Roku Vers. 7 build 9044 out - no LPW while watching recordings

My guess would be that to the extent that this helps Tablo users, those users got lucky. The Release Notes on this build suggested that the build was aiming only at one specfic problem - the hot mess that was WatchESPN on Roku. That app performed terribly and that was the single focus of the build. But perhaps whatever was causing that app to freeze etc. was the same set of issues that impacted some Tablo users. But there is no indication that Roku thought the build would fix any problems outside of WatchESPN.

Silence? They were open and talked about how the problem was with the Roku and how they were working with Roku on a fixā€¦ All the naysayers just opted to ignore it and keep rattling their sabers. Its in this forum, Iā€™m not going to go searching for it, but you can. Its out there.

Also, its not going to happen and would be horrible if it did. Roku would have no interest in supporting the other platforms that Tablo does.

But then Microsoft under Steve Balmer swore they would never touch Linux. Now under Nadella, Microsoft is porting apps to Linux and Apple.

Man I am going to have to try this when i get home been having problems with roku using tablo for so long now.

Latest Roku firmware release plays very well thus far with my Tablo set to record maximum rate 1080p 10 Mbps. Version build shows up as 8863 on my Roku 4, and 9044 on my Roku 3 and Roku stick.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause.

2 Likes

Interesting that weā€™ve had complete radio silence from Tablo in the last week on the status of these problems and any new beta eta.

@TabloTV
Shhhā€¦ the Canadianā€™s are still sleeping. :wink:

Thereā€™s only been a couple of replies from them this week. Maybe they needed a break from all the complaininā€™. :innocent:

Wow, did the update last night then watched 2.5 hour of recording without lpw or freezing. I use to have at least 2 lpw per hour and a freezing after 2 hours. I have tried to record in the highest quality and it is also working well. Today I did the update on a Roku 1 and it is also working very well.
Thank you Roku, and sorry TabloTV for douding your software.

I am now very happy with my Tablo.

2 Likes

My Roku 3 players with LPW seem to be fixed or at least reduced.

Q. How can I block future Roku firmware updates so they do not break it again?

Thanks,
Tom

So you had some or not with the new Roku Firmware??

Hey folks! Glad to hear the Roku update is improving things. Keep the updates coming - weā€™re interested in hearing.

In reply to @Belgian_Genius and @IllBeDarned, @TabloTV is taking a well deserved vacation. Iā€™m here to watch over you folks in the meantimeā€¦ I thought I was doing okay, up until now.

3 Likes

So far zero LPWs but I would like to spend at least 10 hours watching time before I say itā€™s fixed.

2 Likes

The main Tablo

You canā€™t. If you donā€™t install it after a few days, it will automatically install.

Youā€™re doing great! When he/she gets back from vacation, you can tell them you fixed the LPW problem! :wink:

3 Likes

ā€œWeā€™re working with Rokuā€ while churning firmware releases to address Roku specific problems is actually a little worse than silence. Fundamentally, my issue here (as someone whoā€™s brand spanking new 3x Roku 3ā€™s and a 4 bought with the Tablo) is that I was blamed for the problems. Then there was a hint of of ā€˜weā€™re working with Rokuā€™, and finally, wave after wave of broken firmware updates. This is worse than silence, especially while trumpeting Roku as the platform of choice / 1st / most favorable mention in all marketing materials that Iā€™ve seen. This cost a lot of people hundreds of dollars.

So, yea, nobody was saber-rattling. People were getting screwed. Period.

If youā€™re in a professional situation where you deliver software and / or firmware and devices / appliances to end users (I am) , you would typically be crucified by your user base for this kind of behavior. What Tablo did was punish people - thatā€™s it. It was disingenuous, it was dishonest, and it was wrong. End users were told they were in the wrong. Network configurations were said to be wrong, etc. It was all malarkey. There were better ways to handle it, with, or without laying blame at Rokuā€™s feet. The way I see it, there is plenty of blame to go around.

That said, more than anything else - Iā€™m glad everyone can go back to using their Rokus and Tablos to record Mary Tyler Moore re-runs.

1 Like

I have a Roku 2 and two Roku sticks. I updated all of them. Like others in this thread, Iā€™ve been able to watch with now LPW problems. Itā€™s nice, and I hope it stays this way. The Roku issue have been since about Sept I think. Before that I had no problems at all. Itā€™s strange to say that Roku had to fix this problem when Plex and Amazon never had any problems streaming video on the Roku. Whatever the reasons, Iā€™m glad Tablo is getting back to something which ā€œjust worksā€ and I donā€™t have to worry about.

The Roku update fixed the issues with my setup as well. It had been working perfectly this summer until a Roku update broke it and introduced LPWā€™s and lockups. Glad itā€™s fixed. I purchased a Nexus Player to get around the Roku issue but I actually prefer the Roku because of Amazon Prime. The Nexus Player is pretty cool though, and way faster than Roku.

So I got ticked off with my three Roku 3ā€™s on Sunday and replaced them with three Nexus Players (keeping the Roku 3ā€™s so I could have Amazon Prime and WatchESPN). Along with three micro USB to ethernet adapters and three HDMI cables, it cost me right at $200.

Now, if the Roku 7 v9044 firmware fixes the LPW and reboot issues with the Tablo, THE JOKE WILL BE ON ME!

Time will tell if the new Roku firmware is really the fix we have all been waiting for . . . I watched a couple hours of Tablo on the Roku last night, not a single LPW or reboot.

I still like the interface (and speed) of the Nexus Player much better than the Roku. At this point, maybe I have just hedged my bets against problems with future firmware updates. Hopefully a future firmware update will not simultaneously break both the Roku and the Nexus Player interfaces . . .

2 Likes

Guess I will hook the Roku 3 back up and upgrade it. If I do a factory reset after that will it still have the latest version of os?