New Android App... bugs bugs bugs

Fast forward and Chromecast works on my phone. I have a Galaxy S5. Also Android 4.4.2

The web app does update like all other Play store apps. The player updates from within the App so Tablo can host that and get updates out faster as needed.
You said it does update - it's possible that because I had the latest already when I installed it (just days ago) that there's been no update for it to notify me of!

That makes sense - the player is part of the app, sort of within but listed as distinct then?

What app version are you running? v 1.0.1 like mine which says it's the latest? (player v 1.5.0.6)
This is the web app of course because it's a phone and a tiny screen, correct (tiny compared to a tablet as there's little tiny about the Galaxy line IMO)

You say it works but it sure doesn't for mine so I'd like to figure it out IF at all possible. There  has to be some difference somewhere!
Having started all new in the past few days it's not like I've had older versions and thus some files may be stuck in the past like can happen with Windows apps at times. 

@ShadowsPapa  it just updated last night and I am kind of anal when it comes to updating. I have it set to automatic, but I also check daily.

Tablo App still says 1.0.1 but it updated last night, so I wonder if @TabloSupport can shed some light on that??

Also Tablo Video player still says 1.5.0, no . 6 on that
it just updated last night and I am kind of anal when it comes to updating. I have it set to automatic, but I also check daily.
Tablo App still says 1.0.1 but it updated last night, so I wonder if @TabloSupport can shed some light on that??

Also Tablo Video player still says 1.5.0, no . 6 on that

Same here, after yesterdays update, no revision changes to either app (Nexus 5). Also 1.5.0 for Video Player.

wish I could snap a photo of my phone’s screen!

App info
[Tablo logo] Tablo Video Player
   Version 1.5.0.6

[force stop]               [uninstall]

(check mark)  Show Notifications

Storage
-----------------------------------------------

So on and so forth, etc. etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I JUST went to Google Play, the only option is to “open” or “uninstall” the Tablo app
In settings on the phone it’s the same as above but version 1.0.1 and it only says “Tablo” and not “Tablo Video Player”.
Play shows only the “Tablo web app” for phones, says the “Tablo” app itself isn’t compatible with my device, which makes sense, screen smaller than 7"
When I search the Google Play Store for “Tablo” it gives “Tablo Web” as the only result other than books and so on which are totally unrelated. It’s not updated since the weekend and I’m on my phone at the Google Play Store right now with my phone beside the PC keyboard as I type, checking the screen to make sure I get it right and am not telling you folks all wrong.  Verified exactly as I laid it out - nothing new at all since the weekend. 
HOWEVER when I scroll down in the Google Play description of the Tablo Web it says version 1.0.1 and that it was posted Jan 12, 2015
So, I bet the VERSION NUMBER is throwing things off!

That being said, as a guess - that mine already HAD 1.0.1 and play saying “nope, you already got this you moron” to me that it’s refusing to tell me “NEW NEW NEW! UPDATE NOW” because it thinks I AM updated!
I swear, honest, I tried manually last night, no go, I tried now, today, while typing this, no go. My only options are to UNINSTALL or OPEN.

So there’s a new one since Jan 12, 2015 but it’s STILL listed as 1.0.1 and Google Play will not let me download or update since my version from just last week was ALSO 1.0.1

I’ll blame the developer’s version control software for not insisting any change at all in code gets a new version or build number. We use a system here to track our apps development and any changes can not possibly be compiled or published with the same version and build, it forces the change on us.  
:-h

Well, it could also be how long it took to propagate thorough the google env also. I am guessing we all have the same version, but yes version needs to be updated when they push these updates.

@Jestep @ShadowsPapa

The version code (number) is the only thing that “needs” to increment for a release to be valid.

The version name (which is the display name) wasn’t updated as the release was an incremental change (providing images for live TV while Chromecasting). That said, it should have changed in the version number anyway, so we’ve looped in the developers on this for the future! 

Good eyes, folks :slight_smile:

@TabloSupport hopefully they are also working the issue of not saving or returning to the place you stopped watching…

So I assume this means I need to “keep trying” to get a later version since we have all of the issues mentioned, including the FF issue? 

I’ve two phones to update if that’s the case. 

@ShadowsPapa – the FF issue you described previously sounds like you are casting a live stream (channel) and are at the live position. You are still able to FF at that point, but you would only be able to skip ahead into what is buffered.

Keeping an eye on the play position, try playing the stream for a minute or two, then pause, and then try skipping forward and back. Also try the skip buttons while casting recordings.

If you still have this issue on the .16 version of Tablo Video Player, please contact support so we can properly address this issue.

@AdamW, maybe you missed that none of the version numbers have been updated… No one has .15 version of the player

@Jestep - gotcha.. 1.5.0 version... this is the current release. A new player is currently in testing as well... (sorry for any confusion...)
@ShadowsPapa -- the FF issue you described previously sounds like you are casting a live stream (channel) and are at the live position. You are still able to FF at that point, but you would only be able to skip ahead into what is buffered.

Keeping an eye on the play position, try playing the stream for a minute or two, then pause, and then try skipping forward and back. Also try the skip buttons while casting recordings.

If you still have this issue on the .16 version of Tablo Video Player, please contact support so we can properly address this issue.

Nope, purely recordings. We watch live TV through the live TV as it’s generally easier than opening my notebook, letting it catch up, opening the Tablo web app, connecting, syncing, choosing the HDMI3 input on the TV remote, back to my notebook, changing to the live program screen in the Tablo web, choosing a program, streaming to Chromecast, etc. etc. 

