Roku Vers. 7 build 9044 out - no LPW while watching recordings

After giving the new Roku V7.0.9044 firmware a workout over the past few days, I’m a believer. On Thursday night, I watched the 3 hour Survivor finale that I had recorded the previous night, followed by a half hour of a live TV broadcast. There were zero issues, even though on Survivor, I had multiple fast forwards and pauses. On live TV over the past several days, not a single instance of buffering.

At the height of the lockup/reboot issue, I bought a Nexus Player, which worked really well for me, but I think Roku has a slightly better video quality, so I’m glad it’s working reliably again. There are some things the Nexus Player does better… it’s certainly faster than the Roku in terms of response, and I can easily browse and play videos that I have on my NAS. It also has a few other things that I like better than ROku, so the two players will continue to coexist on my main living room TV.

1 Like

I too have experienced the improvements, but I wanted to see how everyone else was doing with their load times during the FF process. I still have the 10-15 second delay. Sometimes its better, others its worse. Just wanted to see if that was still going on.

Overall the stability has drastically improved and the LPW’s have all but gone away. I still get one here and there, but they are minimal and don’t cause the serious interruptions that we had before. I am very happy since we will be having lots of visitors over the holidays and they will be able to actually watch TV!

Load time for me is about that as well on the first show watched when I go into the app. But subsequent shows load faster. FF/RW is about 3 seconds or less

So far (about 8 hours) I have had one LPW on the new firmware. The screen was black for less than a second with the LPW message and then played normally. This happened during a heavy rain storm. No problems with FF/Rewind.

Tom

Was that live TV? If not the storm shouldn’t matter

10 to 15 seconds isn’t normal, you should try a reboot of your router, tablo and Roku.
It corrected the loading time when I had the same problem.

Nice, I will try a restarting everything when I get home later. From what I was seeing, it seemed that most others were seeing a very small load time. Thanks!

No that is what it is for some people

Yes. Live TV. It may have been some type of electrical disturbance in the video distribution path. I’m not blaming it on Tablo or Roku. Sometimes my signal strength drops even on nice days and I see green macroblocks on small areas of the screen. Leaf antenna.

1 Like

I upgraded last night and it went mostly ok. I did have a LPW loop as I deleted a bunch of old recordings we weren’t going to watch. Otherwise, it worked well.

This morning I changed my recordings back to 1080p/10 just to give it a proper workout :smile:

I have a Roku 4, 3 and 2. Updated all. Since updating my Tv(s) no longer see the Roku when both tv and roku are initially turned on. I have to reboot the Roku device(s). Any ideas community?

I got a chance to test out the new Roku update and I watched 2 shows recorded at 10Mbps with zero issues. No reboot, no LPW, and no long delays.

It has been months since I could say that about a Roku playback.

2 Likes

I didn’t have to do a factory reset with either of my Roku 3s. I don’t know if anyone else has thoughts on this, but I thought it seemed unnecessary to do a factory reset. After the update took effect, they both automatically did a system restart, though. After the restart, I was immediately watching Tablo on both of the Rokus with zero issues whatsoever.

I’ve been sick and going to see what I can get for it from the pawn shop. If it is really as everyone is saying, it will be stay connected to hdmi2 while Nexus is on HDMI 1. Since NP is missing Amazon movies

This software update did not fix my Roku 1. It sits on LPW for minutes at a time, sometimes lets me back into the show about ten seconds prior to where it left off or it might crash back to the Tablo channel interface or it might reboot entirely. If it lets me back into the show I might get to watch another minute before the LPW comes back up. I cannot get through an entire episode on this device anymore–unless I have about 4 hours free to watch a one hour show! Even when I first select a show and hit play it can take 2 minutes before the show loads and begins to play. I tried rebooting the Roku and the Tablo after updating the Roku software. That didn’t help either. The Roku 1 is about 6 feet away from my wifi router. My Roku 2 is downstairs across the house yet currently functions much better on the Tablo channel.

What’s a Roku 1? All joking aside, I think you have a hardware issue. It’s an old Roku, you might need a newer version.

2 Likes

My Roku 1 is working perfectly with the new update. It is slower than my Roku 3 (3 to 5 seconds to start a recording). It is at least 35 foot from my router…I did a test with 1080P and it did it but it was a bit choppy. Have you tried to reboot your network, Tablo and Roku?

Well the update has not fixed everything. I watched one more 2 hour show last night and had a reboot during FF. Still no LPW so that is a major improvement. Since I have the Nexus and like the client on it better, I’ll probably continue using that for Tablo watching.

1 Like

My Roku 3 is still hitting the LPW loop after updating. About once a night.

It made my 2.2.2. setup worse. I had never had LPW - at least not to the extent of the people on 2.2.6+ - but since the Roku update, it’s been nearly impossible to watch live tv. I’ve been kicked back to the guide, had the Tablo reboot on it’s own or I had to reboot it to get my channels back. I’m getting set to do a factory data reset and will see if that improves things. Otherwise, I’ll update to 2.2.8 and join the masses. At least I won’t have to keep bugging my son to hit “Later” every time he starts the mobile app :grinning: