Flickering/split screen issue

@TabloTV @TabloSupport, another issue for this thread - my local PBS station, 56 WTVS in Detroit, is suddenly not tunable (56.1 or 56.2). Either the Tablo restarts when trying Live TV, or multiple 1-5min segments if recording.

I have done all the normal stuff (rescan channels, reboot Tablo, remove antenna signal amp, etc) - still the same issue. No problems with any other channels.

I finally managed to get this to display, looks like the original reported issue.

Sometimes I get this kind of display tooā€¦

Could it have anything to do with WTVS trying to slam a new channel (56-5) into the stack before january 4th 2021.

1 Like

Thanks @zippy, it sure could! Anytime something is changed there is a potential for issues.

Thanks for flagging this, we will forward your report to the broadcaster and hope they resolve this quickly.

Thanks @TabloSupport - in my post I only mentioned 56.1 and 56.2 because those are the only two channels that I record. There are other sub channels involved which may have the same issue, but I donā€™t try to access them with my Tablo.

Sent you a PM also.

1 Like

@TabloSupport in these cases, will the broadcaster actually respond back to you when the settings are remediated, or is it a matter of me trying to stream that channel each day to see if the problem is gone?

Itā€™s really a case-by-case basis.

Some broadcasters have been really eager/responsive to work with us on this problem. Others not so much.

That being said, weā€™ll try to keep you posted on any progress on our end but if you can keep an eye out and do the same, that would be super helpful as well.

1 Like

Just adding to the 56.1 PBS Detroit experience, as of Jan 11, 2021 it is still occuring. I had two recordings last night that ended up in about a dozen partial clips.

I just sent a message to WTVS, will post if I get any reply.

Alas they fall into the ā€˜not so muchā€™ category when it comes to responsiveness. :frowning:

Itā€™s possible that as a PBS station they just donā€™t have the staff/time to work with us on things like this.

Iā€™m in the same boat. 56-1 PBS Detroit. I have been in contact with Tablo support however I decided to try a new Tablo to see what would happen. Same thing. When I try to watch the channel live it actually forces the Tablo(s) to reboot most times.

I suspect, with my limited knowledge, that whatever is going on with this channel is causing some kind of fatal error in the Tablo transcoder. I have deleted all scheduled recordings on this channel to prevent any kind of endless (reboot) loop.

This is a fairly recent problem as I have been recording/watching live PBS on Tablo for over 2 years without fail. Itā€™s definitely a Tablo (transcoder) problem as I can receive the channel just fine when the antenna is connected directly to the TV. Of course the signal is not transcoded in that case!

Tablo support calls it a ā€œbroadcaster confirmation errorā€ but I would like to get a more technical explanation. Whatever the cause I do hope the broadcaster (or Tablo) is willing to adjust/correct.

FYI, instead of deleting my scheduled recordings, I just set them to only record on a channel that theyā€™ll never air on. Then when/if the problem is fixed I can remove the channel selection.

1 Like

From earlier in the thread:

I just called WTVS and put in a viewer support ticket, I encourage others experiencing this problem to call as well. This may put a little pressure on them to work with Tablo to fix the problem.

1 Like

@TabloTV is it fair to say that the Tablo HDMI unit would be mostly immune to these types of display issues (since the broadcast is not transcoded)?

@mbellaire Thatā€™s correct. While we havenā€™t been able to test this specifically thereā€™s no reason why this encoder issue should affect the HDMI.

1 Like

@TabloTV, in my original post regarding the WTVS 56 issues I included an image with inverted/weird colors. Last night my Tablo tried to record WTVS because I missed disabling a few scheduled recordings, result was that the Tablo restarted a few times before I stopped the recording. Things seemed fine afterwards so I did not power cycle it. Later that same night The Tonight Show was recorded, but it was in 2 segments the first segment was recorded with inverted colors (see below), then a restart and the rest of the recording was fine.

My point is that when WTVS is recorded, and the error/restart occurs - the problem is not really cleared until the Tablo is power cycled. Some error condition survives the restart.

Iā€™m having the same problem with 56.1 PBS Detroit. Is there way to contact them to help push for a resolution?

Hereā€™s the contact info for channel 56 WTVS.

Riley Broadcast Center
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393
248-305-3900

5401 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI 48202
(313) 872-7500
email@dptv.org

@TabloTV it appears that the issue with channel 56 Detroit is resolved.

Edit:. Have been streaming channel 56 for over 2 hours with no issues. I think itā€™s good.

2 Likes