Help Shape the Tablo Roadmap

I’d like that too - but I think there are probably lawyers involved in maintaining that the Tablo is on the safe side of the Aereo U.S. court decision, showing up on our home-recorded “home” devices rather than being ‘broadcast’ to other devices/locations… Hence remote viewing is on devices that started out at home where the pairing took place. For a variety of reasons, Plex seems less concerned/exposed even with their OTA recording solution.

Given that the Fire TV app is basically an Android app, I’m not surprised.

I’m pretty sure that our use of the Tablo DVRs is impacted more by the 1984 Betamax case and the 2005 Groster and Streamcast case than by the 2014 Aereo case. The act of recording is protected by the Betamax case.

The use I make of the recordings using Plex is very much one-on-one personal family use (aka fair use) vs the one-on-many use supported by file sharing sites, Aereo, bittorrent sites, etc. And neither Plex nor Tablo have a business model of actively inducing infringement and then reaping the commercial benefits. This was the primary issue that brought down Grokster and Morpheus in 2005.

Retransmission of broadcasts is, of course, the heart of the Aereo case. But, I hardly think that the 1992 Cable TV Consumer Protection and Competition Act that applies to cable systems and that Aereo was seeking to bypass can be applied to individuals and families.

I’m no expert, but if personal one-to-one sharing (not copying, not selling) of OTA DVR recordings is deemed to not be fair use, we would be reaching a fairly unexpected extreme.

You hit the nail on the head. Tons of individuals vs. one company. The only reason the “broadcast” definition (which now means transmission of a transcoded item in addition to its original meaning) won’t be enforced on the broad end user base. But doesn’t necessarily exempt the facilitator.

It would be nice if recordings did not include Amber and other emergency alerts. Nothing like tuning in to watch something recorded weeks ago and missing several minutes of audio for an alert from the past.

What type of solution would you propose for this? If it was part of the broadcast and wasn’t during commercials that you could have Tablo skip during playback why would you expect Tablo to be able to remove alerts?

1 Like

Why not enhance Comercial Skip so that it removes all frames that contain actual politicians babbling away.

These can be replaced by frames that have citizens mindlessly watching their fearless leaders on a huge screen.

Remember, there is a topic thread for “funnier” feature adds: Requested Tablo Features (feel free to add)

Explain to me why Commercial Skip can’t be context or content sensitive. If someone wants Alerts filtered why not other content.

Seriously? Because CS doesn’t look at content at all. It looks for black frames between content segments and figure out the commercials from there.

What type of person would want to subvert a Child Abduction Emergency Alert??

I presume you are attempting humor since you omitted my reason for subverting Child Abduction alerts…on recordings. Just wishing at least the audio for the alert could be stripped from the recording.

But to answer your question I am the type of person that has them blocked on my mobile device because they are startling when driving in my “hands-free” state and useless when I am at home.

CS uses Machine Learning(ML) coupled with Digital Signal Processing(DSP) to examine the OTA stream. So it does actually look at the content.

It just limits what it looks at and evaluates. You can take most ML algorithms and teach them to recognize various objects like dogs, cats, automobiles, etc. So why not teach ML to recognize various people.

With the 2020 election cycle upon us think how many new customers tablo would have if it’s CS could optionally filter out politicians.

So you want a setting

• I watch shows weeks after they’re recorded, even so - I’ll find out about missing kids on my own
  • I watch shows as soon as possible. I have small children and am a concerned parent and want to know if/when there’s a child abduction in the area

Or just something to suit your needs?

Just wishing at least the audio for the alert could be stripped from the recording…since recordings are frequently watched after the fact making missing the program audio pointless and annoying. Much like your paraphrasing.

Any and all would be great :slight_smile:

And think with only 1 hour of actual good programming left to record, think of the space savings!

(feels that way sometimes)

I only mentioned it because if the current CS gets really, really good and continues to have access to the more powerful AWS cloud servers, more advanced content processing could be possible.

(Tablo edit: sorry was getting sick of the autoplay video)

Remembering seeing “The Wall” in a movie theater when it was released.
(and survived)

1 Like