Roku Vers. 7 build 9044 out - no LPW while watching recordings

Roku 1 came out at the same time as Roku 2 and Roku 3 and the Roku stick. They have different levels of features and therefore different price points. I chose the 1 for my secondary tv because it gets used much less so no need to pay more for the extra features. But Roku 1 is not an old Roku and was in fact purchased at the same time as the Roku 2 on my primary tv. You can still choose from the various levels of Rokus at Walmart and buy a brand new Roku 1 off the shelf.

I did reboot both the Roku and the Tablo last night with no impropvement but today the Roku seems to be doing better on Tablo recordings for whatever reason. I’m giving it a longer test right now, so time will tell. I checked Roku’s network screen,and it says it is getting excellent signal strength (which it ought to being just 6 feet from the router!).

I should go on vacation more often!

Upgraded to 9044 and no LPWs here either. I guess I just needed to buy the Shield and scare Roku into fixing the problem! :slight_smile:

Request denied, back to work.

2 Likes

Confirmed! 9044 fixed my Roku 3 - four hours streaming a 1080p broadcast at full recording quality and not a single LPW!

1 Like

Pure curiousity - did Tablo (or Roku) have any idea that build 9044 appears to have fixed many Tablo user issues? The Release notes made it out to be a single patch solely to fix a WatchESPN problem. Was there any understanding that it might be addressing other issues (e.g. Tablo issues) as well? Just trying to understand whether progress was made intentionally or by luck.

2 Likes

@jdoe - I believe it’s a case where they were aware these issues impacted several channels but the folks with the big money got the branding benefit on the fix :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, I have not seen the issues on Netflix and Amazon that I was seeing either. I would consider them big boys too :stuck_out_tongue:

Roku would have no business reason to fix a bug that was occurring primarily with the tablo server. Tablo is the flea on the elephants back.

But since WatchESPN started having problems, that could impact sales.

Good Point Well, it seems from the comments and absence of nasty comments on this form that the fleas are a lot happier than they were the last several months.

Make it $5 and you’re on Nostradamus. It wasn’t Roku’s intent to try to fix Tablo, that appears to be just an incidental benefit. They were after bigger fish (ESPN) in order to enhance their market position. I give Tablo brownie points for their effort, not so much for Roku.

Make sure the vice squad doesn’t raid this forum
 :sunglasses:

Easy money.

The consensus (at last) looks promising. Fingers and toes crossed.

I would keep your fingers crossed past the next major Roku firmware update. Roku 3(4200) basically worked with very few problem until the 3332 Roku firmware upgrade.

So I downloaded that new build on three Rokus the other day and while live TV played fine and it eliminated the LPWs it was still taking a minute plus to begin streaming recorded shows and resume from FF/REW. We were fed up.

But I did something that I wanted to share as I’ve dogged Tablo for a while on this. David in support used throughput as a possible cause. I was just about ready to post my latest thoughts, part of which was asking for some help with proving or disproving “throughput” issues but I thought I’d try one new thing before I hit enter.

The additional step of troubleshooting was to move the Tablo to the router location. Originally they were together but over the summer I moved the router and began using the DECA coax adapters without any “immediate” issue. The Tablo was at the end of one of those DECA runs. And I gotta tell you, unplugging the Tablo made me a little nervous after my database issues last time. But I moved it and the streaming delays associated with recordings and resuming from FF/REW have all but disappeared. The DECAs worked fine before and have been reset since we developed issues but who knows. I had to use a $6 collapsible stick antenna as my roof antenna is not wired to that side of the house but only lost the public TV and shopping channels to the “error weak signal”. Just rescanned and have full signal on all the important channels. Just no This Old House or QVC/HSN.

Now it is again doing this thing where upon deleting the last episode of a series it will gray out the episode box and just sit there. I have to hit the back button to return to the recordings section where it used to all happen automatically. Tablo support says this little step backward was intentional due to Roku’s limited channel memory. Evidently, Roku reduced it’s limitations since 2.2.7 beta 3.

I’m crossing my fingers and avoiding looking at the Tablo the wrong way hoping this good run continues. But I’ve gotta say, David and the @TabloSupport gang are extremely patient and helpful folks and always willing to go the extra step.

1 Like

Add me to the list of users whose LPW issues have all but vanished since the last Roku update :clap:
I’ll have to truly put this to the test by watching more actual live TV, where the issue was much more prominent in my case (I used to get 4-5 LPWs in a row, always going back a few seconds afterwards – major case of dĂ©jĂ  vu).

This version is working great for me. No more FFW reboots or LPW since I’ve upgrade.

I also put the latest Roku update to the test. So far I am cautiosly optimistic, where while watching a couple of hours of recorded shows, I did not see one LPW or any FFW lockups or reboots. One of the issues that I have seen more recently, is where it acts like a memory leak, where the LPWs get worse and tablo finally just locks up, and I have to go and pull the plug to restart roku. I have really gotten to the point where I hated to watch recorded programs on Tablo, that I have almost stopped using Tablo altogther hoping for a new update to fix the latest issues. One other technique that has really helped is where before I would start watching a recorded program on Tablo, I would restart the Roku 3. Even if I restarted the Roku 3, I would still get several LPWs, but I wouldn’t get a lockup or reboot so quickly. For me, it has been very easy to blame Tablo for this issue because I don’t experience LPWs, lockups, or reboots when I watch Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, Feelin, etc. I have put the FF test to each of these others, and I never saw an issue. I never see a LPW with these other channels. I have really tried hard to purposely recreate the same issues with these other channels, with no such luck. This week, I was desperate enough that I was going to go get a Nexus to see if that experience would be any different, but this latest Roku update may have fixed the issues I was having. Just one last thing on performance, I can’t really see a performance difference with this latest Roku update, but one thing I have noticed is that the performance with Netflex is much better than the performance of Tablo; which, is very surprising since Tablo is streaming from the network drive; which, should be much faster than streaming over the internet. I think part of it is that Tablo is using an external drive with USB, whereas DVRs like Dish are local, and so the performance is much faster. When I was watching recorded shows with Dish DVR there was never a delay, except when I was watching recorded shows from the external drive connected via USB, Watching recorded shows with Dish DVR was instantaneous when I loaded the recorded show, and when I fast forwarded or went backward. USB3 is faster, but it is not even a close second to the speed of having the hard disk drive connected directly to the disk controller. For now, I think I can live with the performance issues and give credit to Roku for fixing a bug that Tablo was obviously heavily dependent on that other channels were not using. How do you explain that there were not LPWs or FF issues with other Roku channels, when there were issues with Tablo? Hope this feedback was helpful.