NEW Firmware Release - 2.1.24 (old thread)

I think the problem is the images for the guide on the web.  I hope (hint @TabloTV) that the new Roku app can download the schedule and all associated images during the night.

I’m not sure which problem you’re referring to. However, from what I’ve read, Roku apps/channels don’t have storage space like apps on other platforms do. (Remember the Roku platform is designed specifically for streaming media.) I expect the Roku app will have to download the necessary data every time you launch it.

The Roku 3 has a USB port and I have a thumb drive in it.  It’s used for storing stuff for the next game.  Of course for @TabloTV to use they would need to check if it is a Roku 3 and if anything is connected to the usb port.

About how long does it take for the thumbnails to get created after an hour long show has been recorded?  I was wondered how long to wait to start watching the show.  I know that it depends on a tuner being available.  Generally, I have one available since I have a 4 tuner model.

@mikesuef it depends, if all tuners are still in use, then it will be until there is a free tuner.

If there is a free tuner it should only take a few minutes or less

Ok, so last night, we recorded Revenge from 9pm - 10pm.   We started watching around 10:15.  I had no thumbnails.  So, how long does it take?  No other tuners were in use.

So, if I am recording a 2 hour program and start watching 1 hour into it, does that mean I won't have the thumbnails?  I apologize if I over looked the answers to these questions already.

I have submitted a ticket about last night's recording not having the thumbnails.

It will be interesting to hear/see their response. I rarely would ever record and then jump into watching what I have recorded just minutes later, but still, who knows, it could happen…

@wkufan92 you are correct you will not see any if it is still recording.

For first issue of no thumbnails, I have seen issues on some shows never getting thumbnails. I currently have a Ticket open. Hoping they can figure it out soon and get an update out.

Ok, so last night, we recorded Revenge from 9pm - 10pm.   We started watching around 10:15.  I had no thumbnails.  So, how long does it take?  No other tuners were in use.

So, if I am recording a 2 hour program and start watching 1 hour into it, does that mean I won't have the thumbnails?  I apologize if I over looked the answers to these questions already.

I have submitted a ticket about last night's recording not having the thumbnails.

I would think it takes at least an hour after a show ends to get thumbnails.  So that also means you won’t get any thumbnails while it is still recording.

http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/comment/15922/#Comment_15922

TabloSupport wrote: The reason why we cannot do previews on Live TV or on ‘in progress’ recordings is a product of how Tablo works and how this feature was implemented. 

Basically what occurs is that Tablo takes a final recording and then pushes it back through a tuner to create the thumbnails. 

The real question is if there is a free tuner how long after a recording is done will the thumbnails be created? It is immediate or is there a 30 min delay before it is processed?

Or is it real-time, meaning 1 hour for an hour show since they “push it back through a tuner”… or do they speed it up by doubling the speed which it is pushed through, for example. May not be saying what I really mean correctly.

Sounds like a good test scenario, theuser86.  :wink:

I just set a 30 minute show to record at 12:30.  It will finish at 1, and I will check back at 1:15, 1:30, 1:40, 1:50, and 2 PM to see when thumbnails are available.

I was surprised, but I had thumbnails available at 1:15.  

@snowcat I’m not at all surprised. I recall reading that thumbnail generation takes about 3 minutes per half hour of video. So if there was a free tuner at the time your test show ended I’d have expected to see the thumbnails within 5 minutes.

This is why I was surprised at 10:15 to not have the thumbnails for the tv show that ended recording at 10pm.

@wkufan92 pure speculation here, but could it be that your Tablo was still busy “catching up” on thumbnail generation for recordings that were made prior to updating the firmware?  I know that it took quite a long time (more than 24 hours) to chew through the hundreds of recordings that I had.

@wkufan92

Are you sure both tuners were not in use?

But for an hour show that ends at 10 pm, it generally records until 10:05 pm so maybe 10:15 is too soon?

I am sure both tuners were not in use.  I am just assuming that the recording ended at 10:05 and I must not have waited long enough for the thumbnails to generate.

@wkufan92 I think it is a bug. I have a few shows right now without thumbnails and a ticket opened about it…

@wkufan92

Does said show have thumbnails now?

If so, then a different problem than @Jestep

The new firmware rocks! No problems.  I love the thumbnails.