NEW Firmware Release - 2.1.24 (old thread)

Everything is internal, I don't have connect, my router won't allow it. 
I have 3 devices - the two Moto X phones, both running the web app, of course, since nothing else works on phones, and the notebook, also using the web app because there is no other way for a PC.
I go through Chrome on the notebook. I launch the web app on the phone directly. I've never set up connect, and always use them exactly the same ways, always have. I have to go through my.tablotv.com of course since it's the web app, that's also a given. It's my own internal address and never changes. the notebook has not been shut down or restarted since I bought Tablo, it's the same browser, same tab, same everything. There's simply no way it could possibly be anything but a local network connection with the Tablo private address. 
It's honestly simple - I can't use connect, it's not set up, I never checked that box, never had anything but connection to the local private address 192.168.0.100 always. I don't have the bandwidth to get Tablo to the Internet and then back to a device in my home for connect to work anyway. And my router/firewall is locked down, no ports are forwarded.  

Have you tried power cycling ALL your network gear…? … also for web browsers try cleaning the caches.

I was finally able to connect to my 2 tuner Tablo after another reboot attempt.  A few hours later cannot connect again.  

My 4 tuner is working just fine and the new functionality is awesome.

My guess is that the 2 tuner Tablo is locking up during the thumbnail generation.  I have around 2K shows on each system with identical 2TB drives.  

Anybody else who upgraded a 2 tuner with a lot of shows experiencing similar symptoms?  ie: reboot and connection works fine.  A few hours of idle time try another connection and it hangs until another reboot.

I am sure support will fix it but it is very annoying. 

I applied the updated and now my Tablo is dead.  Downloaded, installed, rebooted.  And now I can’t access via Chrome or Roku.  Re-started the Tablo 2X and same.  In Chrome / Web it just sits at top spinning saying connecting.  In Roku it says it can’t find it / search again.

Do I own a bricked Tablo now?

Well it came back.  It took about 15 minutes before it was recognized (after physically re-starting Tablo).  What an ugly update process.  I’ll remember next time not to bother unless I have 30 minutes to mess around with it. 

Oh, yeah, there’s but one thing involved to power cycle as far as network, the Netgear 2200d and that’s been done since it needs to be done now and then to get Internet back due to where we live. (cell service is flaky, but it’s better than cable or DSL which don’t exist here)

But the router would have zero to do with Tablo picking up where left off or not if you think of it logically. 
I do have to ask - how could a router impact this if all else works fine? I’m quite certain we can skip anything to do with the network honestly as it can’t possibly be involved in selectively choosing what Tablo elements will work and which will not. It passes packets, it routes packets. It won’t cause 1 specific thing in Tablo to not function but allow all other functions to exist and work fine. And since the speed is excellent, and all else functions beautifully, it ain’t network.
The connection is there and is fine and fast. (I’m a network admin and architect at work so am up on network troubleshooting. I support nearly 40 routers, about as many firewalls, smart Juniper switches that route and have firewall abilities, etc.)  

Been through all the obvious stuff anyway just “because it’s simple to do” and as we’ve been discussing this for a month or more and all devices have been power cycled and the cache and data cleared, each thing more than once and the issue persists.
And since it’s on ALL devices I’ve used with Tablo, it’s not just a browser cache, otherwise it would function on the phones and if it was just a phone thing, it would function on the PC.
Two phones, PCs, it’s not the network (it’s also a reserved address although that has squat to do with this) and the Tablo is WIRED to the router with a new certified 5e 6’ cable.
There’s something about it where Tablo is not writing the last viewed position of any recordings. It’s any recorded show, so it’s not show specific, day, week or month specific. I use Chromecast it always always starts every show at the very beginning as soon as I start to “cast”. If I don’t cast it, if I just go go watch it on my PC, it also starts each show at 0 time, even if I’ve watched it part way through multiple times, it always goes to 0 time. So I’ve gotten to the point of trying to remember where I left off with each show. 
I have not tried since the firmware update, however, down with a BAD throat and sinus infection so may not be into TV for a couple of days but would like to try Tablo with the update from 2 nights ago just to see how it works with thumbnails, etc. and if they did resolve some “stability issues”, who knows, maybe the update helped.

Thumbnail previews are awesome. No issues to report. Thanks Tablo!

Update, I use the web app and the system seems to continuously synch.  I read that other have the same. I will clear data and restart laptop to see if that fixes it. Otherwise all works well.

The phone Tablo apps should work on your phone as long as you are on WiFi.  Are your internal ports blocked too?  Does that Tablo require any internal ports to be open?

Everything is internal, I don’t have connect, my router won’t allow it. 
I have 3 devices - the two Moto X phones, both running the web app, of course, since nothing else works on phones, and the notebook, also using the web app because there is no other way for a PC.
I go through Chrome on the notebook. I launch the web app on the phone directly. I’ve never set up connect, and always use them exactly the same ways, always have. I have to go through my.tablotv.com of course since it’s the web app, that’s also a given. It’s my own internal address and never changes. the notebook has not been shut down or restarted since I bought Tablo, it’s the same browser, same tab, same everything. There’s simply no way it could possibly be anything but a local network connection with the Tablo private address. 
It’s honestly simple - I can’t use connect, it’s not set up, I never checked that box, never had anything but connection to the local private address 192.168.0.100 always. I don’t have the bandwidth to get Tablo to the Internet and then back to a device in my home for connect to work anyway. And my router/firewall is locked down, no ports are forwarded.  

