NEW Firmware Release (2.2.2) - It's here!

Yes that is the setting I use as well. Which is why we’re likely not seeing the issue.

The 720p Roku / Chromecast setting records at 30 fps.

I did record a Lions game the other day, it was broadcast in 1080i recorded in 720p and the result was a little choppy the de-interlacing seems like it could use a little work too.

These threads need to be combined. I just posted that recording at 720p, watching with both Preview and Old Roku, made no difference. 2.2.2 is broken; we really need a way to go back until resolved. This is NOT a 1080p exclusive issue.

For everyone else it is exclusive to 1080p, switching to 720p solved the problem for them. We’ll have to wait and see what Tablo says on Tuesday.

While watching college football over the weekend, I didn’t notice the loading issue, but I did notice choppiness during playback of 720p content (my recording quality set at 1080p). The video would pause, become garbled, and then catch up while the audio remained unblemished. It did this about every 15-30 seconds. Certainly often enough that it was a distraction. I scaled my recording quality back down to 720p for smoother playback. I’m hoping this is a quick fix because the 60fps looks great when it’s not choppy.

I also experience the choppiness, too. And More…

Updated 2 days ago.
First day the new recorded shows didn;t pop up right away in RECORDING, delayed by about an hour after the shows over. the previous version, it showed right away during recording.

Second day, today. I have nothing on my RECORDING. while I’m expecting 2 recordings with total 3 hrs show. the question is: is the tablo still recording? according to the avail space, it’s not changing which normally means not recording.

I soft reboot 3x and hard reboot (unplug cable for 30 sec), still nothing.

I’m using web-app (Chrome on win7)

Please help.

I figured I’d add my experiences here not to complain, but from the perspective of adding information/data into the thread for Tablo and/or those smarter than myself in the analysis and pattern finding. Quick summary is that changing from recording in 1080P to 720P improved, but hasn’t fully resolved quality issues for me.

I got the Tablo update option Friday, but elected not to update yet given what I noticed on these threads, and also that I was out of town. Yesterday afternoon(Sunday) returned home, and couldn’t get any of my devices to locate the Tablo (A roku 3, a roku streaming stick, my paired phone, and my laptop chrome browser). I had just accessed the Tablo remotely on Saturday night, and streamed part of the Alabama/Wisconsin game on my phone, so I know that issue was brand new. A soft reboot of the Tablo allowed my devices to then locate it, and I went ahead and updated to 2.2.2 when I accessed it to rule out old firmware being a culprit going forward. I then noticed all of my usual Sunday AM lineup hadn’t recorded due to ‘no hard drive found,’ and after reading similar errors for that on these boards I forced an upgrade on my HD firmware (seems to have resolved for now…recorded successfully since…and note that I did the update a good 3 hours after the recording times). All that said, I’m not sure if the issues were related or completely coincidental, or if it was actually my HD or Tablo at fault for the recording misses, but those seem OK for the last 24 hours. It doesn’t seem like the update is a part of this to me, but included just in case anyone has seen similar.

Since those items and the update, I’ve had the same issues as those on this thread with the ‘loading’ errors since the update on both live TV and recordings. This AM I changed Tablo recording setting to 720P (Roku version), as well as changing the Roku 3 setting itself to 720P, and so far live TV is overall improved, but, not as it was pre-update…I’m seeing maybe a few very brief ‘load’ interruptions per hour (as opposed to one every minute w/1080P setting). Some of the errors don’t actually show the ‘loading’ message, but the play jumps back 5-10 seconds. I also perceive there are more quality blips/jitter on the broadcast than before (no ‘loading error’ on these, they look like an OTA signal issue), and I both haven’t moved my antenna and I’m testing with channels that had no quality issues before.

Using a Roku 3 4230X running v 6.2. My Tablo 2 tuner + Roku are both hard wired to my TP-LINK AC1750 router. HD is the recommended 2TB WD Elements 3.0 USB drive.

Edit: After a few days, will update to say I’m seeing zero issues on 720P. I haven’t retried 1080P.

