New Android App... bugs bugs bugs

Thanks @TabloSupport awesome update. Minor issue, Lock Screen 30 sec jump is 3 seconds. 20 back works great.

@ChrisWilkes @TabloChris @oldmike

Thanks for all the reports, guys! These kinds of condensed posts help us move things along quicker. Stay tuned.

@TabloSupport saw the update at lunch with a friend who just purchased a Tablo :wink:

1,2 fixed…

3, not really an issue as you can make it go away by touching the screen

4. Still an issue, not saving where left off…

A big “duh” on me.  When I tested I had not yet received the new app.  Now I have, and concur that 1,2,3 are not an issue, #4 is.

Confirmed, 1,2,3 are fixed. Thanks @TabloSupport

It still say version 1.0.1 on Google Play updated on Jan 5, did Tablo push a new version to Google play today ?

@lowbee, when you run the app it asks you to update the player

@Jestep, Ah OK, it’s the video player and not the Web App that got updated…now I understand…so is the latest version number of the player 1.0.3 ?

@Jestep, Ah OK, it's the video player and not the Web App that got updated....now I understand....so is the latest version number of the player 1.0.3 ?

Actually I show it as 1.5.0 and tablo app is 1.0.1

Just a FYI @TabloSupport I also was testing chromecast from the web app. Other than buffering about 40 seconds in and very slow ff and rw seems to be good.

Spoke too soon, hung for a second or two almost 10 minutes in, 20 minutes in

I should say I am set to 720p not the 720p chromecast

Also, when I stop casting, even though the web app stops the big Tablo logo stays on Chromecast and does not go away. If I do the same from the browser, when I stop casting the home screen comes back to Chromecast

@Jestep - the Chromecast receiver app remains active even after playback has stopped as long as you are connected to the Chromecast. It will eventually time-out and disconnect. It remains active as you are still able to choose other recordings or live tv from the app to cast.

If you are experiencing a lot of buffering, I would suggest trying a recording or two with the 720p/Chromecast/Roku quaility setting. If those playback without too much buffering, it is likely a bandwidth issue. Contact support@tablotv.com if you are having issues.

We have recently pushed a couple of quick updates to the Tablo Video Player app to address the concerns from this thread directly. There will soon be an additional update for the play position issues.

@AdamW I had disconnected via the Tablo Web App… So it should have disconnected. Oh and closed the app

I was only testing, Chromecast is not my streaming player of choice :wink:

{Posted in another area but that can be deleted to keep things clean.)

I searched  butwas not able to find anything on this issue. If it’s been discussed elsewhere, sorry, it didn’t show up in any search results.
Two issues I found this weekend:

Issue 1 - FF doesn’t: 
Using Android app on phone to watch a recording via Chromecast in TV, I notice that touching the FF does nothing but pause the picture and cause silence but it doesn’t actually fast forward. For example if there’s a 30 second commercial and you touch the FF/30 and it responds, it comes back on again in the middle of the 30 second commercial. Touching that, waiting a few seconds and touching it again, you are still in that 30 second commercial.
Is that a bug in the Android app? I don’t recall it acting that way in the browser-based app under Chrome. FF there did skip a 30 second commercial and in fact if you hesitated before clicking the FF you’d land into the show again but on the Android app on a phone, it never really skipped ahead, it simply froze the image and sound and dropped you back into the recording just a few seconds later because the timer kept ticking away second by second. The already played vs. remaining minutes/seconds did not increment up 30 seconds like it does in the Chrome browser.

Issue 2:  jumps to beginning, doesn’t remember where you paused or left off in Chromecast
Also note that if there’s an issue with Chromecast or you need to stop and start something or it buffers endlessly (not just moments but for endless periods) that when you come back into the Chromecast it’s started the show all over from the beginning. If you start playing a recording and cast to Chromecast, then end the cast, the show starts playing on your device from the beginning. It’s like it’s doing two different things, playing once on the device and once in the Chromecast and the two don’t tie together. 
When I go to watch a recorded show, I either have to start the show then cast to Chromecast or start Chromecast then start the show, but if I break the connection to Chromecast i find the two aren’t tied together. I can’t pause and resume where I left off. I can’t pause a show, stop chromecast, then later go back as it starts playing at the beginning again. 
Hope that makes sense! It works a lot better on a PC with Chrome than the Android app does in my “testing” while we tried to watch two shows so I could swap hard drives. 

In response to Jestep - 
Unless that fix was issued on 1-10-15 or later, I have the latest of everything and let things update.
The phone being used had the app installed over the weekend so I assume that’s current. The Tablo itself updated to the most recent release when I plugged it in a week ago. That’s current as of a week ago. 

My device is roughly a week old. Everything has been installed since then so not sure of what “latest” means without a date or version number. 
Does that help any?

(I thought that what I had WAS the latest but that may be a mistake - if there was something in the last few days. Jestep mentioned that the first was fixed, I got my Tablo just days ago and downloaded the android app to my Moto X after that so it’s pretty current - I think?!?)

You can delete this to keep things clean:

Nevermind

@Max

Never mind? As in all your bugs are fixed now?

@theuser86, nevermind as I didn’t notice the previous comment was referring to a bug in Chromecast, and there’s no delete feature on the forum.

Fast forward and Chromecast works on my phone. I have a Galaxy S5. Also Android 4.4.2

The web app does update like all other Play store apps. The player updates from within the App so Tablo can host that and get updates out faster as needed.

Well, there is an update on the Play store, but it still did not fix the original issue #4 @TabloSupport

Does not start at where you left off still

Mine downloaded over the weekend as far as the phone app - so it was using the latest as of Saturday this past weekend. 

Does the app not auto-update or alert to updates like the other phone apps I run do? Pretty much every app on my phone knows when there’s a newer version and it tells me that what app needs to be updated, etc.

I’d say for me it did NOT fix the FF issue. 

I will try to see what versions I have - if I can recall how to check Android phone app versions that is…
\

OKI just checked and the “app” running on my phone is 1.0.1 and is the latest according to Google Play. It says it’s a web app because my phone screen is not 7" or larger would be my guess and it it were that large I’d have a bit of trouble getting it into my pocket I suspect so my guess is my phone won’t qualify for the “app” other than “web app”.

…then I find it’s also got Tablo video player - not sure but that must be some piece that plays videos on the phone? What is the Tablo video player since that is listed distinctly from the Tablo app I described above?
The video player is v 1.5.0.6 and pretty small as far as apps go…

Regardless, FAST FORWARD still does not work correctly with our phones and the Chromecast is out of whack, too. 

Android version 4.4.2 running on a Moto X platform.