Introducing: Plex Channel for TabloTV

First of all, I want to say thanks a lot for this app.  It’s working well with Plex and Tablo combined with this app is a much better live TV solution for me than my previous (HDHomerun Dual with HDSurfer app).

I like how the Live TV section displays the current show but I really wish it showed the channel as well (or the show that was about to air).  Is that possible?  We don’t watch lots of live TV so sometimes when we want to put on a channel that’s about to come on, we can’t tell which channel to go to until it’s actually showing.
First of all, I want to say thanks a lot for this app.  It's working well with Plex and Tablo combined with this app is a much better live TV solution for me than my previous (HDHomerun Dual with HDSurfer app).
I like how the Live TV section displays the current show but I really wish it showed the channel as well (or the show that was about to air).  Is that possible?  We don't watch lots of live TV so sometimes when we want to put on a channel that's about to come on, we can't tell which channel to go to until it's actually showing.

Just to clarify, this is while viewing on an Apple TV via PlexConnect so I’m not certain if this is configurable via the app or not but wanted to check.

don’t know if this is related to the problems mentioned above, but recently I’ve had problems with all of my recordings older than about a week ago.  Whenever i try to access them, i get the “M3U8: crossdomain access denied” error.  They show up fine on tablo.  Thanks for putting this channel together, its been great up until this point.

Nope - I have noticed this on windows PMS as well.  Linux and Mac PMS installs appear to work fine for me when it comes to live tv playback, but windows is just off a bit.

I have seen this many times actually in doing other dev for plex.  Python under windows is more finicky than other oses.

Slight update, i finally had 2 episodes of parks and rec show up in the released app…still 3 other shows not showing up. 

R u running PMS for Windows?

R u running PMS for Windows?

Yes

ok then refer to my previous comment.  Goofy crap like this happens with PMS running under windows.

I am trying to hunt down the variances between python run on windows and python run under linux/macos but Im sorta dead in the water until i get back to a stable environment.

Will keep you posted.

Can someone tell me what the native streaming format is for the Tablo?  I’ve found using Plex to add DLNA support to Tablo really great - but I’d like to avoid transcoding if possible.  My intent is to edit the Plex DLNA profiles and adjust the target transcoding format to match the native Tablo format and see if my players can handle it.   As a rule, they play everything my Twonky DLNA server throws at them - and Twonky doesn’t transcode - so I thought it might be worth a shot.  Am I being naive?   

Mike
Can someone tell me what the native streaming format is for the Tablo?

@MikeNE It uses HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) with H.264. H.264 is pretty much universally supported these days, but some clients may only support H.264 when other containers, e.g. MP4/M4V or MKV, are used. The quality setting your Tablo is set to can also make a difference. Some clients, including Roku, don’t handle high bitrate HD video very well.

Have you found your Plex server to be transcoding videos played from Tablo?

@MikeNE I’ve never noticed Plex transcoding DLNA stream’s before at least not to the devices I use it on, but there are definition files inside of plex that tell it what the DLNA device supports and if the tablo stream does not meet those requirements it will transcode to a supported format, that could be as simple as just changing the container as @Joltarin mentioned from ts to mp4 or more intense if for instance the device profile in plex says the device only supports MP2 video for example. 

Ah - good info.  Thanks guys.  I’m pretty positive PLEX is transcoding my DLNA Tablo streams - because watching Tablo pegs my CPU, and I get a lot of pauses/buffering.   I’ve done a good amount of successful debugging/editing Plex profiles to avoid transcoding my own library over DLNA, but I haven’t started messing with the Tablo stream, and not really sure how to do it yet.   My assumption was that I would add the Tablo as a direct play profile or change the transcode target to match the native Tablo stream.  My intent was to hunt and peck for a while to see if I could figure it out.   Given your responses above, it sounds like I was on the right track. 

I have two Sony SMP-N200 streamers (which seem to handle a huge number of formats flawlessly), a Sony 5100 Blu-ray player and an LG TV that supports Plex/DLNA (but that one is a separate beast I’ll get to in a minute).  I also have Rokus, but no issues there because I’m using the Tablo app.   Whenever I fire up a stream with the Sonys, it sucks CPU on my Plex servers like crazy.  I have 2 Linux servers - one is an old laptop, and another a nanoPC. Neither are powerhouses because I didn’t intend to do transcoding.

The LG Smart TV (2013 model) is a head scratcher.  My Plex server shows up in the input list as a Plex Media Server (even without a Plex app) - NOT a DLNA server.  When I access the server with my TV, the TV shows up in the Plex Media Server log file, NOT the Plex DLNA Server log file.   It seems to be calling it an ‘LGTV’, although I don’t know what profile it is using or if it is.   Either way, it doesn’t see the Tablo channel/stream AT ALL.  It plays all my media fine, and the TV even played my media fine when I was using Twonky - and the TV DID recognize Twonky as a DLNA server.   I’d love to force the TV to see Plex as a DLNA server, but I haven’t figured out how to do that.

Thanks a bunch for the help and pointers though!
Mike

@MikeNE is your LG a webOS tv? 

I actually don’t know what OS the LG is running.   Can you tell me how to check?

Mike

@MikeNE WebOS has a bar at the bottom can you should have a web browser, mine came with the magic remote which is cool because I can just pull up my plex webpage or my.tablotv.com in the browser. 

@Davidvr,  any chance of getting multiple Tablos working separate? As of now this version is useless without that working for me. I can’t tell which show belongs to which Tablo and I can’t go through hundreds of shows.

FYI, I have had to tweak the Plex DLNA profiles on plex server to have my Samsung SmartTV play video formats through native “videos” app that are supported by the TV but that the Plex out of the box profiles did not properly stream.  Had to google that one to get the magic recipe. This may be the case for you, or not.  The Plex log files can help you out there as well, this is how I found out what profile was being used and which file to edit.

@Jestep I’ve been short on time of late, but I plan on working that out better. 

@Davidvr thanks

@Davidvr - Thanks for working with me on this.   So the interface on my LG looks like this -> http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/000027eea/a0ed_orh348w620/LG55LA740VFrontDone.jpg

I’m assuming this means it’s not WebOS based on pics I’ve seen of the newer sets.   Does that tell us anything about where to look for a profile or what my next step should be in my debugging process?

Thanks!
Mike