OK, so I did the 2.2.2 update and just like everyone else I am now getting loading…please wait messages constantly. I went into settings and changed from 1080p to 720p Roku/Chromecast and the loading problems seem to be gone except for 1 or 2 times per hour, a very fast loading message appears and then quickly goes away. I can live with this quick loading message but one has to ask. Why??? Why do I have to revert to a 720p 30fps picture quality when I was able to use 1080p just fine with the previous version. I find it very hard to believe that this is the best that Tablo can do, and if so at least give us an option to use 1080p with a 30 fps option.It looks like someone at Tablo did not do their homework first before putting out update 2.2.2 It is completly unaccepatable and if the folks at Tablo are reading this MUST be fixed.

glucono1

Getting the same loading and repeat problem on playback. This really is something that should have been caught in beta. If it did not show up, maybe you need to do betas with a larger group of testers. This is making the Tablo all but unusable.

My Tablo worked great before the firmware update – now recordings scheduled on my iPad are not happening. Very disappointed!!! It has made the Tablo useless.

Tablo really must get a new set of Beta testers or get a much larger set of testers. (No offense intended to the current Beta testers.) You really do a good job.

My Tablo was working great before the update. I updated Friday and thought the update was fine.

My wife saw that her Bachelor in Paradise was missing. It didn’t record Sunday night. I also noticed that MY Nascar race was also missing. I opened up the Tablo on Chrome & under Live TV it said both shows were recording but they were not.

Again Tonight under Live TV it shows 2 shows recording but they do not show up under recordings.

I tried to watch The People Court tonight to see if 720p/60 would work. The show played for about 30 seconds and the Tablo Preview App crashed & I ended up at the Roku Home screen.

Please Tablo we need to get this fixed. Your DVR at this point is very unreliable and just plain does not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

The actual number of beta testers is irrelevant. If the number of testers was the critical item every major windows or IOS release would be perfect.

The most important item is actually mature software testing methodology.

Of course one has to wonder why any consumer/user that is completely dependent on perfection would immediately upgrade to a release that has both major structure and feature changes.

2 Likes

I never asked for perfection. I just want the thing to record a show.

1 Like

What’s the point of releasing it if not to have us upgrade? This certainly isn’t on the poor souls who upgraded. Hopefully, the ones feeling smarter from not upgrading can help explain to Tablo some of what needs to be fixed…with input of course from the ones who did.

This is interesting, as I recall the beta testers did not have the issues a lot of you seem to be having. My scheduled recordings all still record, manual recordings record. I do have a bit of loading issues, but that has been for a long time and depends on the device I use and it’s connectivity to the network.

3 Likes

Curious if you heard whether those that were testing were doing so with the since released Roku updates? It seems like that is the most widely reported platform having problems. And luckily my recordings are all fine, just seeing the Roku loading/retrieving delays and messages and having a Chrome viewing problem.

The new Roku update would probably affect playback, but it would not affect recordings.

I had 4 scheduled recordings tonight & only 1 recorded.

I did reboot the unit last night but it did not help.

1 Like

Well I use the beta version of the Roku app, and like I said, depending on the device I do see buffering. I have found, although annoying, if I pause for a bit everything runs fine. Then if I fast forward I have to pause again. But, this was happening prior to the upgrade/beta.

1 Like

Let me add, I upgraded my TV to a Roku TV and that has more buffering than my Roku 3 did. I assume that is because the Roku 3 was connected directly to my router where as my TV is wifi only, no way to connect direct. :frowning:

Contrary to many here, I installed 2.2.2 on Friday and it went well. On Sat. I recorded 2 ncaa fb games at 1080 - one broadcast at 1080 and the other at 720. The replay and pic on both was excellent - as good as broadcast to me. However, they used a total of 44GB for 8h 42mins - wow, a lot of disk space. I have moved back to 720 Roku to save disk. One other thing I noted was that they did not create FFW previews even after 36hrs. My other new recording have created FFW previews much faster than before and usually were done in less that an hour. (My Tablo is wireless thru a Airport Extreme and a Airport Express running on 6.144 Mbps DSL)

I would be nice if you consider offering and 720 at 60fps to save disk space. I have a lot of 480 channels and it does look like they are better also.

Bottom Line: I am very happy with the upgrade - GREAT job and keep up with the effort!!

Just some additional data - I have 2 Roku 3s(not the new talking ones) 2 almost new Vizio smart tvs, and iPad 3, and Apple tv and iPhone 5 and they all work fine with Tablo!!!