Reorder Guide Channels

Lol must be a millennial who grew up with internet their whole life, please tell me which other DVR has this “basic” feature? I know I’m poking fun but I am legit interested cause I have personally never seen it on a cable box DVR. Does Plex DVR let you do it?

I usually try to understand how someone purchased a product that didn’t have an absolute must have feature. It’s not like there is any product information or forum posts saying tablo has this feature.

1 Like

The closest I’ve seen, when I had DVB-T tuner cards in my PC. I can to scan frequencies to create channels list. I could edit and rearrange it, call the channels what I wanted - the text fields names.

But all this was completely manual configuration. This is how you get exactly what you want - absolute must have, exactly the way you want it – including all the maintenance.

Lol must be a millennial who grew up with internet their whole life, please tell me which other DVR has this “basic” feature? I know I’m poking fun but I am legit interested cause I have personally never seen it on a cable box DVR. Does Plex DVR let you do it?

It is not a “DVR” function per set, but neither is offering a channel guide at all a “DVR” function.

Almost every cable TV, or satellite service let’s me reorder channels. For instance I could create custom channel orders with Dish, DirecTv, and with Comcast.

It is not an unreasonable request, and would be fairly easy to implement given a competent programmer and a weeks (+/-) time to do it. The reason it is not offered is most likely money: to store the order in which you want your channels displayed will take memory, either on the Tablo device or on a Tablo server, so that would decrease Tablo profits (putting short term losses ahead of long term gains from a happier customer base). Not sure that’s a true excuse not to have it anyway because it can always be stored on the external hard drive (although being in Tablos RAM, would be much better).

BTW…I an so much older than a millennial but I generally don’t apply labels to people.

I usually try to understand how someone purchased a product that didn’t have an absolute must have feature. It’s not like there is any product information or forum posts saying tablo has this feature.

It’s simple, the cost of the Tablo OTA tunner/DVR compared to subscribing to services that do offer custom channel order, makes the poorer channel guide more acceptable. IOW the lower cost is preferred even with Tablo’s flaws.

That dosn’t mean I don’t expect Tablo to continually upgrade their software.

BTW TABLO, how many more months and years will the 14 day channel guide still be in Betta!

Tablo does continually upgrade the firmware and/or apps. That doesn’t mean that stating “absolute must have” makes your wishes rise above not only product strategy or any other users “must haves”.

Of course they could remove the label “Betta” and would that mean the 14 day guide would be any different then it currently is?

Given that each app and thus user might want a different channel order, I’m sure that being the competent programer that you are you could volunteer to whip out the changes in all the apps in a week.

No, they don’t. You can create a favorites list with just the channels you want, but they are still in numerical order.

2 Likes

This.

Philo allows moving favorite channels before the rest

The Slingtv UI allows a user to mark favorites. But those favorites don’t seem to be able to be re-ordered. Which is what was being asked for.

Atleast tablo lets the user select the channels that appear in the grid - which is a form of favorites.

Disputing my statements gets the discussion no where. I know what a favorite list is and I know what a channel reorder is. On the best systems I could do both. I pruned out unwatched or low res channels, then reordered the stations in the order I wanted them to be in. The stations were not in numerical or alphabetic order, but in the exact order I desired. The more often I watched a channel, the higher I could move it up the programin guide. Just because YOU have not seen this feature does not prove I have not. Nor should Tablo seek to program to the lowest standard of customation but should be aiming the best user experience possible.

My LG tv (2020) allows me to reorder the channels. There is a function to move channels around (from top to bottom) and\or delete them. One selects a channel by clicking on it in a list and then using the remote’s up\down arrows to move it up or down. This is in a WebOS screen. So it’s being done…

2 Likes

Is your LG TV a DVR? :wink:

1 Like

It would be a DVR if I was in South Korea or Japan. LG allows one in Asia to stick in a USB drive and record\pause\forward. However LG has not enabled that function in North America for some reason. Their WebOS was originally intended for DVRs by HP (from which they bought that media OS). TCL TV on the other hand does allow this in the US & Canada.

2 Likes

Tvheadend, which is a piece of DVR software one downloads to a device does channel reordering. One can turn any PC into a DVR using Tvheadend. I use it on an ARM device (S912 Corelec) with a USB tuner. One can resequence any channels and also rename them.

Emby can also edit & reorder channels. Not sure about Plex (though the Manage Channels function in the documentation mentions resequencing TV channels)…

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. Can you specify exactly what cable or satellite provider and the model of the DVR that supported that?

I didn’t know Emby had a DVR, Emby is based off Plex no? Is the DVR feature new? If I was going the route of setting up a separate PC to be a DVR, I always through Plex was the best thing out there. But I’ve never actually used it for it’s DVR function.

You’ve already acknowledged and accepted tablo is what you consider “the best system” so they’re not really comparable.

“Best user experience possible” as you see it. Looking through #feature-requests so many are must haves to make things manageable. Some have been implemented, some requested since it’s inception… and requested. Then there’s not features no one ever asked for. Just to create the best user experience… well, “the best” isn’t going to be a one-size-fits-all.

Here TabloTV concludes:

We were trying to limit the number of options available in order to keep things simple.

It may have been specific to asking for adjusting both start and end times +/- or it may have been a generalized statement - the best user experience is one which doesn’t overwhelm their largest demographic. You have to suspect they do market research before they invest resources into anything… or not.

Buy our DVR - you can put the channels in any order you want :slight_smile:

Probably isn’t really a big marketing mover.

__
That’s not to say it’s not a valid feature request. It’s been around for some time. They claim it’s something worth implementing in future updates.

With so many other features and bugs to fix in all the various apps. maybe tablo will implement this as a first out in the windows app.

Then tablo could claim it has the must have feature that all the other DVR’s have.

Then they could slowly roll it into all the other apps. That way I’ll will have by-passed ATSC 3.0 and be watching ATSC 4.0 before it reaches any device I use.

I have not read all of this thread, but I would say, instead of having to re-order of channel guide, do like my TV has, have different filters for the channel guide: All or favorites1, favorites2, etc. That may be easier to implement.