Tablo Apple TV App (4th Gen) Early Access Program

The thing is, MPEG-2 content is also incompatible with iOS, not just tvOS (which is a kind of altered form of iOS with some shared underlying structural similarities). And that, I think is why there is both confusion and consternation about the apparent delay. The iOS/iPadOS apps work without any of the issues that I routinely see on the tvOS app.

2 Likes

You’re right. I think that with the issues you and I see reported, there are other underlying factors. The AppleTV can be hooked up to any TV and sound system whereas your iPad is its own entirety. Too many factors to count for make it a harder problem than I can imagine.

How many software developers does Apple have? They number in the hundreds if not thousands.
How many developers does Tablo have? Maybe a dozen if that many. If I remember correctly, at one time they had four

1 Like

Right. That is my point. Apple has invested the resources to complete its development cycle. Tablo, evidently, has not. Which goes back to the larger point I was making.

With what resources?
“In 2022, the company was purchased by E. W. Scripps, a television broadcasting conglomerate, for $14 million USD.”
I don’t imagine Scripps has as deep pockets as Apple does.

How hard can this be. All apple has to do is distribute the OS with the h.262 codec. Or allow it to be optionally installed. Of course they prefer apple users are funneled into itunes.

Scripps doesn’t have Apple’s resources, but neither is coding a single app anywhere near the resource-intensive development that Apple is responsible for. To reiterate my point, the issue isn’t that Apple has resources to hire programmers and that Scripps doesn’t (after all, it had the money to buy an entire product line!). It’s that Apple does a better job of allocating resources to ensure it can (typically) adhere to its stated goals and timelines. That is an issue at the management level. I’m sure the programmers at both companies work very, very hard at what is often a thankless job.

2 Likes

Fortunately, I was added to the Apple TV Beta Test Team late last week. Everything seems to be working quite smoothly!

1 Like

I just signed up. Coincidentally, I am a Software QA analyst. I have a brand new Tablo that I have been using on Roku streaming stick 4k. I just got an Apple TV 4k and was surprised to find that the Tablo app is not available. I’m very interested in the beta test as Id like to get rid of the Roku.

1 Like

Just picked up a Tablo 4th gen today. So far everything is great. Can’t wait to try the Apple TV App as that’s my main device.

I purchased my Tablo 4th Gen in Fall 2023 based on the AppleTV “coming soon” messaging. I have an iPad Tablo app but rarely use it, as I watch television on my AppleTV most of the time. I definitely would have postponed the Tablo purchase had I known that in late August 2024 there would be no AppleTV app available.

1 Like

I have expressed that opinion a couple of times also.

Since there are no subscription fees just what do you save by simply postponing your purchase. And you could have joined the beta test team at anytime within the last 6 months.

2 Likes

I just submitted my request to join the beta test team. Hopefully I will hear back soon.

In my case I have absolutely no desire to be a beta tester. I want a working app not a beta. That is all I want nothing more and so far between Roku’s never ending problems and a “Coming Soon” Apple App I am not sure Tablo has the talent to make this all work. So I use Fire Sticks mostly because I already had some and they work ok. Certainly better than Roku based on all the problems. The company does not seem to bother to communicate on this forum. Communications would go a long way if they cared. The beta is seven months in now so it must be filled with holes or they would announce a release point. Do I like the concept of this product. Absolutely…Do I like or respect the company not so much as they make no attempt to interact with this community and from some posts make it very difficult to return a defective unit without making the customer jump through hoops. Some people here feel the need to defend the company and Tablo is content to let them be their voice. Too bad. Tablo should be more active and customer centric.

This is a user forum not a company forum like other products have.

So the gen 4 works for you when using the fire tv sticks. And since you don’t want to join beta everything should be okay until the appletv app is released. A released appletv app doesn’t mean it works 100% of the time for all users.

3 Likes

I am 100% sure it won’t work for many users even after 6 or more months. I don’t think that is even a question. After all which app have they developed that has worked out of the box or even after a few iterations?

Just got my Tablo and applied. Thank you!

And if you think about it, they’re at Roku version 0.8.700 …

Dennis_Howard: Each app is still a work in progress. Isn’t that how all apps are? If you signed up for the beta, you would know why it’s being held back right now. There’s really no difference in using a firetv app that’s got a few quirks or an appleTV app that’s got a few bugs.

By each app I assume you mean Tablo apps. I don’t care why it has not been released. For the tenth time, approximately, I am not interested in being a Beta tester. I am a customer and I want to see a product. That’s all. I know you mean well but I have other concerns on my plate than helping Tablo.

1 Like