NEW Firmware Release - 2.1.24 (old thread)

Well hallelujah after taking a handful of drugs for my throat/sinus stuff and taking a 2 hour+ nap, I decided what the heck, watch some of the shows run as a Leonard Nimoy tribute on a local station.

I used CHROME and Chromecast.
i did nothing different than normal, started one, watched about 7 minutes of it, paused and exited it, then started another and watched about 5 minutes of it, paused, exited that show, did some other stuff, then came back and re-loaded the first and it picked up exactly where I had left off - and it showed that half blue half not blue dot too - 
Apparently this firmware update did more than just the thumb nails, not only does resume now work on the computer with Chrome and Chromecast, but the FF works fine on the PC, too.
I’ve not tried FF on the phone - recall previously that FF never worked for me on the phone or PC, but on the phone I could turn it to landscape position and then FF did work, but portrait or normal position the FF and RW didn’t work except to make the play pause and act goofy.
The update has resolved the bookmark or placeholder on the computer, will try phone later.
the update has resolved the FF issue on the PC and Chrome/Chromecast.
Maybe that’s some of the “minor instability issues” or perhaps my Tablo firmware prior to this update had some flakiness to it and it took a new version to resolve those issues. 
I find the whole experience a lot better now - oh, and the thumb nails are ok, too.  ;-)

Now back to nap/sleep so i can get over this crud, or play with my Tablo some more. I’m pretty excited by this discovery! But even if it hadn’t resolved my lack of Tablo saving my spot, the thumb nails do help a lot to see where you are in a show. Cool beans. Love it.
I like that sort of unexpected side effect of an update. 
Anyone notice increased lag when waiting for a refresh.  For example (all on Roku 2 ), times are approximate

Cold Start, after loading Roku channel, Await Live TV List - 20 Seconds
Exit a Live TV Broadcast and await TV List - 15 Seconds
Select recorded TV Show (not episode) - 15 Seconds
Bring up Episode list after Selecting Show from Recordings - 10 - 15 Seconds
Exit a Playback of recorded episode before you can interact again - 10 - 15 Seconds

incredible lag here after entering app. The app itself comes right up as always on Roku2xs…but programs both live and recorded are SLOW to load, then tend to reload…longer than you quoted, but similar problem.

Signal excellent on wifi, 
Other roku apps loading fine.
Looking at the new options, I saw one for roku 720p, selected that, running now, not sure how it will go overall. 

@RadioMan

Yes likely a WiFi speed issue. Try the 720p Roku / Chromecast quality setting.

Strange, however…that’s under “recording” settings, not playback…and, I’m a whole 10 feet from the wifi, with excellent signal on roku.  Seems to be this specific app related. Can you help clarify for me how the setting for recording would that have any effect on already recorded things I want to play back, (and live TV)  or is it really not a function of the recording as much as serving up the video upon playback?   Love learning this box, which is nothing short of incredible!

Do LOVE the box, two tuner almost not enough once you get hooked on owning one of these…and definitely need to expand hard drive through the successful options I’ve researched through these helpful forums!

@RadioMan

Changing the recording quality only makes a difference for Live TV and future recordings. The 720p Roku / Chromecast setting is at a lower bitrate for WiFi streaming.

The old recordings are still the same bitrate as previously. You can have have transient WiFi signal issues resulting in varying speeds.

Are you using Wireless N 2.4 GHz? What is the make and model of your router?

I think the problem is the images for the guide on the web.  I hope (hint @TabloTV) that the new Roku app can download the schedule and all associated images during the night.  Once you run the web app, does it save the guide and images or does it have to sync again?  I am glad I found that promo for the 4 tuner and free 1 TB disk.  I almost only got a 2 tuner and pay for the 1 TB drive.  For only $30 more, I got the 4 tuner.

