Firmware 2.2.2 drives "Loading, Please Wait"

Having just seen @philsoft 's post, I thought I would add that my real-world Wi-Fi throughput is around 25 megabits per second. I have seen it go as high as 50Mbps, but that is rare. And when I tested with the ROKU just a while ago, the ROKU was in my equipment rack, sitting on top of a metal component, and right next to a steel rack rail, so it is was in a challenging Wi-Fi environment.

EDIT: I just checked my ROKU and my firmware is currently 046.02E03672A, Build date: 20150817 13:37

Iā€™m having similar issues with my quad-tuner and Roku 3ā€™sā€¦all ethernet connected. Itā€™s been kind of difficult for me to pin-down where the issue isā€¦as the drop of the new firmware came at the same time as I moved my antenna. Now, however, Iā€™m getting recurring buffering/ā€œplease waitā€ instancesā€¦but no pixelation that might indicate reception issues.

The last time I had issues like this was when the initial HLS segments were shortened to speed initial tuning. The problems were severe enough to necessitate the implementation of the ā€œenable fast live TV startupā€ toggle. After I disabled that last year, it worked fine.

I wonder if thereā€™s been some changes made to the HLS segments again?

@DaFury, If I may ask, what is your ROKU firmware version(s) ?

The one Iā€™m using right now is version 6.2 - build 3672

@DaFury, thatā€™s the same as mineā€¦just from a different ROKU screen. Curiouser and curiouser.

Every since I updated to Firmware 2.2.2 my Tablo will not connect correctly in google chrome. It takes forever to sync and then it continually tries to connect. I have cleaned my cache and restarted my computer same result. FYI when I updated it had the same problem during the update process. It was stuck in sync until I unplugged my Tablo unit and restarted my computer. Then it completed the install.

Iā€™m not having problems either, and will try changing my recording quality to 1080 to see what happens. I have a Roku 3, a Roku LT, and a FireTV stick (only used for Tablo). Iā€™ll try both the beta and the released on both Roku and FireTV stick and see if thereā€™s any difference.

To bad the Roku update wasnā€™t known, and the Tablo update could have waited until the beta had been tested with the new Roku firmware, but then people have waited long enough for 2.2.2.

Found this issue here as well on Roku 1s and 3. The 3 is hardwired. Getting the loading please wait a lot when selecting live channel to watch, watching live TV, and watching recorded shows. I had already deleted that preview channel so all of this has been happening while using the classic Tablo app. This morning I had unchecked the fast live TV start up and the only improvement seems to be the removal of the initial looping that would occur with live tv.

I am recording on 1080p and was prior to the 2.2.2 update as well.

How do you cycle the tuners? I canā€™t seem to find this anywhere? (Sorry if Iā€™m just missing itā€¦)

It certainly does take Chrome longer to connect than it used to. Itā€™s about 30 seconds now, with both Tablo and my i7 PC on wired gigabit Ethernet, whereas it used to be more like one second. When it worked, I mean, which has always been unreliable in my dual-WAN environment. So now, the extra half-minute makes anticipation of a connection failure all the more vexing.

But on a positive note, assuming that it actually does connect at the end of the half-minute wait, then I no longer have to wait for all of that caching business that it used to do.

Cycling the tuners means pick 2 or 4 channels (depending on your model) that werenā€™t tuned previously and tune to them before returning to the original channel. That way you know the change is in effect.

Same problem here.

Roku 3 and Tablo set to 1080P, all hard wired with gigabit. I can transfer up to 100MB/s through this network with my computers.

I am now constantly seeing ā€œLoading, please waitā€ on Roku when watching recorded content. Problem seems to be on channels that broadcast at 1080i. I have not seen it on 720P channels, although I have seen stuttering on these channels where the video freezes for a second or two while the audio keeps flowing normally.

Now that Iā€™m running 2.2, my setup has become much less usable. I did see this problem before 2.2, but infrequently. What to do now?

Support will show up tomorrow and will note the issues. From a Tablo business perspective, believe this will become a top priority as there are so many folks having this problem. What support needs to respond to is those of us who are Tablo users but the biggest response may need to be made keeping in mind those who are now buying into the system post the 2.2.2 Firmware update. Ten minutes with this mess and the newbee systemā€™s will be packed up and returned. What we have validated here is that there is a problem that only cropped up after the Tablo firmware upgrade (and possibly a Roku firmware upgrade). It will be interesting to see if they can replicate and fix. Me? I have confidence this will be addressed quickly. It worked so darn well before the upgrade.

Yup - I too have just started seeing this behaviour which is very frustrating: The conditions are as follows:

• Roku 3: Hardwired and using the Preview Tablo channel
  • Source is a 720p channel
  • Watching live (with a time shift)
  • No problem when viewed via the Chrome browser
  • Recording quality is 1080p
  • Constant (i.e. every minute or two) display of ā€œLoading, Please Waitā€

Any way to force a downgrade until this is resolved?

Somethingā€™s not quite adding up here. Some are talking like the ROKU update is so new that Nuvyyo couldnā€™t have known about it in time to test the Tablo software against it, but if the offending ROKU software version is 046.02E03672A, Build date: 20150817 13:37 (AKA 6.2 - build 3672), then it was three weeks old by the time my Tablo updated itself. Is that the ā€œnewā€ ROKU version weā€™re talking about?

And again, with my history of bad luck with Tablo, how come mineā€™s working fine? There must be something else in the mix that it not immediately apparentā€¦(?)

Itā€™s getting more frequent on my Roku 3. Catching up to the frequencies of it happening on the Roku 1 and the 3 is hardwired.

• Roku 3 - hardwired using classic Tablo channel
  • Source is 1080i
  • Recorded show
  • Chrome sucks unless Iā€™m playing 480i
  • Recording quality was 1080p - now 720p as of this morning
  • Multiple occurrences of ā€œloading please waitā€

Iā€™ve read some references to a possible coincidence of the Tablo update happening right before a Roku update and then problems were discovered. Didnā€™t this happen once or twice before as well? If Roku isnā€™t playing nice by providing that info or at least an announcement I think that would be cause for concern on the part of Tablo. Or maybe itā€™s Tablo not being able to adapt fast enough to the Roku enhancements. But either way itā€™s frustrating.

Strangely enough, my live-TV playback via Roku today was much improved. The only thing that was changed is that I added an adjustable attenuator to my antenna feed. Perhaps my particular issues were related to my pre-amp overpowering the Tablo. I still had a couple of ā€œloadingā€ instances and 10-second replaysā€¦but itā€™s been better today. I am also seeing the slow Tablo loading on Chrome, however.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Lots of ā€œloadingā€ issues this morning. Primarily on the 720p/60 transmissions.

Hey folks,

Weā€™ve been following over the weekend, and we got straight to work on this issue this morning.
The problem (as it always has been) is that buffering issues involve so many moving parts. Itā€™s clear to us that something amiss here, and weā€™ve got a few working theories that weā€™re testing now.

I donā€™t want to inject any further conjecture into this thread until weā€™ve got something concrete to share. Just know that weā€™re giving this a very high priority and that weā€™ll provide updates as quickly as we can.

Thanks all!

4 Likes

Come on conject away :stuck_out_tongue: