NOW LIVE: Redesigned Roku Channel Preview and Apps for Amazon Fire TV & Android TV (Firmware 2.1.28)

I’m not sure if the Android TV app is available, or if my MINIX is uncompatible with it.  I just keep getting the web app, regardless of workaround (used app store from the browser).

Looks good on the Roku 3.  Features are kinda sparse but the interface is lovely.

Every time I post here, I realize I have way too many toys.
Can't wait to see what all was fixed or improved or made even a tiny bit better by the later firmware......even though I don't have Roku, but the firmware bit - saying there were things in there even for non-Roku stuff

@ShadowsPapa I would love to hear your impression of the new 2.1.28 firmware on FireTV, I will hold-off on upgrading until I hear if you manage to detect any unannounced improvements.

Curious about what the database upgrade actually do for FireTV

Having problems loading the Tablo Preview Channel on your Roku box?

1. Update your Tablo Firmware to 2.1.28 (You can easily check the firmware version in the settings section of your Tablo)

2. Login to your Roku account; https://my.roku.com/signin

3. Head over to this link; https://owner.roku.com/add/tablopreview and press "Yes, Add Channel"

4. Go into your Roku System settings and force the box to check for a software update.

Thank you!

Interface looks fantastic just painfully slow and every revisit to the interface needs to populate the guide again.

Thank you Anibal! The Tablo people have a thing or two to learn about writing user instructions and doing outside checks of materials before releasing to their customers. Hopefully they quickly update their setup guide with simp,e clear instructions like you gave.

Just updated my firmware and tried out the Nexus Player/Android TV app.  So far so good.  The performance appears to be much better than when I “cast” from my phone or tablet.   Just tried it while home at lunch, but I can already tell will be much more willing to use it now.

I’m amazed there are so many DIYers that can’t find the instructions on this website in the FIRST post. Sigh…

Add me to the Roku reboot list. I was watching a show, FF through the commercials- Play would not work and the Roku rebooted a few seconds afterwards. Hopefully, this is not the new firmware doing this. The app we can avoid. 

Please address this as top priority since it’s a bug. 
I'm amazed there are so many DIYers that can't find the instructions on this website in the FIRST post. Sigh...

While the majority of the users of this forum can probably figure out how to download the private roku channel by doing some snooping around, there are a lot of other tablo users out there who probably aren’t so computer literate. A clearly labeled link to the private channel is all people were asking for. It shouldn’t take a computer science major to figure out where to download a new app and I would think tablo would not want to restrict themselves to this type of customer. I am a huge fan of tablo, but was also disappointed that the instructions didn’t clearly label a simple link to download the new channel.

I must be one of the few having major problems with the Roku Tablo preview channel.

On my TCL Roku TV it is unusable. The recording section the artwork comes up very slow. When I try & scroll down the list the channel will quit & I get kicked out to the Roku channel screen.

If this was my first experience with Tablo I would be asking for my money back asap.

I just tried on one my of Roku3's and the experience is the same. The UI is very sluggish.

At 4:00 the Tablo will stop recording & I will unplug it & reboot it. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

I shut everything down. Router, switches, all computers, we did a complete shutdown. We started the router first. Once it was all booted up I started 2 different gig switches. I then started my plex server. Once it was all running I plugged the Tablo back in and waited until the blue light was solid. I then plugged in my Roku TV.

The new app is dirt slow. I do not know why it takes so long for the cover art to appear. Plus the app is very unstable. It crashed a couple of times trying to use it.

I went back to using the original Tablo app & it is quick. The cover art comes up instantly.

Of course all of my plex cover art is instant within the new Plex Preview channel.

Maybe the new Roku TV is a little different than the regular Rokus… All I know is that my Roku3’s are all slow also. I have 3 of them…

Phil

On the new roku channel, every time I hit a directional button while in the live TV grid, I move two spots in the grid. This does not happen anywhere else on the roku or the old tablo channel. Any ideas?

Just updated my firmware to 2.1.28.

I’m seeing a ton of duplicate TV shows now on the Android web app.

If I navigate to “TV Shows” on the left-hand navigation, then select “All” up top, maybe 80% of the shows listed have their cover art listed twice.

For example, the show “America’s Test Kitchen”.

The first instance of the show will say “2 Seasons / 0 Episodes”.  The second instance of the show will say “2 Seasons / 42 Episodes”.

I can’t confirm that this was introduced with today’s firmware update, as I was just tapping around today and happened to notice it.

Not sure what to do here…

Just updated my firmware to 2.1.28.

I'm seeing a ton of duplicate TV shows now on the Android web app.
Not sure what to do here...

Maybe try rebooting the Tablo and clear the cache on the Android app (or uninstall and re-install)

Hello all.  So I was all excited about the updated Roku channel.  I went to update my Tablo in the web browser, the blue light flashed a few times on the Tablo, then turned off, and in my browser it stayed stuck on Downloading updates at 0%.  Nothing was wrong with my connection.  Over 20 minutes have now passed and my Tablo is still off.  I don’t know what to do at this point.  I just tried reloading that browser page and it can’t do anything because it can’t connect to the Tablo.  Has my new Tablo keeled over dead???

Edited to add - I just unplugged the power cable and plugged it back in.  It booted up OK but it’s still stuck on the old 2.1.24 version.  Perhaps I should just leave well enough alone because it seems lots here are having problems with it.

The new Roku UI looks and operates great! 

However, I don’t understand why the guide isn’t cached somewhere so it doesn’t have to reload every time you arrive – even when just toggling back from the recorded content… is that a Roku SDK restriction? Is there no way to keep the guide data persistent while you remain in the Tablo app? 

I can understand reloading upon returning to the app but find it painful to have to reload when moving within the Tablo app.

Tablo app on Roku 3 is not connecting to the Tablo again.  It succeeded once but has reverted to the same behavior I described earlier.  It says Connecting to Tablo but it comes up with Tablo-Dual, not my Tablo, which is named Tablo.  The old app works fine, the iOS app on my iPad works fine, just the new Roku app is not working. 

@Brettface I see what you mean. It shows the same type of “issue” on Web and iPad as well.

@TabloSupport, I am guessing this is by design but can be frustrating unless we had a textual sort and could see they are actually different shows

I have a Roku 3 on 3 TVs.  Just updated firmware and running the Roku Preview.

On the channel guide my up and down arrows on my Logitec 880 programmable remotes are moving 2 down or 2 up with one key press.  This is strange because these direction buttons work properly in every other Roku channel including NetFlix and Amazon Prime.

I tried programming the direction keys using the Roku 3 remote but I guess it doesn’t send out an infared signal.  BTW the actual Roku 3 remote arrows do work properly … strange …

Love the guide and the ability to set recordings.  Keep up the good work Tablo.  You’ve made it possible to ‘cut the cord’!!

DaleF - I just posted about this a few posts up.  I’m noticing the same issue with my Logitech remote.  My remote moves 2 up/down/left/right for each key press.  It doesn’t happen in any other roku channel.  So strange!  My original roku remote works just fine.  I also just tried re-programming my logitech remote, but that didn’t fix it.  I also tried to “learn” the commands, but noticed the same as you - no infared signal.  Anyone know why our remotes are moving 2 spaces through the live tv grid when we use a non-roku remote but it works properly in every other channel? 

Same for me with my Logitech 650 remote.  one key press moves 2 spaces.  It only does it in the new Roku channel.  I never had that problem using the old channel.  I have a roku3 btw