NEW Firmware Release - 2.1.24 (old thread)

THANK-YOU! Tablo, this is great.  ^:)^

Finally an update, I was starting to wonder what the heck was going on over there because we haven't seen a software update in like 4 months. Bummer they only added one feature though, honestly expected more.

Last year the updates seemed to come pretty rapidly and that was one of the things that drew me to tablo but then they stopped coming. Would really like to see at least a monthly update if not better.

The Roku and FireTv interfaces have also been developed these past few months and are expected to be released by the end of March.  

2.1.16 was released in September, 2.1.18 in November, and 2.1.20 in December.  This one took a little longer, but the release schedule is still pretty consistent.

@snowcat

Thanks for the clarification. Some people are never happy though - c’est la vie

@ShadowsPapa

Did you try upgrading your Tablo from the sideloaded app on the Fire TV Stick? The app is unsupported on that device and doesn’t work perfectly, there are certain features which just don’t work the way they should.

aleluia!

I am so happy that this feature is now available

No issues with the update here but I’ve got a problem when performing a channel scan. Might not be related to the update but since I can’t be 100% sure I’ll expalin here:

Last night after performing the update I noticed that the data for Bounce read “Off Air” so I performed a rescan. After the rescan I found that Bounce had moved and a few channels of interest had been added but the scan doesn’t find any channels above 60.

I’ve tried the rescan via a browser, android device, iPhone and iPad. I’ve used my zip code and “current location”. All with the same result. No channels above 60. Here’s the kicker, my current channel lineup includes several channels/sub-channels in the 60’s including two of which I watch live with a great signal 68.3 GetTV + 68.4 ESC.

My download and update went fine, but then problems with reconnecting.  One press of the reset button fixed that, and some time later the thumbnails worked.

This will vastly improve my user experience.  Thanks!

Gave it the 24 hours - thumbnails work great on the Roku 3. I have about 200 recordings.

Thanks Tablo! We love you but please give us the Fire TV app now :slight_smile:

@snowcat

Thanks for the clarification. Some people are never happy though - c’est la vie

@ShadowsPapa

Did you try upgrading your Tablo from the sideloaded app on the Fire TV Stick? The app is unsupported on that device and doesn’t work perfectly, there are certain features which just don’t work the way they should.

Nope - browser although I am betting it would have worked via the FTV since it’s still a direct shot into the Tablo device. So far it’s done everything that the web app does, but much better and faster.
But for comfort, I used the web app to launch the update via the settings page. 

It hung - and apparently had hung on the download. Since it did start, regardless of interface, it wasn’t an issue caused by interface, otherwise it would not have said “hey, there’s an update, ya wanna grab it and toss it in here? Thanks for the click, I’ll do that for ya.” 

If it were an interface issue, it would have likely said "eh? I don’t understand, what’s that again? Say what? You want to do what?, what button you clickin’ anyway, fool?"

I guess Tablo devices are ADD - they start on a task, get bored and just stop, appearing to ignore you. They decide they’d rather do something else for a while.  HA.  ;-)
Glad I did the update during lunch.  As more people get Tablo, they need a faster server to handle the increased traffic. Perhaps they can do the update in phases based on mac addresses or alphabetical order or zip code.  @TabloSupport - just a suggestion.

I did the same thing, luckily.  Went smoth.

Installed on my 4 tuner without any problems. We watched a few shows on the Roku 3 last night and the thumbnails worked great and made it a lot easier FF over commercials. 

Totally agree.  I was catchign up on some recorded TV and this is a very nice touch

Anyone notice increased lag when waiting for a refresh.  For example (all on Roku 2 ), times are approximate

Cold Start, after loading Roku channel, Await Live TV List - 20 Seconds
Exit a Live TV Broadcast and await TV List - 15 Seconds
Select recorded TV Show (not episode) - 15 Seconds
Bring up Episode list after Selecting Show from Recordings - 10 - 15 Seconds
Exit a Playback of recorded episode before you can interact again - 10 - 15 Seconds

I upgraded my 2 tuner first and it would not reboot successfully.  I unplugged the power and plugged back and it took about 5 minutes but everything came back up fine.
Did the same with my 4 tuner and it exhibited the same symptoms, however it took about 15 minutes to come back on line after a power up.
Just give it time..  Hopefully everything else is still working fine.

Spoke too soon.  This morning my 4 tuner Tablo connected fine but my 2 tuner Tablo is stuck connecting, even though it was working fine after the upgrade yesterday and nothing changed since then.  It may be busy generating thumbnails but this is no good.

Another circumstance during the upgrade:

Download was around 30 seconds ish
Install was around 15 seconds ish
Reboot timed out and failed.  Had to reset the box manually.  Once booted, the upgrade was successful.

I guess when skipping commercials, I know that they are usually in increments of 15, 30 or 60 seconds with the latter being the norm.

So, I simply click FF30 2 or 3 times, figure it’s the half-way mark or the quarter hour mark, I might click FF more. I click until I see the show is back. It’s easier to me than using some other means (and with the TV being over 10’ away, I’d rather not squint and figure out what the small picture is), but if I have watched part of a show, or want to go back to a specific point in the show, can’t recall the exact time mark, the thumb nails would be very nice. I can’t see me using them for commercial skipping when with the AFTV stick it’s been lightening fast to click ff 4 or 6 times and bingo, there’s the show again, and some shows start out dark or in a place you’d not expect after a commercial so for me it would just take longer. 
Since Tablo doesn’t save where you left off if you paused a show or stopped watching it and then go back to it later, the thumb nails will be GREAT for finding my spot where I left off last time, or if I want to start a minute or two before that spot, it would be easier so I’m sure I’ll appreciate them, just differently than most folks appear to. 

Wow, download in 30 seconds? You must have a nice fast cable connection. Nice. Install took a very short time, so quick I could only guess but it was under a minute for sure. Reboot after install took the normal Tablo reboot time, no longer, no less. 

@ShadowsPapa "Since Tablo doesn’t save where you left off if you paused a show or stopped watching it and then go back to it later"

Yes it does. The only place it doesn’t currently is in the Android web app. Roku, iPad, Web Browser all save your spot.

EDITED to include @TabloSupport, I have reported the Web App on Android many times. Hopefully this is being fixed.

@Jestep,  Web app on Kit Kit to be exact.  Pause and resume works fine on Lollipop.  

No, the web app on my PC through Chromecast does not. The Android app on FTV does not. I’ve yet to have Tablo save my spot, no matter how I exit or what device I use. 
The web browser is how I used to do ALL of my recorded show watching until the FTV stick came along, and with that I still do use the browser if the PC is already on my lap. 
Basically, Tablo has never saved my spots, ever. It still doesn’t/won’t.
Phone with web app - no.

Browser/PC/web app - no. 
Side-loaded Android app on FireTV stick - no.

@snowcat just hate AT&T has not release Lollipop on Galaxy S5… My wife has LG G3 and it is updated already!!!

But thanks for the info 

@ShadowsPapa Web Browser does, if yours is not working then something else is going on. Maybe it has to do with the Casting?? Maybe someone else has experience with that.

Are you using Google Chrome??

Since Fire TV is not supported yet, I believe that :wink: My guess is that is a kitkat issue or similar