NOW LIVE: Redesigned Roku Channel Preview and Apps for Amazon Fire TV & Android TV (Firmware 2.1.28)

New Roku Channel is fantastic!  Working great for me - no issues getting it installed or updating my Tablo.  Very easy to use - can’t wait for the new features to be added in the next few months.  Great work Tablo Team!!    :-bd

@zippy

Which model number is your Roku?

After letting things sit for about 10 minutes, I came back and it works fine now.  Looks very good!

Thanks and sorry for the false alarm!

Firmware notes say that it’ll be unavailable for about 10 minutes after updating while it upgrades the database. 

New Firmware Release - 2.1.28
  • Adds support for the new preview Tablo Roku channel.
    • Note: After restart, Tablo will perform a database upgrade which may take up to ten minutes. Tablo will be unavailable during this period.
  • Improvements to connection performance for web app
  • Minimum free space settings on drives managed by AUTODELETE is now drive size-specific
  • Overall performance improvements
After letting things sit for about 10 minutes, I came back and it works fine now.  Looks very good!

Firmware notes say that it’ll be unavailable for about 10 minutes after updating while it upgrades the database. 

New Firmware Release - 2.1.28
  • Adds support for the new preview Tablo Roku channel.
    • Note: After restart, Tablo will perform a database upgrade which may take up to ten minutes. Tablo will be unavailable during this period.
  • Improvements to connection performance for web app
  • Minimum free space settings on drives managed by AUTODELETE is now drive size-specific
  • Overall performance improvements

@nicholb I saw that too.  Seems that the initial blog post was edited to include a lot more information.  Didn’t see any of that initially. 

Looks and works great! Wonderful job! Will a Scheduled Recordings tab be added?

Ha. I was going to suggest just waiting 15 minutes.

Hopefully the new roku app has been tested against roku software 6.2.3332. Yesterday my roku software was updated to 6.2.3332 and the old tablo roku app now tends to cause the roku to reboot when using slow speed fast forward. I had 6 roku reboots in 10 hours.

I have been running the last Beta on the latest Roku update just fine.

Multiple people have nicely asked what private channel number code we type into the dang Roku channel box on their website and no one is replying directly to this question. Don’t tell me to go look on a blog - I and others have done that and it is not there and you shouldn’t be snarky and tell a paying customer to go look somewhere else to a simple question! Just directly answer the question directly please! We’re wasting time here Tablo!

Having problems loading the Tablo Preview Channel on your Roku box?

1. Update your Tablo Firmware to 2.1.28 (You can easily check the firmware version in the settings section of your Tablo)

2. Login to your Roku account; https://my.roku.com/signin

3. Head over to this link; https://owner.roku.com/add/tablopreview and press "Yes, Add Channel"

4. Go into your Roku System settings and force the box to check for a software update.

I didn’t enter a code.  I just went to the link once, and logged into my Roku account.  Then while that screen was still up, I went into the link again, and it asked me to add the Tablo Preview channel.

Here is the link: https://owner.roku.com/add/tablopreview

I’ve got the new Roku Preview channel and 2.1.28 firmware working OK, I think.  Right off the bat I can tell my wife will not like the new Recordings capability. She likes to see the Most Recent recordings pop up first, with Last Day, etc. at the top of the pile.  It now appears we have to sort through an alphabetical list of, in our case, dozens of icons to find a show recently recorded.  Am I missing something?  I assume we can continue using the “old” Roku channel’s features indefinitely?

I must be one of the few having major problems with the Roku Tablo preview channel.

On my TCL Roku TV it is unusable. The recording section the artwork comes up very slow. When I try & scroll down the list the channel will quit & I get kicked out to the Roku channel screen.

If this was my first experience with Tablo I would be asking for my money back asap.

I just tried on one my of Roku3’s and the experience is the same. The UI is very sluggish.

At 4:00 the Tablo will stop recording & I will unplug it & reboot it. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

@JimmyB7 - This is why we’ve kept the ‘old’ channel as the public channel. As per the blog post, until we reach feature parity you’ll still be able to use that version if that’s the interface you prefer.

What's the channel code?

All of the details including code links are in the blog post.

Actually they aren’t. The blog post links to https://www.tablotv.com/roku-preview/ page which explains adding the channel through 4 steps, which if followed require user to provide “channel access code”. larry4g provided a link to https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/ which contains the link to add a channel.

@Tomislav - The link is also on the preview page in the first step.

What's the channel code?

All of the details including code links are in the blog post.

Actually they aren’t. The blog post links to https://www.tablotv.com/roku-preview/ page which explains adding the channel through 4 steps, which if followed require user to provide “channel access code”. larry4g provided a link to https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/ which contains the link to add a channel.

Well, it seems that there is indeed a hidden link below step 1 that takes you to the roku login screen with action to add proper channel already included. My mistake was to try clicking on the icon for step 1 and when this wasn’t a link, I went directly to roku.com in another browser tab.

@Tomislav - The link is also on the preview page in the first step.

Thanks!

Can’t wait to see what all was fixed or improved or made even a tiny bit better by the later firmware. After the last update I found some things were better even if that wasn’t their formal plan. It was like an early Easter egg. 
I knew the Roku announcement was forthcoming, even though I don’t have Roku, but the firmware bit - saying there were things in there even for non-Roku stuff, now that part was a nice surprise. 

Tablo never ceases to amaze me. 

I bet that old Canadian server was running warm shortly after this announcement. (so maybe I’d better wait a day before I try a firmware upgrade - after what happened last time I rushed to do it when a few dozen other Tablo owners were also trying.)

The link is labeled as “log into your roku account”. I didn’t realize that was the link when I first read the steps and I would assume that’s where others are experiencing the same confusion.

I deleted the Tablo channel and re installed it. That didn’t work

Since I was not a Beta tester, didn’t realize there were two channels - The original and the preview channel.

Figured that out after reading the blog page, then added the “Tablo Preview” channel.

All is ok.

I really like it - thanks for all the hard work !

Chas