This is 100% playing recorded shows from the drive in Tablo, using the FF/30 “button” in the Tablo web app on my Phone. I watch the counter if you didn’t catch that where I stated I could watch the seconds pass by 1 at a time, the timer never jumped by 30, and the clock and counter kept the same time, etc, I watch the Tablo timer/counter and the Chromecast counter on screen and it never jumps ahead and by the time you touch FF 4 times - the 60 second commercial has run it’s normal 60 seconds, and all it does is sort of mute it, change to a still picture, and continue to count second by second. Have to keep touching or clicking the FF and by then the commercial had naturally run its course. 
Using the FF/30 multiple times to skip through 3 or 4 minutes of commercials actually takes - are you ready for this? 3 or 4 minutes! 5 minutes of skipping commercials takes 5 minutes!

It’s a real time saver if you slingshot around the sun and enter time warp… it’s not when sitting in a chair at 0 mph.

@ShadowsPapa – which recording quality setting do you have your Tablo set to? (Settings > General > Recording Quality).

Also, what phone are you using for this?

@ShadowsPapa:

For Moto X (similar for other Android phones): 

To capture your phone’s screen, press and hold both the Power and Volume down key for three seconds, or until you hear the camera shutter click.

To see the screen image, touch Apps Image > Gallery > Screenshots

Touch and hold the image for files and sharing options, which will be at the bottom of the screen.

I thought I had mentioned it before - but here it is again just in case:
Moto X phone. No worries about the Android OS version as it's 4.4.2 which is waay later than required. Everything runs fine on our phones, even my wife's games run great on our phones.

Thanks for that refresh @ChrisFix - I remembered after seeing your message that I had asked the 'droid folks a few months ago but had totally forgotten it was possible.
OK, that being said - here's what my phone says is installed:

This is the version number and so on per my phones "settings/apps" area:

If I do a search either using Chrome or Google Play, this is the exact result - one single choice and no more:

Now you see here I've chosen the Tablo web app in the Google Play area - and you see I have 2 choices since it says I already HAVE the latest - at least according to them - uninstall or open.
I don't really want to uninstall it and have to sync all over again! Nor would I open it since it won't make a lick of difference, it would sit and do nothing because the Tablo is at home and I am not....

And here you see the same version number published on Google Play as what my phone says my app already is. What's more confusing is that even the very next day, on January 13, 2015, it said "1,000+ downloads" telling me that it was released on the 12th and by the 13th there had already been over 1,000 downloads? I really doubt that. In under 24 hours all of those Tablo owners knew of this latest update and had already downloaded it?

In any case, I maintain that the FF doesn't function, I'm running a very popular phone, the raved-about in multiple reviews Moto X, I'm running more than the required OS version 4.4.2 and it's the latest app according to Google Play and my phone. 
FF doesn't. 
Recorded shows, NOT live TV as I don't yet us it for live TV, just to record and then watch the shows. Later as getting the recordings to the TV gets easier and getitng live shows to the TV gets easier we'll use it to watch live TV but we're just getting our feet wet with this and Chromecast so far. 
Recorded show, played to/through the Moto X Android 4.4.2 to Chromecast, FF/30 does little more than freeze the picture and mute the sound while pretending to go fast but the counters compared to watches and other counters prove it's not. 2 x the FF30 results in - 60 seconds passing! The same time a commercial would take to play anyway. All it's doing is letting you ignore the commercial, it still takes exactly as long to play the show. 

In short with my setup, FF/30 doesn't.

Now if someone can show why I'm wrong I'd love to see it - there are times I really prefer folks show that I'm wrong than to have to deal with the alternatives. Being wrong is easier - you admit it, move on and apply the fix. Being right is too darned hard at times like this.
Forensics and investigations are what I do for a living, aside from WAN, LAN, security and so on. I've done beta testing for years so have some experience in what to look for and how to observe and record info. I do take timestamps and counters seriously and know what to look for there.
My wife even said "why won't this thing fast forward and let me skip commercials" to which I replied "I don't know, apparently it's a bug of some sort" because it DID work on my computer in Chrome when we first got the device. 
I'd prefer to be totally crazy and that it's all some Rod Serling thing, that it does work but some rip in the fabric of space isn't letting me see reality.
(and in the end that may be true anyway.......)

@TabloSupport just got a new update to the Web App on my Galaxy S5, it still does not save where I was and return to that position…

It worked previously before this latest round of updates… So why are we waiting weeks to get it fixed???

@Jestep Does it fail on both the phone’s player, or just on Chromecast?

I was just using the Web App…

So I tried in Chrome on the Device and same thing… Also browser has no ff or rw buttons @TabloSupport
@TabloSupport just got a new update to the Web App on my Galaxy S5, it still does not save where I was and return to that position....

It worked previously before this latest round of updates.... So why are we waiting weeks to get it fixed???

Mine hasn’t done FF or saved last place on Android devices (my phones so it’s the web app) ever. It really doesn’t do well saving where I left off with Chromecast at all even on my PC with web app. 

@ShadowsPapa interesting, all my other devices save where I left off just fine. However, I am wondering if you don’t pause and exit gracefully if that is the issue with that piece.

Fast forward/rewind works great for me in the Browser on my computer, the Web App on the Phone,  and on the iPad also.