No upgrade issues, thumbnails working great.  Progress indicators still wonky - sometimes there, sometimes not.

Is the web app failing to sync in Chrome for anyone else? It says it’s syncing but never seems to make any progress.

At least Roku continues to work. And the thumbnails are a great new feature!

Edit: It seems @napercort is having the same problem. I should mention that the only thing that changed when I cleared the local storage in Chrome for my.tablotv.com is that all previously synced items were removed. Also the Live TV page doesn’t populate in the web app either.
I do have to ask - how could a router impact this if all else works fine? 

It can have everything to do with things not working correctly … networking gear from time to time requires resetting and specifically you need to ensure you are on the latest firmware updates for your devices… if you are having problems or random connection issues it could be because your ISP has made changes upstream that are possibly not compatible with your gear if its old or out of date … As I mentioned before sometimes the systems just need to be “cleaned” and the best way to do that is a power cycle (ie. it will clear out internal network caches and such, reset counters ,etc)… Its an easy thing to do and it help eliminate potential issues.  I am not clear on your specific setup but it sounds like you have a somewhat “unconventional” configuration to get service… this could introduce unusual lag or delays within your networking gear… and depending on the software running in your devices it might not be able to cope with it… (I am just trying to throw out ideas for you to try to help resolve your situation) (networking gear is something that people frequently overlook and often forget about but as technology moves on it does need to be upgraded from time to time… since older routers may not be able to cope with todays broadband speeds).

• Upgrade went smoothly - can see thumbnails on Chrome web app and rokus on home network
  • I use Tablo Connect (port forwarding) away from home and it works fine
  • But thumbnails do not appear on Chrome web app when away from home using Tablo Connect to watch movies
Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

Firmware update went fine on my dual tuner unit.

I noticed after the reset that my WiFi connection to the Tablo was weaker than before (Router reported about a 10dB signal drop), so I went back to a wired connection.  Whether this was related to the firmware update (other fixes), I can’t say (without release notes), or perhaps it is just the random weirdness of WiFi completely unrelated to Tablo firmware.

The device has been solid since the upgrade with a wired connection.

Thank you Tablo, this is an awesome upgrade.  I will patiently wait for the Roku update, I’m sure it will be fantastic.

I killed my Comcast service a month ago, put in a 4 tuner Tablo, Roku 3 and SlingTV and I have never looked back!  I now get all the TV I want for about 80% less than what I paid to those thieves at Comcast . . . the monthly savings will pay for all of the required equipment for the Tablo installation in about 3 months.

Again, thank you for making such an awesome product.  Every time one of my friends complains about their ridiculous cable bill, I let them know that there is a great alternative . . .
Firmware update went fine on my dual tuner unit.

I noticed after the reset that my WiFi connection to the Tablo was weaker than before (Router reported about a 10dB signal drop), so I went back to a wired connection.  Whether this was related to the firmware update (other fixes), I can't say (without release notes), or perhaps it is just the random weirdness of WiFi completely unrelated to Tablo firmware.

The device has been solid since the upgrade with a wired connection.

To that note I should add I use wired connections myself as much as possible here … and I also use the ethernet over power aka POWERLINE adaptors … I found I get much better results and things are generally way more stable by using hardwired connections vs wifi.

I like to watch the Today show in the mornings, It starts at 7am, but I don’t start watching until about 8-9am.  I watch for about an hour then go to work.  Since i have installed this update, I am unable to see the new recording of the Today show until hours after it has started.  I’m assuming it is due to the thumbnails.  Can I turn this feature off, or uninstall this update?  Thumbnails are a nice feature but I’d rather watch the today show - today.

@jnnett you should be able to see the show as soon as it starts recording. What device are you watching on??

@jnnett, I just tried to watch right after it finished, and I had no problems watching it.   Now it didn’t have any thumbnails on the web or Roku apps, but it did show up right away.

Just wanted to report that the update to my 4 Tuner Tablo went just fine.  I did it via the Android App remotely, downloaded, installed, and rebooted in about 5 minutes.  I did this the morning the update was available.  Last night was the first chance we had to watch shows and the thumbnails were awesome on my Roku 3.

Thanks!

I have a 4 tuner tablo and watchin via web app with chromcast.  Now I’m getting a player error, and chromcast error 404 not found on shows I recorded after firmware update.  Prior recordings seem to work, but slow to load.

@jestep, @snowcat, I have a 4 tuner tablo and watchin via web app with chromcast.  Now I'm getting a player error, and chromcast error 404 not found on shows I recorded after firmware update.  Prior recordings seem to work, but slow to load.