Router is a belkin, running dd-wrt firmware, build 13064. On it’s own channel, separate from the “other” wifi in our commercial building. (my Tablo serves a radio station and a literal “studio” apartment!) 2.4 gig, “G” only…not sure of model since, if I understand properly from our station engineer, the DD-WRT replaces the original firmware with better options. Quite stable overall, currently channel 6.

…tough to get TO the router, or model would be posted, BTW. 

The change in the setting to 720P for roku has NOT adversely affected the picture, and seems MUCH more stable with no interruptions so far on playing live TV. I didn’t see this option before, is it new with this upgrade? Now, I’ll watch settings carefully for best speed of access for playback with hopefully same video stability results.

@RadioMan. the 720p Roku setting has been around for quite a few months now.

Wow! I hadn’t seen it, could I have missed an intermediate update? Didn’t think that was possible. Just got the scare of my life where Tablo is concerned…a break from channel 64 during MASH put the commercials in “chimpmunk/fast forward” mode…and restarted the stream multiple times.  After all the restarts, MASH restarted normally, and the stability came back with no stream restarts. VERY odd…is there info in the video stream that channel 64 would have upset with commercials in fast forward?  This HAS to be the strangest thing I’ve ever seen happen! 

…another break in another episode. Same symptoms. Had NO idea the tablo was that sensitive to broadcasters’ quality control. Channel 64-2 in Muskegon, MI certainly gets MUCH more info in a commercial break than most stations…about twice as much!  And, each time, the stream stops and rebuffers! Then it’s normal during the show.  Funny and sad at the same time.

Definitely not the fault of our Tablo box.

@RadioMan

I can definitely tell you Wireless G does not have the throughput to be stable on 1080p. It can be fast enough but over a short distance from the router you’ll issues.

Get a wireless N router. The Roku 2 XS (model 3100) has wireless N 2.4 GHz.

I’ve never run mine for 1080, always 720. My eyes never see the difference…and one of my sets, maybe two only do 720. Thanks for the tips, however!!!

@TabloSupport Blacklist, no thumbnails, I know this has to do with all 4 tuners in use at the same time. I have saw this happen during the beta and it still happens. Need to get that fixed :wink:

@TabloSupport another weird issue…

Backstrom - Plays ok until it gets to around 36min then it goes down to like 30min total

First Aired: Mar 5, 2015
Length: 59 mins
Remaining: 50 mins

Had to keep playing around to get past that

This was a great update, TabloTV!  Love the thumbnails.  Really makes using the device so much nicer.  Our 4-tuner updated itself with no issues.

I think the problem is the images for the guide on the web.  I hope (hint @TabloTV) that the new Roku app can download the schedule and all associated images during the night.

I’m not sure which problem you’re referring to. However, from what I’ve read, Roku apps/channels don’t have storage space like apps on other platforms do. (Remember the Roku platform is designed specifically for streaming media.) I expect the Roku app will have to download the necessary data every time you launch it.

Since the upgrade I have been  struggling with both my 2 and 4 tuner Tablos with all kind of lockups, connection problems etc… regardless of what I tried.  Each Tablo has a 2TB drive both of which are close to full.

Last night I did a factory reset on both Tablos and so far everything is back to normal.  It was tedious to rescan the channels and add all my scheduled recordings but I had no choice.

As for the data, it was all wiped out by the factory reset.  Why am I not upset? I have all my recordings backed up to my NAS.

I use the program tablo2go (described somewhere in another thread) which downloads all the recordings and converts them to .mp4 with appropriate filename and year.  From there they are copied onto my NAS running Plex server which adds all the correct meta data to the shows.  I now can watch all my recordings using the Plex client on Roku.  The experience is very similar to the Roku Tablo application  complete thumbnails, show descriptions and ratings.  This is the best way to off load your data and get around the Tablo hard drive limitations and non built-in transfer capability.

@Satcruiser

If this happens again, please let Tablo Support look at your logs before factory resetting. It is the only way they can isolate the reasons for certain problems.

Glad to hear you’re up and running again though.