NEW Firmware Release - 2.1.24 (old thread)

Awesome new feature.  It’s great that you really listen to the community and are improving the software on such a regular basis.@tablotv 

@samcraig

I’m happy for the strides too but there are those in the community who feel the updates are too slow. Glad to hear some positivity for once :slight_smile:

I’m able to watch and cast via iphone with no probems, so it seems to be the google web app. I will need to play some more with it.  Hopefully I will get it to work.  

Just wanted to make sure my question is not lost in the shuffle -

I see thumbnails on my Chrome web app at home but don’t see them on my Chrome web app when using Tablo Direct outside my home network. 

Any explanation for that?

@jdoe

There are certain features that don’t work with Tablo Connect like remembering the last position in a show.

Key question though: what is your remote streaming quality set to? My best guess is you’re not using Full Quality. This means the video is being transcoded by one of the tuners to a lower quality to match the bitrate you’ve selected. And I’d assumed the thumbnails are not transcoded.

@jdoe

There are certain features that don’t work with Tablo Connect like remembering the last position in a show.

Key question though: what is your remote streaming quality set to? My best guess is you’re not using Full Quality. This means the video is being transcoded by one of the tuners to a lower quality to match the bitrate you’ve selected. And I’d assumed the thumbnails are not transcoded.

My remote streaming quality is set to 1Mbps. So I think that is consistent with what you are saying. Thumbnails outside my home are not important to me. Just trying to figure out if this was unique to me or others had experienced the same thing.It sounds like others will experience the same thing if they don’t have Full Quality remote streaming. Thanks, theuser86.

@jdoe

What is your upload speed on your internet?

Set the remote streaming quality to full quality and let me know if you get the thumbnails in Chrome. If your upload speed is too slow you may get choppy playback but you’ll at least know that is why thumbnails are not working.

The phone Tablo apps should work on your phone as long as you are on WiFi.  Are your internal ports blocked too?  Does that Tablo require any internal ports to be open?
Everything is internal, I don't have connect, my router won't allow it. 
I have 3 devices - the two Moto X phones, both running the web app, of course, since nothing else works on phones, and the notebook, also using the web app because there is no other way for a PC.
I go through Chrome on the notebook. I launch the web app on the phone directly. I've never set up connect, and always use them exactly the same ways, always have. I have to go through my.tablotv.com of course since it's the web app, that's also a given. It's my own internal address and never changes. the notebook has not been shut down or restarted since I bought Tablo, it's the same browser, same tab, same everything. There's simply no way it could possibly be anything but a local network connection with the Tablo private address. 
It's honestly simple - I can't use connect, it's not set up, I never checked that box, never had anything but connection to the local private address 192.168.0.100 always. I don't have the bandwidth to get Tablo to the Internet and then back to a device in my home for connect to work anyway. And my router/firewall is locked down, no ports are forwarded.  

Phone tablo apps are also web-based apps. They are not like the regular Android tablet app - which requires a 7" or larger screen. So phones work much the same way.

No, nothing blocked internally - if it was Tablo could not operate. They are on the same LAN segment internally. 
Again, we can absolutely count out anything network since the bulk of Tablo works fine, even pulling recordings off via the Python scripts or using the graphic plug for VLC works, so nothing network-wise. It’s absolutely certainly NOT network in any way shape or form.

OK, to summarize - my network is fine. My equipment is very new and all very current on the firmware, etc. The router is only 3 months old, current and fine. My Internet connectivity is not the router, it’s the fact that I live in a black hole of cell signals. I have to have a REPEATER setup to use cell voice and 3g. My repeater doesn’t handle 4g and my router is 4g only. 
There’s nothing weird about the equipment and it’s functioning fine, it’s just that it’s hard to get a signal when you live at the bottom of a hill, down in a river valley surrounded by trees and hills. Internet loss at the router is a problem with everyone in our neighborhood. To use a cell phone unless you are in our house covered by the repeater, you have to drive about a mile.
The Internet loss every so often is a function apart from the Tablo other than when it’s down, I can’t connect to Tablo or access Tablo functions because the web apps, and the phones use the web apps, too, require my.tablotv.com which is an outside or external server. If you can’t get to the web, you can’t get to their server and thus a web-app on your phone or your PC can’t get to your Tablo. Sad but true and they explained the why of that to me a while back so I won’t bug them again on it - at least for a day or so yet.
If I had network troubles, I’d have other issues with Tablo. Tablo, my PC, my FireTV stick, my phones that connect to DATA through the router and all other devices work great. It’s only 1 issue with tablo and recorded shows. Nothing else. I don’t have buffering issues when using FireTV stick, and buffering is a tiny issue with Chromecast now that I’ve set Tablo to record at 720/Roku and Chromecast setting. It’s a problem when the show had reception issues, seems Tablo chokes a lot of the reception isn’t great but again, that was an issue with my cabling and splitting the feed a bazillion times over 1982 RG59 cable spanning over 100 feet. Not a Tablo issue, gotta blame me for that, not them.
I have one issue with the Tablo - that’s its not saving my spot - no bookmark to go back to.

