New Android App... bugs bugs bugs

So with Chromecast how does one exit gracefully? It’s a bit confusing as Chromecast wants control of things and if you stop casting, it’s sort of like crashing or pulling the plug on the Tablo stream.

I can’t figure out how to teach my wife to watch her recordings as Tablo starts playing INSTANTLY on the web app even if you aren’t connected to the Chromecast device or aren’t “casting” yet, then when you start the connection to your Chromecast device the show is already 2 or 3 or more minutes into the show as Tablo starts playing immediately upon opening and won’t wait for a connection to the Chrome cast. If I connect to the Chromecast first, well then it’s harder to get Tablo to play. It’s sort of not synced, it’s like they are riding Chromecast but can’t directly speak to it - they don’t have any control over each other if that makes sense so I’ve never found a simple way to play things back that was explainable to her, and so that it would allow us to pause a play and go back to it later. 
(remember, I have no supported devices, only the two phones running the Android web-app and my notebook with the web-app. Will try experimenting more tonight later, I hope)

FF only works on my PC - not on the phone. Since we use the phones mostly instead of messing with a big notebook and Windows and Chrome, etc. - it means we don’t have any FF functionality which is very irritating - so things with a lot of ads I still use the DVD recorder.  

@ShadowsPapa ahh, I am not doing chrome cast much other than to do some testing and playing around. That is a good question. 

My wife, surprisingly watches on her laptop or Roku sometimes when my 6 year old is helping her LOL. Shhhh, don’t tell her I told you. She is technically challenged, but the kids are not :wink:

What phone do you have? FF works for me in the Web App, I am assuming you are talking recording and not Live TV? I did just try Live TV and FF/RW works…

I am on a Galaxy S5

Phone Moto X, Android 4.4.2 Web app. Still do live tv through the TV and not Tablo - so far, that may change. Yes, talking recorded shows. 

I’ve admittedly not done as much as some Tablo users have but try to do basic testing as an ex-beta tester for other companies. 

I’ll never forget when I bought a new PC for my sons and it had a new OS - the then latest Windows version. It was so radically different from their old PC that at their age I just KNEW there’d be lots of questions. Uh, no. At ages 6 and 7 they blew my mind with what they just “knew”. I suspect part of it was “no fear” of the unknown, and the childhood curiosity we usually seem to lose with age. 

I’m going to try to do more testing and using later tonight and try to check playing recorded shows again then.

New to tablo still learning and reading…Samsung Note 3 will not show a symbol to play live tv like Samsung tablet will…  only record shows off live tv button…,.Am I missing something?? Thanks

Touch/click the station or channel and not the show. In that respect it’s like a real live TV - you turn to the channel to view a show, you don’t tune to the show. 

They did that to save real estate on the phone’s smaller screen - unlike a Tablet with more room for fingers.
Try clicking the station or channel to the left and not the show itself to watch live TV via phone.

That works thanks for the info…This is a great forum

@TabloTV @TabloSupport

Just got a new version still will NOT save the place I stop watching … This is over a month and a half old bug. Any chance of getting this fixed???

@Jestep We tested this before releasing (obviously) and it seemed to be working fine… Can you try reproducing with a new recording?

@ShadowsPapa is the resume feature working for you via Chromecast?

@TabloSupport I did today… It will resume if say I watch on my PC and it keeps the saved place. However, when I watch on my phone (Galaxy S5) it will not save the place I stop watching.

I played around with the newest Android web app and my PC browser.  Here is what I noticed.

1. If you pause on the phone, exit the show, and go back in (whether you close the Tablo app or not), it resumes where it left off.

2. If you playback on one device (phone or PC), pause, but do not close that show, the other device will not know that spot.

3. If you playback on one device (phone or PC), pause, exit the show, then the other device will resume where it was paused.  Closing the Tablo app or browser is not needed (though it still works if you do).

@snowcat 

your #1 does not work for me at all

your # 2, yep

your # 3 works on every device except the phone. If I watch on the phone and exit the show the PC will still start where I originally stopped the show on the PC the phone is not saving where it left off

Just a FYI, I went in again just to try once more. Tried to exit back out every which way I can and it still does not work right on the phone. 

But, like I said, where I left off on the PC it starts on the phone. But whatever I tried it never saves where I stop on the phone.

I did a little more on #1 and it was quite interesting.  For a 30 minute show (35 minutes of actual recording time), if I pause it in the first 27 minutes, it resumes just fine.  But if it is in the last 8 minutes, it goes back to the beginning each time.

For a 1 hour show, once I went past 55 minutes, it reset to the beginning.
For a 2 hour show, once I went past 55 minutes, it reset to the beginning.

@snowcat, I think that is standard. That is the way it works on my other devices, I think the assumption is if you have watched that much of it you must be done. Maybe that is wrong, but I think that is how they programmed it

Looking into it, folks!

The 2 hour show is the worst though.  54:59 into the show, it will resume.  Once it hits 55:00, it resets to the beginning (trying to resume after a pause).

I am ok if it goes to the final minute, but this is definitely a bug.

Yea I noticed a couple of times when I wanted to see the previews of the next week, I exited out came back in and it was at the beginning :confused:

@snowcat Is the 2 hour airing a special event that could have been extended for an extra hour? Or is it a ‘regular’ airing typically scheduled for 2 hours?

It was Galavant.  It’s in a two hour timeslot (and that was how it was recorded), but it also is technically two separate episodes.  

I also had an hour and a half show recorded, and it started going back to the beginning at the 1 hour, 23 minute mark.

I had two other normal 2 hour shows, and it would go back at the 1 hour 49 minute mark on each one.  So maybe the guide data for Galavant confused the Tablo.