Official Tablo Support

OK, many thanks - NTP it is. So I need to ensure that my firewalls don’t block the NTP ports, etc.

These are what I have in our Cisco gear at work:
ntp server 173.230.158.30
ntp server 66.228.50.209
I don’t set a preferred.

I just moved my tablo 4 from one room to another. I also moved the router and hard drive along with the range expander because one of the computers that I used to watch the programs on was too old to handle the broadcast from the range expander and was not getting a good signal. After moving everything, I took advantage of the new location to do a re-scan of available channels (I expected better reception in this room.) I was in fact able to pick up a couple of stations that had not been coming in on the Tablo but I had been to pick before with just an antenna and had better reception on some of the weaker channels. When I saved the new line-up the Tablo started updating the program guide. During the process the Tablo froze and now I am not able to connect to the Tablo with either of my computers or with my Rokus. I have tried the reset button on the Tablo and have tried disconnecting the power a couple of times. The message I get on the computers is “connecting” continuously. The Rokus don’t find the Tablo. Suggestions? Or do I try returning the Tablo? It’s two months old.

I forgot to mention that the Tablo has been overheating and shutting down, forcing a reset on a regular (almost weekly) basis.

I am past watching them now; we’ll see what happens this week.  But others are correct: every show played correctly, it was just listed wrong.  What was odd was that the text and the thumbnail were not of the same show.

@Doobe 

Let’s take a look at this on our end. Why don’t you send me a ticket? We’ll get this fixed up.

Bought Tablo 2-Tuner last week - great product! 

Enjoying it so far but I am concerned that Closed Captions are NOT available when casting to Chromecast from Chrome Browser, Android phone and tablet.
This is important feature for me - when will this be implemented?

@mgkinus - We’re evaluating whether it will be technically possible to offer CC via Android/Chromecast so unfortunately I don’t have an ETA to share at this time. CC is currently available through Roku and iOS.

Maybe not the right category, but I don’t know what else to do.  I have posted a question FOUR TIMES as to how to swap to a larger USB HDD and recover what is on my existing small drive.  None of them have been posted.  Do you review and not post what you do not want viewed by others?  I have seen suggestions about using True Image, ubuntu copy, etc, and expect there is a way to do this, just involves a lot of steps, some of which I would have to ask my son to help with.  OK, lay it out if is difficult, but don’t just not post my question.  They are all in my Drafts section, even though I selected “Post comment” many times.

@oldmike - We don’t curate the content here at all so there must be something going on. You are able to post (obviously since I saw this one) so I’m not sure what the difference between this post and that one was. 

It looks like @TabloSupport answered your question in your other thread.

Hard to figure out why the same post would barf four times when others don’t.  Perhaps a communist plot…

Senator, is that you? Senator McCarthy, really?

Well, as I live and breathe!  The Senator is back!

Commies, quarks, cosmic rays, Weird Al; who knows?

Neutrinos knocked the electrons off the traces on your systemboard, or Tron is in there.
Maybe it’s that evil Master Cylinder.

I mentioned in another thread that I feel that AppleTv’s 7.0.3 software has broken the compatability with Tablo. Ever since I upgraded to that version I have been noticing frequent disconnects while watching the tablo via AirPlay? I may roll the software back to 7.0.2 but before I spent the time to do that I thought I would ask if this is a known issue or not?

@okcgeoff Interesting. We don’t have any known issues surrounding firmware 7.0.3 but we’ll revisit this. We have heard of some iPad Air 3’s having some quirky pausing behaviour, but it doesn’t appear to be related (thus far) to the firmware version on the Apple TV.

Hello @TabloSupport

I have send emails to support but haven’t received any response yet.   It would be nice to provide an option to CC my email so I have a copy of what I had asked :slight_smile: since I don’t remember all the questions as it has been couple of days.

I actually bought a Tivo Roamio and Tablo at the same time for comparison purposes and planning on returning one of them and keeping the one that works for me.

I do like the features of Tablo as compared to Tivo Roamio.  It repurposes my Rokus :).

1.  My 4-tuner Tablo receives less channels compared to directly connecting it to my Vizio TV.  Any suggestions to make this better?  Tivo gets all the channels by the way.

