NEW Firmware Release - 2.1.24 (old thread)

I have the update and saw the thumbnails for a while.    But after a day or two they have stopped showing when I fast forward or rewind.   Is there some trick to get them to come back. 

@wkufan92 @snowcat @Jestep @ShadowsPapa 

On thumbnail generation:

Thumbnails will not be generated unless there’s an available tuner ready for the process. If/when there is a tuner available, it’s roughly a matter of a few minutes per recording.

One thing to keep in mind here, while you may not be actively watching a live TV stream, remember the Tablo keeps a tuner spun up for one hour after you’ve tuned to it for easier and faster switching.

This is a bit of a corner case, but the key here to remember is that if you’ve turned to a live TV stream in the last hour, it’s going to be keep that tuner running in the background at a higher priority than thumbnail generation.

Thumbnails can fail to generate entirely, though. If there’s packet loss or bit errors in the recording (which could lead to video corruption) it can invalidate the thumbnail generation process entirely for that recording.

@emshon Remember that thumbnails are only supported on the Tablo Roku channel and on http://my.tablotv.com/. They won’t appear on any other devices. Are your thumbnails showing up on the devices mentioned above?

@TabloSupport I do have a lot with missing thumbnails and have a ticket opened. The recordings are fine, just no thumbnails.

I do still have them incase you want to take a look :wink:

@TabloSupport

This is the case for only tuning Live TV of channels where the tuner is held in use for an hour after? If you’ve recorded a show where you never watched it live, then the tuner is free right away once the recordings is stopped?

What happens if you have tuned two different channels for Live TV on the Tablo? Does the Tablo hold on to both tuners for an hour?

I say thumbnail generation take precedence over holding on to a tuner if you’re not actively watching for say 5 minutes. There is at least one tuner free for watching live TV on a dual tuner.

Quad, no problem. I can see the data stream being less than perfect causing a hiccup. In fact that caused playback problems, period. (second shortest post)

What happened? Who has taken over @ShadowsPapa account? :slight_smile:

What happened? Who has taken over @ShadowsPapa account? :)

lmao

What happened? Who has taken over @ShadowsPapa account? :)

lmao

I bet it was Shadow (believing that to be the cat)…  the cat does love the Tablo apparently…

Poor Shadow passed away 3 years ago at age 15… but we know he’s here in spirit.

This firmware release has completely screwed up my Roku support.  If any recording is going on, the Roku can’t play anything.  When anything does work, it’s far slower than before.  Completely unacceptable.  It’s unwatchable.

Mine works flawless with Roku 3. Perhaps some details on your setup would help. Unwatchable does not give much info to work with.

@dhowland

Delete the Tablo channel from your Roku, reboot it (aka power cycle), then re-install the channel.

Just in case it helps identify a possible bug with the thumbnails, here is my experience. I love the thumbnails, and sometimes they generate very quickly (last night I watched a show just a few minutes after it had recorded and was happy to see thumbnails already?,). However, once in awhile I run across a recording with no thumbnails and no good explanation. I understand there not being thumbnails if the signal from the antenna was weak or the show was recently recorded,and the tuners were busy. But I just watched a show that was recorded four days ago. The recording was perfect–no signal issues, but no thumbnails. Seems like a glitch to me, but it’s a new feature so I expect it will improve with future updates.

Mine works with Roku 3 and Roku LT.  I have the 4 tuner version, so I tuner is available most of the time for thumbnail generation.

This update fixed a problem I was having that the show would totally stop and require to go back to the menu of the show if that makes any sense. In any case fixed it and we love the preview. Please congratulate the team for a job well done. 

We’ve got the new firmware and MOST of the recordings have converted to thumbnails, but SOME have not.  Is there a way to force those recordings to convert?

Unfortunately no way to force the thumbnail creation but open a support ticket with Tablo Support so they can remote in to your Tablo and figure out why. It’s a bug that needs to be fixed.

@klein1dc according to Tablo some shows will not generate thumbnails due to glitches in the stream, but they are also working on getting that fixed

@klein1dc according to Tablo some shows will not generate thumbnails due to glitches in the stream, but they are also working on getting that fixed

We watched some shows I had recorded recently, and some recorded prior to the firmware upgrade. I noted several from both time periods didn’t have thumbnails but It didn’t matter at all in those cases - we watched them and deleted them and things worked so fast as far as FF through commercials we didn’t miss the thumbnails.
I do hope it’s fixed, but so far we’ve not missed it when they were not present.

BTW - the shows recorded perfectly - no hiccups, no jumps or missing parts, no bad images, etc - they were excellent recordings.

@ShadowsPapa I mentioned during the beta and since and was told there is something in particular recordings that causes  it, my response was the shows were very strong.

Now I notice it seems to happen when I have 4 shows that record at the same time and I mentioned that to them.