NEW & Improved Tablo App for Fire TV & Android TV (2.0.0 - AKA Un-PREVIEW)

Nothing has changed with the implementation of Tablo Connect despite the new details in the settings area. In order to access your Tablo any user would need to have your network password and connect to your Tablo on its home network. If you don’t have Tablo Connect enabled, any person who had previously accessed your Tablo would not be able to connect to it remotely despite pairing data being stored.

That being said, in addition to providing additional clarity in the settings screen we want to add additional functionality including the ability to revoke pairing on specific devices for those that have this feature enabled.

What’s being suggested is a preference for putting all Most Recent recordings in a tile format as is still done with Most Recent recordings in the web app (and the Recordings-All screen alphabetically) - just left to right, top to bottom in order or most recent recording. This puts a lot more shows/recordings on one screenful (maybe three times as many?) and lets you get to the recording you want (and see many available new recordings to watch) much faster.

It really isn’t tremendously useful to have the day/date listed on a vertical scroll on the main Most Recent screen … either format it’s all still in date order either way. Similarly, knowing that the program was 30 or 60 minutes (or whatever) long isn’t of key value (even if very rarely useful to know how long a playback would be … most times you know what the length of what you recorded is; it could in any case if wished be super-imposed on the tile); true of the channel and exact time too. All of this is usefully available in the web app when one clicks a layer or two down, if occasionally desired, and that’s fine.

Furthermore the smaller tiles in the vertical scroll are less distinctive/readable in a lean-back mode if viewed, say, on a projector or large-screen monitor from a distance, and the Firestick is more likely to be used in that way than the web app, so the two different formats seem almost flipped in utility.

Everyone has their own preferences for UI and UX, but for whatever little it is worth as a UX designer off and on for decades and a Tablo user going on five years, I much prefer the suggested format of the web app to this Firestick and Roku approach. This seems to me a degradation of the UI, not an improvement. (I am sure there are at least some who, fair enough, disagree.) I fear Tablo will report that they will be changing the web app to follow the Firestick/Roku approach for consistency, hope not.

2 Likes

I am one who prefers the list of individual programs in the most recent view but as you point out there will be supporters of both. Further, I agree they will want to make it consistent across all platforms. That said, I hope they eventually support both types of the most recent view on all the platforms.

1 Like

My Tablo is now using the recent Android 2.0 version (Sony TV).

In Settings , I see that the guide was updated more than 24 hours ago.

The Scheduled Coming Soon screen shows the header Today three times! And the Recorded recent does not show what was recorded yesterday. I tried to update the Guide Data but it just keeps spinning.

A solution is probably to unistall and re-install the app! But that is not normal. What about reloading Microsoft Word every day?

That long standing problem should be corrected!

This is quite odd.

Do you turn your router or Tablo off in the evenings?

Would you be able to share a picture or video of of the issues you’re seeing with the scheduled or recordings screen with the support team? www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo/

It is possible that deleting & re-adding the app could help, but if this is occurring frequently as you mentioned it deserves a closer look.

I have run across several bugs. We have had programs on Recordings that didn’t actually tape, but can’t be deleted. I’m sorry, but I HATE the recordings layout in recent mode. The icons are too small, the oldest stuff is on bottom, and the way it pulls up when you select the program is far too cluttered.

I also do not like the layout in “recent mode” or the image view instead of the list view when you select a show with multiple recording. The list view was much easier to navigate and see all of your shows in one place. The horizontal scroll only shows a few episodes and you can’t tell if you have partially watched a show anymore - not sure what the benefit of these changes are. Also where is the “search” function and why was the “syncing” notification removed. And it is much slower to load when going from place to place. Really frustrated with these changes.

I’ve got an NVIDIA Shield TV that I use with my OTA antenna. Up until recently, I used the Tablo Preview app on it, and have now switched to the Tablo app, since that’s what Tablo advised. Now, occasionally, I cannot delete a DVR recording. What happens is that I do the “Delete”, and I get the circling wait cursor forever. To get out of that, I press “Back”, and then I see an “X” in place of the episode in the episode list. At the moment I have 4 of these “X”'s, and would like to know how to get rid of them.

I think that I’ve found a solution that’s unacceptable to me, but provides a workaround. Just cable up the Roku that I used to use, and bring up the Tablo app on it. That takes care of the problem, but is a lot of time and trouble finding things, unboxing, uncabling and then cabling up the Roku. Then going through the reverse process. Not acceptable, there should be a way to delete DVR recordings on the Sheld without having to use my old Roku.

What this really says to me is that the Tablo Preview app wasn’t ready for prime time at the point that it became the Tablo app.

Anyone found a way to get rid of DVR recordings that can’t be deleted for some reason?

Thanks.

1 Like

I have not seen this issue with the new tablo app on the Nvidia Shield. Have you tried to clear the app data or cache or worse case uninstall then reinstall the app?

Haven’t done that yet with this app. Doing a force stop, and clearing the app storage has “fixed” other apps, though. Next time this happens, and there will be a next time :-), I’ll try that.

One of the things I like about Android TV, gives you a degree of control that you don’t have with the others.

Not having this issue on our Shield TV either.

If you have an Android or iOS phone you could install the app on it to do the delete rather than have to hook up the Roku.

Yes, I could do that :-).

However, I don’t want another workaround, I want the Tablo app to work properly on my NVIDIA Shield.

1 Like

Understood, I was just saying until you figure you what’s up it at least saves you having to do all the device and cable switching.

I appreciate your contribution, and that would save me some work until Tablo gets their app working on my Shield. By the way, everything else works great on my Shield. Been using it for about 1.5 years now, much better than the Roku and Fire TV streamers I tried before settling on the NVIDIA.

You might open a ticket with them if clearing the app data/cache doesn’t because we’ve got the OG 2015 Shield TV and in the past have used both the Tablo Preview app and the standard Tablo app, and never had this issue. Still no issues with the latest release migrating the Tablo Preview app to become the standard Tablo app.

i had the same thing. It is fixed in the current beta. Until that is released you can get rid of the Xed episodes by rebooting the Tablo.

1 Like

Thanks, really good to hear something other than “works for me”. I’ll be watching for the next firmware version, then.

On my Sony TV using Tablo 2.0, the Settings screen indicates that the guide was updated two days and 5 hours ago. If I try to update it manually, it just keeps spinning. The Recording recent very often presents faulty information.The only way to get things corrected is to delete and reinstall the app.

But on my PC at http://my.tablotv.com/, it indicates that it was updated a few minutes ago!

I opened a ticket with Tablo but I would like to know if other users experience the same behaviour.

Hi folks - If you’re seeing any odd behavior when it comes to information being reported differently or deletion, we’ve just pushed an update that should help correct this.

Same problem for me on FireTV