2.  Am I ok to hot swap USB hard disks?

3.  How do I switch from wifi to hard wired and vice versa.

4.  I am getting a lot of buffering/loading screens.  Especially when I switch channels,  I get that and it repeats about 7 seconds.  Again this kind of delay or buffering doesn’t happen in Tivo.

5.  How can I export recorded programs into my computer in a common format that I can use it offline.

6.  The interface in Roku and somewhat the webapp leaves much to be desired.  I know there is new Roku app coming.  Hope the interface gets an uplift in general.  

7.  I have also noticed that there same recordings are listed twice sometimes.  You delete one and the other is gone as well.  It is not consistent.

8.  Do I need to register two separate accounts for 1) account.tablotv.com and 2) community.tablotv.com respectively?  If so, why is that?

Hope you can answer these questions at your earliest.

Thanks in advance.

Let me take a stab at answering some of these questions.

1. I would think most user get the same number of channels both on TV directly and using the Tablo (I know I do), but there are several threads here about using pre-amps to help boost the signal.

2. Yes and no.  You can certainly disconnect and reconnect a single hard drive without having to reboot the Tablo.  However, you can’t switch back and forth between multiple hard drives and have both work.

3. If it is plugged into the router, it is hard wired and will not use wi-fi.  Once you take off the network cable, it will use wi-fi. 

4. The Tablo folks have identified the repeating problem and are working on a fix.  Also remember that the Tablo and Tivo are quite different when it comes to channel changing.  

5, Check out this thread: http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/257/api-interface-to-pull-recorded-show-listings-metadata-and-files-off-of-the-tablo#latest

6. Right now, it appears Tablo’s goal is just to make the Roku interface look very much like the web and tablet interface.  But they have noted a lot of interface change requests.

7. I haven’t seen that problem before. You may want to start a separate thread about that if it happens a lot.

8. Yes.  I think it makes sense.  Anyone can use this forum, including people that don’t own Tablos.  The account.tablotv.com is specifically for Tablo owners and doesn’t have a username associated with it (just email address).

Thanks you, @snowcat for your comments. Very useful.

<<1. I would think most user get the same number of channels both on TV directly and using the Tablo (I know I do), but there are several threads here about using pre-amps to help boost the signal.>>
Certainly in my case, it gets less channels. Will need to figure out how to fix this. Like I mentioned, Tivo gets the exact number of channels when connected to this antenna but Tablo doesn’t. Will check out the pre-amps. Will be great to get an official response from TabloTv on this issue.

<<2. Yes and no. You can certainly disconnect and reconnect a single hard drive without having to reboot the Tablo. However, you can’t switch back and forth between multiple hard drives and have both work.>>
Is it true that I can only use one of the usb ports or can I use both? Haven’t tested both ports at the same time, yet. And each port will take 2 TB max disk, correct?

<<3. If it is plugged into the router, it is hard wired and will not use wi-fi. Once you take off the network cable, it will use wi-fi. >>
What I have noticed is, if I disconnect the cable, it is asking me to add via wi-fi again. Meaning, say I had it on wi-fi and then plugged in the ethernet cable and then removed it, it tends to lose the wi-fi and I will need to add it again. Not a big deal…but something that was not switchable but needed extra steps and not ‘automatic’.

<<4. The Tablo folks have identified the repeating problem and are working on a fix. Also remember that the Tablo and Tivo are quite different when it comes to channel changing. >>
I am not sure what the technical difference is, but would be great to see the annoyance go away. It gives a very ‘amateur’ experience for a packaged product.

1. For now, the Tablo will only recognize a single hard drive.  But it doesn’t matter which port it is plugged into, and the 2nd port can be used for other things, like a cell phone charger.   For now, you are limited to a 2 TB max hard drive, and please look at the hard drive thread for compatible drives.  (This is one of the bigger headaches with the Tablo until they get the hard drive compatability issue resolved).

Using the web app on a notebook running Windows 8.1 Pro, after trying to sync all night with the app open in Chrome it was still syncing this morning.  Opened up Firefox and gave that a try, and it sync’d in about two minutes.