I have not tried it since the update as frankly I’ve been not in the mood for TV with a bad head cold and throat infection. No need to step back from your PC, it can’t travel Ethernet yet… and I hope my firewalls would stop it anyway. 
My setup - 
Tablo quad. Tablo wired to router, 6’ Cat 5e cable direct to router from Tablo. 
Tablo has a reserved IP address, and it’s always had 192.168.0.100 since I first allowed it on my network. That address has never changed. 
My router is a NG 2200d with the latest firmware. It sits near the TV and near a window to help with the cellular 4g reception issues.  
I have my notebook computer, a later Toshiba with Windows 7 64bit in the same room as the router, TV, Tablo, etc. and it connects at n300 speeds at times, a solid as a rock n150 most of the time. Access to all things on my network are super fast, including remote printing to the printer in my main office, my server/computer in my office, and the web. Speed isn’t an issue. The only things connected Wi-Fi are the notebook, our 2 Moto X phones (also very current) and my wife’s Kindle Fire when she’s using it. Everything Wi-Fi is in the same room, a max of 15’ apart.
My wife is into online games and chats with her quilting friends and says performance is fine with her devices on the network. 
I can get to Tablo FAST, I can switch tabs or pages fast, I can view live TV program guide, set a show to record in a second or two, view show info almost instantly, and show our recordings in the blink of an eye. 
Traffic to and from all devices is good, fast pings, no dropped packets, etc. Firewall logs are clean. 

If the Tablo recorded show bookmark or place holding isn’t resolved with the latest firmware update for Tablo, I’ll likely open a ticket with them so they can take a look-see and see what the logs are showing and check out my browser stats. 
Since I mostly use the FTV stick now, I’m used to no saving my place. The web app is slower and more complex (more mouse clicks, etc.) to use Chromecast so I’ll have to make special effort to test again with the browser. I generally now use the phones and computer to mark shows to record, check on things, check the program guide and so on. FTV is just so much faster and easier, it’s hard to go back. 
@jdoe

Set the remote streaming quality to full quality and let me know if you get the thumbnails in Chrome. If your upload speed is too slow you may get choppy playback but you’ll at least know that is why thumbnails are not working.

My upload speed from uverse is a pitiful 1.9Mbps but I will try to full quality so see what happens. Thanks.

@jdoe

Mystery solved. When I changed the remote streaming quality  to Full Quality the thumbnails were there. (Not sure the video is watchable at Full Quality but at least I understand why the tumbnails were not there when I had it at ! Mbps.) Very fine diagnosis - much appreciated.

@jdoe Sorry that I didn’t see this earlier. Great call and suggestion by @theuser86.

Is there an update planned for the iPad app to enable thumbnails as well?

@pnear Yep, feature parity remains a priority. It’s just a matter of what and when. Lots to work on :smiley:

@pnear - It is possible to add thumbnails to the iPad app but this will require some significant UI work. (We basically need to build them into the player from scratch). It’s on the to-do list, but I don’t have any ETA at this point. 

Thumbnail previews are awesome. No issues to report. Thanks Tablo!

Update, I use the web app and the system seems to continuously synch.  I read that other have the same. I will clear data and restart laptop to see if that fixes it. Otherwise all works well.
Not sure if I am messed up or not now.....

So, I cleared the cache....had to reconnect to tablo, still just syncing via WEB APP. I went in via Roku and all shows are there, however the WEB APP shows no channel line up, no recordings, but it does show that my hard drive has 1..71 TB Available

@napercort which web browser are you using and which version is it? For comparison, I’m currently using Google Chrome version 41.0.2272.74 beta-m.

@Joltarin Google Version 40.0.2214.115 m (64-bit). I had to look and when I did it started updating.

Now it is Version 41.0.2272.76 m (64-bit)
@Joltarin Google Version 40.0.2214.115 m (64-bit). I had to look and when I did it started updating.

Now it is Version 41.0.2272.76 m (64-bit)

It seems unlikely since I’m (practically) already on that version, but has updating made any difference for you?

At the moment, no. Still syncing. I’m going to let it run for a bit to see if that helps.

Update, one hour on the web app and still syncing. No clue. Suggestions? The web app is all I have. Rest the box?