.

@crichardso Had begun some changes this summer but I’m not sure where that has landed.

If someone is interested in taking up the cause, let us know and we can get you access to the API documentation.

I have to agree with Davebhc71. Having a good Plex Channel allows your Tablo to have more connectable devices as mentioned, Plex connects to everything.
I recently just bought a Tablo and am still very new to it and one of the reasons I bought it was because it had a supported Plex channel.
I’m not a great programmer by any means but I might be interested in taking a look into the existing channel and see if it just needs the API updated in order to work?

I have no idea what state the code is in, but following the download link in the original post lands you here

Is there somewhere for good documentation of the Tablo API? You said it’s updated with recent firmware upgrade?

There is but we’d need to get you into our developer program. It would involve signing a basic NDA.

Pop me a PM if you’re game!

@TabloTV you should remove “Tablo has a Third-Party Channel for Plex” from you web site. I purchased Samsung knowing it supports Plex only to find out not only does the Tablo Plex plugin not work but nobody is supporting it. This is very misleading and frustrating. Tablo makes it very hard for a person with a Samsung Smart TV. The web app doesn’t work, the Plex plugin doesn’t work, is there any way to watch Tablo on a smart Samsung without purchasing yet more hardware with another remote?

I agree with others here, my Tablo purchase was predicated on it’s compatibility with Plex. Soon as you, “TABLO” started leveraging free software to enhance your position your credibility became tied to those applications.

Personally TABLO’s value to me is tied to Plex and TabloRipper. Without those two apps TABLO becomes a remote “outpost in the wilderness” that no longer gets supplies.

I buy hardware to support what has become an ecosystem, I chose you guys over SiliconDust for how well you fit… and it appears I am not alone. (Plex Pass lifer by the way). Kinda broke my heart when Plex announced new support for SD HDHomeRun as part of their DVR package.

Maybe a bag of dog treats for Barkley is in order? Future hardware sales may depend upon it.

@CandL I agree with you to the extent that I cannot understand why Tablo seems to shun the PLEX platform altogether when it seems so good and seems to be becoming ubiquitous. There must be a reason; I wish they would explain it.

On the other hand, I can only praise @TabloSupport for the speedy help they provided me in backing off the last firmware upgrade which killed the Tablo channel in PLEX. I installed 2.2.12 before realizing what it was going to do.

I second (third, fourth, whatever) this. Have not yet asked to be rolled back, but thinking about it (trade-off is the annoying nag screen to update). From the Plex app code that was referenced elsewhere, it seems way too complex for an amateur but very doable for a full-time coder, in which I am surprised, like the rest of you, that Tablo hasn’t just arranged on their own to update it. (Obviously they know their API so much better than anyone else.)

But then I remain awed and amazed that CycleJ has been their enormously thoughtful and skillful volunteer developer with Tablo Ripper. By now they really should have fully folded him/it into the family and made it the “official” way to archive. The only thought to the contrary I have had is that perhaps for copyright reasons they do not want to officially endorse archiving (others’ example notwithstanding).

If Plex for Tablo had a similarly capable and dedicated person not only would Plex be shining for Tablo, but their remote-connect issues would be moot (at least for those with an always-on processing unit in addition to the Tablo), as largely would be drive-migration issues, and the overall offering platform would be much more robust and appealing.

I too find this Plex-Tablo Ripper-Plex eco-system superb and hugely reinforcing. I hope daily that Tablo will continue to have a big enough business to keep going (since we depend, among other things, on their server to be able to operate much of the device), on CycleJ’s health and availability (to keep up with changes to their API, beyond his amazing continual and rapid improvements), and for Plex to remain viable for remote connection (since Tablo periodically loses connectivity for devices long enough away from “home”).

2 Likes

I think maybe it is a business model decision for Tablo. Are they a:

1. Hardware company with minor supporting software
  2. A software company that makes hardware.

Personally I see them as Hardware, and I think breaking into the Software side (i.e. Plex) will be very difficult. Sure they need to provide interfaces but a TABLO app on my phone, for me it is a curiosity at best.

It would be interesting to see a slide on where TABLO sees it’s self fitting in… or are the an isolated system.

Good conversation … hopefully “management” is at least listening and thinking

Hardware is useless if you don’t have the right software stack. Every time I try to better and simplify my video experience Tablo seems to be the limiting factor. The box works but lack of smart tv support keeps getting in my way. I want to simplify not get more complex.

Ugh. I just ordered this last night, thinking I was going to be able to use it with my Plex set-up. If that’s not going to be possible anytime soon, I think I will have to cancel my order.

They don’t advertise it to work with Plex anywhere so if you bought it only for that third party unsupported plug in you should return it.

If you purchased before the update was posted here https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-plus-plex-equals-awesome/ Like I did. Then it does look as if it was advertised as a working solution. I should have investigated a little closer before purchasing but it’s not a total deal breaker for me because I mainly bought because my house didn’t have coaxial ran. But it would be great if Tablo would support a plex solution and that would open a whole lot of new devices Tablo would be available to.

That Blog post says that it was made by 2 Tablo fans and not Tablo themselves. You where relying on 2 Fans to keep it going. It sucks it stopped working for you but I sure don’t feel bad for that guy that just bought it because like you said they updated that post to say it no longer works.