Flickering/split screen issue

Yep, you’re right. I have recorded evidence (see below) but all looks fine now.

@TabloSupport @TabloTV This exact issue that started this thread started happening here in Vermont today. Only one channel - WCAX CBS out of Burlington (05401). Happens on our Rokus and web apps. Other locals are fine, and only affects Tablo (original quad tuner model). Built in TV tuners and my Silicondust HDHomeRun quad work fine. Is there a set of steps to take?

Hi @MikeNE - We’ll contact the station today and let them know. Often things get resolved faster when customers contact them as well.

Details on the specific issue are further back in this thread: Flickering/split screen issue - #224 by TabloTV

Having the same problem with WCAX CBS out of Burlington. They just added a channel (3-6). My TV’s tuner is fine. Can’t TABLO modify their software to make the reception more robust and thereby resolve this problem. It seems to be happening everywhere. Or is this a hardware issue? I mean if my TV’s tuner is not disrupted by this quirk why is the TABLO?

WCAX is good now. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update @gmarchand.

As we mentioned above, this is an issue at the broadcaster’s end but only shows up when the video is transcoded which the Tablo does but your TV does not.

Glad to hear they’ve got it sorted though!

WCAX issue is not resolved. Recordings last night and tonight (Sept 16) constantly flickering or going split screen.

Yeah - not sure why @gmarchand is saying the problem is resolved. I’ve been watching it closely - and WCAX is still not working properly through Tablo on any of my devices. It starts out fine, but starts flickering and going split screen after a minute or so. I have to echo what others have said. This does not happen on any of my other tuners - including the HDHomeRun connected to my Plex server. If EVERYONE else can work around it (even when transcoding like Plex), I’m not sure why Tablo can’t. If my only option is to bug a TV station to change their broadcast code, the more likely outcome is that I’ll dump my Tablo. Probably not what Tablo wants…

Uhmm. I was looking at the sub channels (3-5) which are now good for me but you are right the main channel (3-1) is still flickering.

The response I got from support said there is nothing they can do. It’s all on WCAX. I’m frustrated at best. Seems like Tablo can’t figure out what everyone else apparently has. I guess it’s easier to put the blame elsewhere. Their support has been great in the past and frankly I’d be siding with them if I had this problem with even ONE other device, tuner, or transcoding DVR in my house. My Tablo has been my OTA workhorse for years, but if WCAX doesn’t get this fixed, I guess I’ll be dumping it.

“Thank you for your inquiry. Engineering at Channel 12/64 has been researching a resolution to this issue within our distribution system. We have implemented a configuration change this morning. Since we do not have access to a Tablo DVR we ask that you respond back to this email with your observances. Hopefully this will resolve this problem.”

Since you are dumping your unit just visit the station and drop it off. That way they can fix the problem for other users.

If you search there is an explanation of why it affects Tablo but not other devices. It still goes back to being a configuration on the broadcast side of things at the station and once they make the necessary change the problem is resolved.

I’m aware of the explanation…and I don’t disagree that it’s a broadcaster issue. My point is simply that if everyone else is immune to it and Tablo is either incapable or unwilling to fix it on their end, then it makes Tablo a less than optimal platform for OTA broadcasts.

Unlike most stattions, on August 18th the station’s engineer offered to work on the problem if they had a tablo unit.

If I considered this a major problem and owned a unit I would be dropping my unit in the engineer’s lap ASAP.

To each his own, plenty of us have no problems so I don’t know that this issue, when it’s very specific to a broadcaster having their configuration correct (which seems to be not an issue for all but a handful of stations as evidenced by the posts in this forum) makes Tablo a “less than optimal platform for OTA broadcasts” for most people.

Tablo doesn’t hide the fact that it transcodes OTA transmission. Transcoding is not new and not specific to OTA. It can always have problems when the stream is improperly described. And ATSC 1.0 probably has hundreds of descriptive fields embedded in the broadcast that are suppose to properly filled in.

@zippy - I know we keep saying this is about transcoding, but Plex transcodes too…no issues there with Silicondust. @Nilex - Exactly. To each his own. As with many situations, it’s not important until it happens to you. I’d note that this thread started 2 years ago, with stations gradually appearing with the issue. We don’t know why, and there’s nothing saying it won’t happen to you tomorrow. My Tablo has been virtually trouble free since the very beginning (6 years now - wow!), and I’ve been very satisfied. If we’re now approaching a point where the stations can ‘decide’ if my Tablo works properly, I’d call that ‘less then optimal’.

The Plex DVR used with the HDHomerun tuners does not transcode by default unless you change it in the settings.

I suggest you check your settings in the Plex DVR to make sure that it is actually transcoding.

@sgnadeau Good point - you may be right. I just checked it out and I have been allowing direct streams. I played around with it a bit and while I do see some pixelation, it’s largely watchable and doesn’t look like the Tablo issue. That said, I can’t say my Plex server isn’t affected, so I’ll fall on my sword and retract my assertion.

On your way out the door don’t forget to drop your tablo unit off at the tv station.