NEW - Tablo Firmware Release - 2.2.18

Hi there Tablo fans -

A new firmware is on the way for your Tablo!

Like previous releases, this firmware will be offered in a staged rollout. A small portion of users will have access to this firmware immediately. We will increase access slowly as we judge feedback and distribute the firmware to increasingly larger batches of units over the coming week.

Along with some noticeable performance improvements, 2.2.18 includes a secret project we’ve been working on over the last few months…

ADVANCED RECORDING FEATURES!

This includes the following:

• Adjust Start/Stop Time - Start recordings up to 10 mins early and end as much as 3 hours after the scheduled program time
  • Keep X Recordings - Retain all episodes or only a select number of airings
  • Recording Channel Selector - Choose which channel to record from if multiple channels are airing a favorite program

Check out the Tablo blog for a full overview of the new features:
https://www.tablotv.com/blog/advanced-recording-features-tablo-ota-dvrs/

Release Notes for 2.2.18
• New feature: advanced recording options
• Significant performance improvements in communication between Tablo and apps
• Performance improvement launching live TV streams (when Fast Live TV Startup option is enabled)
• Fix for issue where some remote streaming quality settings would cause corrupted video playback
• Adds workarounds for issues introduced by Roku 8.0 firmware
• Other reliability and performance enhancements

NOTE: Post-upgrade database processes (if needed) may take several minutes to complete. During this time the LED will be blinking. Do not power down the Tablo until the LED is solid again.

**Companion Apps** Tablo's new advanced recording options require companion apps to the 2.2.18 firmware.

Many recent Tablo app updates have already secretly enabled these features, which will become visible once your Tablo’s firmware has been updated.

If you’re running the following versions (or newer) of these Tablo apps, no further updates are required:
• Roku - version 2.3.0+
• Tablo Preview (for Amazon Fire TV & Android TV) - version 1.2.0
• Apple TV - version 1.4.1+
• Web App - version 1.4.1

Updates for the following supported devices will be rolled out today. You’ll need to process the app updates before you’re able to see advanced recording settings on these platforms:
• Android TV – version 1.4.1
• Amazon Fire TV – version 1.4.1
• iOS & Android mobile apps – version 1.4.1

For tips and tricks on successful firmware updates head over to the Knowledge Base.

If you have any feedback or questions about this release, please post them below. If you need support assistance, place a ticket and we’ll be in touch.

8 Likes

Great job! This release addresses almost the major features that have been asked for over the years.

2 Likes

Does it speed up channel changes?

When you have the ‘Enable Fast Live TV Startup’ checkbox selected in your settings screen, you should see much faster load times.

1 Like

Quite honestly, if they can now bring the various apps into feature parity (e.g. adding the Upcoming and Recent filter for recordings that are available in the Roku app to the Android apps) that would address pretty much all of my current (realistic) wishes.

Feature parity is probably our #1 focus now that this release is out.

Lots of good things coming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was hoping you would say that. :slight_smile:

The impact of having additional development staff is being felt and appreciated by your customers. It takes time to ramp up new staff but the pace of development has definitely picked up and as far as priorities I for one think your team approached it the right way. Implementing a frequently requested feature as well as making low level changes that make upcoming UI changes, etc. easier is definitely the right way to do it. Looking forward to the ride!

1 Like

Thanks . I will try after the update gets to me.

What about smart TV apps?

Wait, @TabloTV, what new staff?
Require picture!
Preferably with silly hats. :slight_smile:

From the blog:

Over the coming months, these features will also be made available on additional Tablo-supported devices like Xbox One and LG Smart TVs, as well as the Tablo DVR ENGINE for NVIDIA SHIELD TV.

We’ve mentioned this a few places on the forum as well as in customer newsletters, but last year we hired several new folks on the app development side.

They’re all pretty shy so sadly, I cannot provide a silly hat picture of them.

thanks!

How did you end up handling overlapping schedules with the start/end early/late feature? Does it start recording as soon as there is a free tuner, or does any conflict result in skipped recordings?

It does result in a conflict, so you’ll need to keep a closer eye on conflicts if you make frequent use of these new features.

What about Tablo Connect being available on more devices? I want to use that feature to get tv down to my mom who is no where near any broadcast antennas

Wow, just wow! I’ve been waiting for this feature which I’ve had for years on Tivo. For me, this is a game-changer. Thank you!!

PS. Now if you can only give the thumbnail previews on currently recording shows, this would make it a perfect device!

Now literally my only feature request remaining is offline viewing for iPad.

I don’t have a specific ETA to share on this, but it’s getting higher on the priority list.

2 Likes

I don’t have a need for any of these “features” There is no option to turn some or all of this noise off?