Introducing: Plex Channel for TabloTV

Thanks for all your hard work. Is there a donations page set up yet for the continued development of this channel? $-)

I would also love to test the Plex channel.  I am deciding between keeping a Roku 3 or an Amazon FireTV and only have a week left to decide so I can still return one.  The Plex channel sounds like the best way to use TabloTV on the FireTV, so I would really love to try it out.

Thanks for all your work!

** A quick note about Plex Sync *****

I spent many hours trying to get it to work so we would have the ability to download shows for offline viewing, but after all that work I found that Plex Sync does not work because of bugs inside of plex itself, I’ll let everyone know if that changes. 

After discussing with Dave we are happy to push this out to Beta for everyone.  All information, for now, can be found at the following:

TabloTV Plex Channel Plugin FIRST PUBLIC BETA:

Once plex has added our channel to the plex channel store, public stable releases will be made available via the plex plugin store.  Beta loads, and testing efforts will come from the github.

*** A note to all that have offered to beta test: We still would like your help in beta testing, improving, etc.  However we will now be doing that from the github rather than the google code site I sent to you via email the other day.  I will add all of you to the github to get going.

@TabloTV - Can you please add this post to the OP on this thread?  I went to edit it and I can no longer do so.

You bet - sorry @PiX64!

sweet action.  Thank you!

No, thank you & @DavidVR. We salute you for your coding awesomeness.

. . . .

There’s nothing that Tuesday morning needs more than an animated dog dancing in a banana costume. Thank you :))

(The link above links back to the post, not Github)

Installed the channel on the Plex server.

Tested using Plex from a laptop, Android phone (Note 2), and from a Popcorn Hour.

Load times are not the greatest but more than acceptable - I am guessing because this is implemented as a channel.

Found a glitch where after exiting the channel on the Note 2, going back in gives a message that the directory is empty. 

The display of recorded shows doesn't indicate the date - it does list the episode name, but that doesn't help when looking at a recording of something like The Today Show. No way of easily telling which day the recording is from.

Playback of existing records is perfect, no issues on any of the devices.

Unable to use LiveTV from any of the devices. It displays a spinning circle and never displays the feed.

Overall - since this is primarily for playing back recorded shows - this is a huge win!

@mtuckman - woops

GitHub - TabloTV Plex Channel

** Load times from our tests have been on par with some of the other clients.  LiveTV works on all platforms we have tested, but we have not tested the Note 2.

** Glitch - odd.  I haven’t seen that before.  If you could pm me or send me an email if you have my email with the plugin log, I will take a look and see whats happening.
Plex Log Location

** AFA the Date goes - That should be displayed in the “Original AirDate Metadata Field”.  I konw when i was recently reqriting the LiveTV tile of the channel, I was having some issues getting it to display correctly.  This is the same issue across recordings and TVShows -(Recordings organized by series name and season).  *** This will be fixed.

LiveTV - Please restart the plex server, and try live tv again.  LiveTV will take about 10-15 seconds ish to come back.  The issue here is that we are hitting a custom API on the tablo device, and the concatenation of data across mutliple tables can sometimes cause longer responses times to the caller.  Once the Tile is loaded, tuning will take the normal 8 - 10 seconds we see on Roku and most other Tablo Clients.

@pix64 @davidvr
Maybe at this point this should be a different thread, but after just quickly looking at a handful of my devices in a completely haphazard way, here are initial impressions.  I was more busy last night tearing out all my DirecTV boxes than really testing.

Plex served by Powerspec N107 Intel® Celeron® Processor G1610 with 8GB composed of 2- 4096MB DDR3/1333 DIMM
ASUS RT-N56U router
Tablo connected to router via powerline.  All ethernet capable devices connected to powerline as well.

Roku 3 Appears to work as expected for Live and Recorded TV
Roku 2XS Appears to work as expected for Live and Recorded TV
Roku XDS Live TV crashes back to menu.  Appears to play recorded shows.
Chromebook (Chrome Browser) Appears to work as expected for Live and Recorded TV
Sony NSZ-GT1 Works for live TV and recorded playback, but is extremely pixilated and blocky.  Not watchable.  Need to investigate further in settings
Nokia 1520 running WP 8.1 Beta.  Recorded TV fails to play.  Live TV very pixilated and blocky.  LTE testing only.  No wifi yet.
iPad 3 Appears to work as expected for Live and Recorded TV
Kindle Fire TV Appears to work as expected for Live and Recorded TV
Kindle Fire HD (Previous Generation) Appears to work as expected for Live and Recorded TV
Surface RT Untested
Ipad Mini Untested
Ipad Mini Retina Untested
Chrome Stick Untested
Roku MHL Streaming Stick Untested
Azpen A701 7" Android Tablet Untested

Interesting observation.  When I reset my Tablo I lost the ability to see my previous recordings on hard drive with the native Tablo apps and web app. (Known issue).  The Plex channel still saw all of these older recordings though, and they can be accessed.  Now if only I could delete them and save myself a drive reformat ;)

Can someone put up a video of something like Plex client on IOS casting to a Chromecast from PMS?  I’m interested in the look and speed.  

Also, sorry if I missed this, but does the content support MyPlex streaming to remote devices?  Will I be able to watch live TV on my iPad when I’m outside the house?

Also, this is my first post.  I’m a Sage user looking for alternatives.  I also have Plex.  I’ve been waiting for an OTA solution that’s as good as Sage.  Hoping this might be it.

@sbrooke  I don’t use Chromecast.  However, I am able to stream through Plex channel to my iPhone when outside of the house.  I can stream both Live TV and recorded shows.  There is a bit of a delay before it starts (15 seconds or so) but after that, it streams very well.

@sbrooke

Yes you can chromecast from the plex app on ios

Yes you can stream to remote players (under your myplex account) If you have other users on your plex server they will not be able to see it plex channels are not sharable

Hope that helps

@sbrooke I too was a long time sage server and have found Tablo to be excellent. Pm me with any questions or of course post here. Yes u can access Tablo recordings and LiveTV from outside of the home without having to sync… Just need the Plex channel plugin installed and working on your server. Keep in mind this is the first public beta so if u find something wonky please let’s us know ASAP.

@DavidVR and @PiX64 - What the HECK!?!? This is AWESOME!?!?!  :D

I just watched live TV on my iPhone using Plex!!!! 

This pretty much sums up how I feel!

I wish I was good with Python cause I'd like to help you guys. Let me know if there is some other way I can help.  

I installed but when I select a channel or recorded show via Plex web application, for everything I try I get:

This channel is not responding.

And via Android PlexServer app I see:

“An error occurred while attempting to navigate to the selected item  It appears that the associated server is no longer accessible”.

And the Android App and Web App are able to show.

Let me know if there is any details that would be useful.

Thanks!

To clarify, the Android Tablo App and Tablo Web App are able to show.  (So Tablo apps work, Plex does not)