Antop Antennas!

This video says it all. As much as I already appreciate Antop product, this really drives it home.

1 Like

It’s not always about the size of an antenna. The DB8e and CM 4228 are huge. However their signal capture area (the rods) actually present a smaller capture window than the Antop (I measured and calculated them all).

Probably the most efficient antenna for its size was the old Radio Shack double bowtie and yet it was small. It was used as the receiving area in the most powerful public antenna (CM 4251). The RS antenna was the first one I tried in my attic when HDTV was starting to be broadcast and to my surprise it got several channels (without preamp at 33 miles). $2.98 if you could find one because RS discontinued it - I drove to three RS stores and this guy had two of them in the back in his storeroom. He was surprise to see someone asking for them until I told him that HDTV was OTA only at that time (cable was not doing it yet). RS had discontinued them because in those years everyone was going cable LOL. My how times have changed…what was, comes back…

See what HDTVprimer says about the RS (and this guy is one of the acknowledged experts on antenna design and simulation):

“When I decided to simulate this antenna, all I had was this photo of it. So I assumed it was 16 inches wide, like the 4221, and I scaled all of its dimensions accordingly. The simulation results were fantastic. It blew away every other indoor antenna. It even rivaled some outdoor antennas.”

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/DoubleBow.html

So size may be misleading… In fact a 4 bay sometimes outperforms an 8 bay (as shown in the test). I made a 6 bay and it outperformed my 8 bay 4228. As MClapp shows (another good source for antenna design and build), a properly designed and made 4 bay (to account for only channels 14 to 51) will outperform a bigger 8 bay.

This guy has the plans for making a RS knockoff and has very good results (read the comments of people who made it):

I would extend his size by two inches (as HDTVprimer mentions) to account for the repack.

So yes, the Antop while smaller, intrigued me as why it is so efficient in OTA reception. I started looking at its internal elements and signal capture design. It first got my attention 6 years ago when somebody mentioned it on another forum saying that it rivaled a big 8 bay antenna he had. No one believed him at that time.

The funny thing was that the original Radio Shack Double Bowtie was a hot discusion item at AVS Forum when HDTV first came out on OTA. Someone had found a way to make it more powerful by modifying its ribbon out to transformer. That’s why it was the first antenna I tried. And was thrilled to get a basketball game in HD that day for my first test.

2 Likes

Leave it to Radio Shack! Though I’d never seen nor heard of that antenna, it makes sense to me that they’d sell those (and that they’re branded antenna was a good one). The fundamentals of that antenna are strong and sensible and the knock-off is ingenious. Great reading.

1 Like

The RS Double Bowtie was a legend in its time (decades ago). I had to drive around to store after store to get one. When the guy told me he had two in the back, I snapped both of them up that day!

Does anybody remember whether Mayberry had a television station? Perhaps the TV station was in Mount Pilot (or the big city Raleigh). Did Andy have a TV in his house? Opie spent most of his time playing outside…

It would have been Mount Pilot. Andy didn’t have a TV in his house, nor did Helen, Velma Lou or Ernest T. Bass. But if you did have a TV, you could take it to Emmett’s Fix-It shop if you ever needed repairs.

Oh no…did you just say that? It’s Thelma Lou. Poor Thel, not well remembered. Betty Lynn moved to Mount Airy NC after the show ended (it was Andy Griffith’s town where he grew up after which Mayberry is modeled).

Wouldn’t Ernest T. just throw a rock through the TV?

1 Like

You’re that guy that get 20/20 on the Me-TV quizzes!! a select few… to stay “on off-topic”

2 Likes

That is fantastic, what a great website! I have enjoyed ME TV, did not know they were this serious about what they were doing, had no idea they were this polished. Bookmarked!

If you still use email… somewhere you sign up for a newsletter. Some of the quizzes are too temping not to take a shot!! When they overhauled the site a couple years ago, some complaints - it’s too “fancy”. Considering their demographic, yea, they should have kept it simple - like their comedy shows :laughing:

struggling to get back on topic - Antop antennas are probably great for tuning in Me-TV !!

The Marathon is the same antenna as the Antop. It won in this comparison test with several other types (even from the basement and foresty area). The Marathon and Antop are designed and manufactured by the same company but marketed under different brand names.

1 Like

That website is awesome. So is me tv I’m learning about some shows for the 1st time, lots of fun

That antenna got 62 stations in the basement? Wow. That says it all.

Yep, and in a forest. Just remember the Marathon is essentially the Antop.

If your antenna (struggling with topic) receives MeTV - jackpot! Me, I’m not big on the westerns, the comedys, some are more corny than others… sometimes you just laugh at how simple and basic they are. Ok, so maybe you’ll get tired of them everyday, maybe not.

I’m a fan of the Beverly Hillbillies (espically the early seasons), and the rural peroid - the writers were ingenuous!

I mean do you know what a gozinta is? gozinta

Yeah my dad told me it’s a rebranded antop. After my sister told him about her antop antenna he got curious then decided to buy one of these & take it apart. He’s an engineer so he gets an idea in his head & can’t leave it alone.

Your dad can take a look at this post. I discuss the theory behind this model of antenna. I’ve also taken one apart and looked inside. Would be interested in any comments he may have.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that show yet but I love charlies angels and the facts of life so I’m starting to record those. Also Columbo it looks interesting.

Charlie’s Angels is the forerunner to Women’s empowerment! At the time a bit more derogatory terms may have been used… a generation of independant young women just saw girls thinking for themselves and not needing a man to defend them. Of course, the guys saw things differently :blush:

The season of Columbo they’re showing now are the “revival” ones. The Columbo TV series was canceled in 78. Eleven years later in 89 - 03, primarily led by Peter Faulk, Lt. Columbo made a come back.

I prefer the original ones, nothing wrong with the newer ones - just can tell a difference. Columbo doesn’t fit into the 80s and his trademark mannerisms are exaggerated or forced. But that’s just me. I grew up on this stuff, mom had to watch him every week - back then only rich people had more than one TV :frowning:

Still - Columbo is awesome - takes away the who-dunit! genious! How’s he gonna get 'em?

I’ll send him the link. He’s one of those guys who takes everything apart and I mean everything, even cars and examines them before putting them together again.

This is remarkable! Hats off to this guy, great post.