Introduce Yourself

…kind of important, until you get your tablo device :wink:

disclaimer

your purchases are wonderfully important! but generally we’re about tablo’s either how to get the most out of them, get them working… or a few, why they are so (allegedly) bad.

Hello all,
I’m new to this support community but have had my 4-tuner Tablo now for 1.5 years. Love it. My name is Lundy and I live in the midwest of the U.S.A.

I’m new to the Tablo scene in Phoenix, been with DirecTV since '93. I’m going to cancel them in a month after this device proves itself. I have an extensive electronics, computer hardware and programming background as well as micro controllers. Ham radio operator and just general geek.

Why am I dropping DTV after soo many years, well AT&T of course.

ATT’s investors are asking them to dump DTV. It’s sort of weird, U-verse TV which did a lot btw to create IPTV as a whole, well ATT dumped that (which allowed for multiple streams, picture-in-picture, etc.) for old school satellite after their acquistiion of DTV and ATT promised to move all of their U-verse customers over to the “better” platform. Essentially, they put in all on the line for DTV (which was bad tech to begin with) and now to hear their investors pushing for them to toss it… well, it’s just humorous.

(from a former ATT Manager)

Is everyone familiar with the Andy Griffin Show and the episode Stranger in Town? About a man not from Mayberry but took the newspaper to find out about the town. Reading about them, studying them and then arriving there because he wanted to be among them.

Same for me, I was on here for years before buying a Tablo. Reading the comments and trying to find out if this would be right for me. I finally bought one a couple of months ago and have very happy with it.

You’re among friends… or support group :neutral_face:

Florida Guy, TheMadPirate or just Gary. Hi New to Tablo from the Dead Roku/AirTv World. What a Great Upgrade I made. I have the Tablo for Nvidia Shield and let me say besides Great this device gets a whole new level of Hot! Getting a USB fan to pamper it and read it can handle 230 degrees. I’m impressed with this little USB device Perfect!

I am new to the forum and live in Ontario Canada. Cutting the cord with my current provider next May 2021 when my contract ends. Can’t wait. Will buy the Tablo Quad with 1 TB hard drive and use an Amazon Firestick for streaming. Will use a Channel Master 4228 antenna.

In the meantime I will read through the forum for tips etc.

Bill

Welcome. If you haven’t already purchased the Fire TV Stick, wait a few months, supposedly there is a new Fire TV Stick 4K coming out soon.

Welcome. If you’re able, you might consider getting your new configuration in place a bit before your current provider agreement expires so you have time to set up recordings and get started building a buffer of programming to watch at your leisure. I did that when I started and found I stopped using my cable box for the most part- it gave me confidence that I had made the right decision.

Thanks for the welcome and for the suggestion. My son in law just hooked up a new Tablo with a cheap $5 antenna and recorded shows yesterday. He has the same service provider as I do and it worked fine. I will probably do the same and run the services together before cutting the cord. Thanks again,
Bill

Just bought a Firestick 4K 1TB on Monday as it went on sale at Amazon.ca for $44.99 a good discount from $69.99. Oh well…

Bill

Not really where you want to cut cost… even if you seems to work.

The $5 antenna was a test to see if minimal equipment could pickup OTA channels. When he cuts the cord he will go with an antenna on a mast.

Bill

1 Like

Return the 4K Stick if you don’t have a 4K TV (it is from 2018). Get the new 2020 Fire TV Stick for $34.99 CAD or the new 2020 Fire TV Stick Lite for $29.99 CAD. They both have the same internal hardware was the Fire TV Stick 4K. See below.

https://www.amazon.ca/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B07ZZW1B86/

https://www.amazon.ca/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B07ZZW18N6/

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on the new Firestick. My TV is a Samsung Smart TV Series 6, 4K colour, 4K HDPRO4K. Will the new Firesticks work better with this TV?

Bill

Without actually looking it up, sounds like your TV is 4K so just keep the 4K Fire TV Stick. The new 2020 FTV Sticks do not output 4K video.

Thanks for your help on this as I am here for precisely that type of input.

I also want to know what type of router is best for streaming when I cut the cord.

Bill

Maybe start your own thread on that topic? There are lots of people who will chime in with recommendations and help.

Good idea. Perhaps I will do that.

Bill