New Android App... bugs bugs bugs

I just updated the android app, using a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone.

1. While watching a movie, if I hit pause, and turn off my screen, within 10 seconds the movie starts playing again! (just audio).
2. The player now crashes. Usually after I open a video, and if I hit the FF30/REW20 buttons a few times, I can get it to crash.
3. The screen menu for fast forward and rewind does not go away when you click on the movie. It automatically goes away after 10 seconds or so, that’s different than the previous version and sort of annoying.

How can I revert to the older version?

1. It no longer saves the location where I left off watching after hitting back (can’t resume playback)

Same issues with a Nexus 5 and the new app…not cool Tablo!

Issues #1 and #2 noted above are the particularly glaring usability problems IMHO.

Same issue here

I’m still on v1.0.0 of the web app and 1.0.1 of the player.  I will pull the APKs and share with those who want.

Hit me up with a PM if you would like the link.

I’m not going to update but can someone shoot an email to tablosupport as this sounds like a critical bug that needs priority.

@TabloSupport do you need a ticket on this or are you watching??

@Max We’re making changes now and are testing. Our QA and Android devs have been all over this today, and we haven’t been able to reproduce issues 1 or 2 yet.

We’ve already put in a fix for #3, and we’re going to continue testing to see if we can get this behaviour to crop up here before we push out an update.

@TabloSupport I can reproduce 1 and 2 crashes right after that for me…

I also have a Galaxy S5

@Jestep Interesting! We saw something similar a while back with some Samsung devices. There’s a clue. We’ll look into it.

@TabloSupport, send me a fix and I can test :wink:

@TabloSupport, don’t you have beta testers to iron out all these issues before general update release ?
Maybe you need a new group of beta testers who are not sleeping on their jobs !! This is painful to watch … and I am still on firmware 2.1.16 and old web app for fear of update making things worst

@TabloSupport thanks, what about #4? The lost resume playback?

@lowbee, ouch, I did not see these issues during testing. Beta testing never gets ALL issues. I did not specifically start watching pause and turn off the screen to see this type of issue. Plus, my testing resume worked. And I did not have crashes. Join the beta team 

@Max #4 I can reproduce too

@jestep, oops sorry…let me modify my statement to say “Maybe Tablo need more beta testers” to get a better sample size so they can catch more of these issues before general release

@lowbee lol. I agree with that for sure. Especially with Android as there are many flavors. But, some of these are very specific bugs. Some are not, but like I said, I did not see during testing.

Not sure what changed between test and release.

I also think the beta period should be a bit longer @TabloSupport

@lowbee We’ve got great beta testers, and a great QA team. The issue, specifically with Android, is that the platform is so fragmented it can create limitless test cases. 

In this case (at least from what I can tell) @Max and @Jestep are both able to reproduce all of these issues on a GS5. So far, we’ve managed to reproduce issues #2 and #3 and fixes are pending. #1 & #4 are on the radar, and we’re going to continue testing them.

Amen, TabloSupport, Amen. There’s a great article out there somewhere that talks of the user base for Android, the sheer installed numbers - and the sheer numbers of differences!
Even with a PC the possible combinations of applications, browsers, service packs, security updates, hardware platforms, BIOS versions, what else is running at the time, and so on, wow, it’s crazy. For many many years I was a major beta tester for Symantec, I dealt with everything from their backup products to the security products, pcAnywhere and so on. I tested almost anything that came along. I did everything they wanted as far as their “scripted tests” meaning do what they wrote on paper, but me being me I always tried hard to break things and acted more like a silly consumer who never reads the books or instructions. Their scripts said “always uninstall older beta first”, not me - is a consumer going to do that? Heck no. They will leave the book in the shrink wrap. I found more bugs than most others as I not only thought outside the box, I have always wondered what box? There’s a box somewhere? Why didn’t anyone ever tell me about this box we’re supposed to think inside of to be normal?
Then for a while I worked with one of their head engineers and was testing alpha code - besides the developers inside, I was the only other person to see the code and test it. I found things they never knew existed and one fix was named after the company I worked for at the time. Still, no one, no team can cover all possible scenarios and with Android, it’s far worse. Each cell carrier customizes the system to their needs or desires - account for THAT. I’ve got a MotoX and yet the software running on it is lacking what most Motorola people say is absolutely on all X phones - not through our cell carrier - they removed that to make room for their stuff. So - how will Tablo account for that? More testers trying hard to break it - use things others won’t even think of, try hard to break it and do things they say not to do just to see what happens… 

At least that’s how I tested before I ran out of time to keep testing all those products.

Android differences indeed.  I assume playing back a recorded show is the same as playing back a recorded movie, in that both are recorded OTA.  I have no movies.  I was reluctant to update, given the issues, but did anyway.  I opened a recorded show, and #1,2,3 are NOT a problem on a Nexus 5 running Lollipop.  However #4 does verify; forgets where I left off watching.

Android differences indeed.  I assume playing back a recorded show is the same as playing back a recorded movie, in that both are recorded OTA.  I have no movies.  I was reluctant to update, given the issues, but did anyway.  I opened a recorded show, and #1,2,3 are NOT a problem on a Nexus 5 running Lollipop.  However #4 does verify; forgets where I left off watching.

I experienced both issue 1, recording refusing to stay paused, and issue 2, app crashed, in the first minutes of using the new app on my Nexus 5 running 5.0.1…so they ARE a problem on Nexus 5, at least some of the time.