Firmware 2.2.2 drives "Loading, Please Wait"

Afraid to speak as my luck may run out but I set Tablo record to HD 720-Roku-Chromecast, did a soft reset on Tablo, reset Roku and all has been stable while watching live TV and recording a program for about an hour. I also went down a rabbit-hole regarding the Tablo and Tablo Preview Channels - I reloaded both and am using the Tablo Preview Channel without issue.

Am I correct that changes which work do nothing to help with shows previously recorded? If so, I may just export them all and send them to Plex.

Would just like to make a general observation related to this thread discussion.
There are very likely two distinct issues being discussed and mixed together here:

1. Tablo set to 1080p recording quality with either Tablo or Roku (or both) connected via WiFi
  2. Tablo set to 1080p recording quality with BOTH Tablo and Roku connected via hardwired ethernet

For situation #1 - You are very likely to encounter “loading” messages due to bandwidth issues, which may or may not be intermittent in your network. The solution to test for this is to lower the Tablo recording quality setting to 720p Roku/Chromecast and test. If the “loading” messages go away - you’ve found the problem. Either keep the recording quality at 720 or hardwire your devices.

For situation #2 - Recordings of 720p/60 broadcasts (e.g. NFL Football on Fox) cause “loading” messages where none existed before. This is for a fully ethernet wired system (Tablo and Roku) which fully supports the bandwidth required to deliver the bits between the Tablo and Roku. There is no fix to test for this, as the only way to get the 60fps recordings is by having Tablo set to its highest recording quality, 1080p. This issue seems to be related to the Tablo app for Roku not handling the 60fps in a way the Roku can manage, or a fundamental issue with Roku not being able to manage 60fps successfully.

So, changed to 720p - Tablo/Roku. Old recordings still not watchable, new recording not watchable, and Live TV not watchable. So it’s official, Tablo is now completely broken and cannot be used for anything, except to watch “Load, please wait”, which gets pretty boring fast.

Seems to me there is no choice but to provide how to go back to the previous 2.2.1 rev. But I think I saw something about weekend, holiday, etc, so guess we’re out of luck for a few days. Stand by!!!

@oldmike - I’ve been using 2.2.2 since the begining of the beta, so a month plus now, and I can’t really think the problem you’re having is isolated to the new firmware.

Have you done a complete reboot of your whole network and tablo/roku (modem, router, ethernet switches, etc.) - everything?
Is your hard drive very full? That has caused occassional problems for some people.
Is it possible your hard drive is failing?
Just some thoughts to help trouble shoot and get you back up and running.

2TB drive, very little on it. No problem like this until the day 2.2.2 dropped. But I will restart everything and report back. Believe me, I’d rather fix it than just bitch. But if restarting everything is no better, I really want a method to go back to the previous rev that worked fine; missing a lot, but at least watchable.

So, unplugged everything. Then did this in order:

1. Restart router; wait until another machine can browse.
  2. Restart Tablo; wait for LED to stop blinking.
  3. Restart Roku.

Then played a show recorded this morning after changing to 720p using the Old Roku app; no difference. Same for older show recorded at 1080p. Same for Roku Preview.

None of this was a problem prior to 2.2.2 installation.

What would be the down side of providing a process to revert to older version?

So my problem has been rectified by changing record capability to HD 720 - Roku/Chromecast. Recordings when I was set to 1080 exhibited the “Loading, Please Wait” issue during playback so I eliminated them. In my case I cannot connect Tablo via Ethernet unless I tear out some walls so I am stuck with wifi.

Your comment that the firmware 2.2.2 update is likely not the culprit is confusing. My set-up worked like a champ before the update, the 1080 recordings all played well, and there were no perceived bandwidth issues. I watch Sling TV, Netflix HD, and VUDU HDX over Roku wifi without issue. I can agree that the firmware update may not have impacted the operability of Tablo as it has continued to work well on my iPad. I do believe there is an issue with the Tablo/Roku interface that only kicked in after deployment of 2.2.2. Tablo needs to figure that out real quick or there will be many new users who find the environment unacceptable and wind up sending the Tablos back.

The key to me fixing this was to change the record to 720 Roku-Chromecast. What I failed to do after changing the setting from my computer was the soft reset (quick button press) on Tablo to make it stick. And, yes, even after this fix, all shows recorded in 1080 gave me the continuous loading message so I had to delete them. I am not all that tech savvy but believe the 2.2.2 update induced an interface issue with Roku. Christie indicated bandwidth issues but they were not an issue before the firmware update and I continue to stream HD signals from other sources over my network. Bottom line, change the setting to 720 and then do a Tablo reset… Good luck!

When using the 1080p recording quality “bandwidth” can be an issue when using WiFi due to the throughput of wireless not being that fast in some cases and also not constant, that’s all he meant.

If everything is hard wired then bandwidth really shouldn’t be a problem.

Well, I power cycled everything; surely that is as good as or better than a reset button. It is raining postings with this same problem; never saw them before 2.2.2, so of course it is 2.2.2-caused.

I probably only need about 20 show/episodes, to think I’ll just go fetch them from eztv.it and watch with Plex / Roku.

Again, y’all are way more tech savvy than I but I have a strong wifi network that streams 1080 content from other platforms without issue.

Yes which is why your issue was likely due to the 1080p 60 fps video.

So with the 720p recording quality, your issues are gone?

Tablo support is normally pretty responsive so they will need some time Tuesday morning to wade through our comments and I’m sure they will then get right to work. Suspect their QA folks will do a lot of head scratching regarding the 2.2.2 release.

My recording quality is 720 and both the Roku 3 and Tablo are Wireless and I don’t have any problems.

+1
For everyone with Roku problems since 2.2.2:
2.2.2 introduced 60fps recording IF the Quality Setting in your Tablo Settings is set for 1080p. The playback of these 60fps recordings is an issue on the Roku. If you have a Fire TV you can playback the same recordings without any loading issues, all other things being equal.

For WiFi connected Tablos, there are literally hundreds of posts of buffering/loading issues with Tablo set for 1080p quality (the solution to which is almost universally to use the Tablo 720 Roku setting). With the new 60fps feature when using 1080p, this may have pushed your previously working WiFi setup over the edge - just a thought.

1 Like

Unfortunately… Once again Roku managed to release a firmware update at essentially the same time as Nuvyyo did, so it will probably take some figuring out to get to which firmware caused the issues.

1 Like

This may a first for me…my Tablo is working fine with my ROKU 3. Maybe I should keep my head down lest I cheese it somehow…(?) But anyway, I saw the update happen in Chrome just a little while ago, so I came to the forum to see what others were saying and found this thread. I’ve been anticipating this update for some time, so I was really disappointed to see that so many people are having trouble after the update. I was almost afraid to try it for myself, but to my great surprise and pleasure, mine seems to be working just fine.

In my setup, the Tablo is hard wired to my gigabit LAN. I have been moving my ROKU 3 back and forth between two rooms here lately, so it is currently on 802.11n wireless, which while strong, certainly isn’t the fastest Wi-Fi protocol in the world. From the very start, I have always used the HD 1080p recording quality. I seem to be breaking all of the rules that this thread hints at, but for some reason it seems to be working just fine. That is a particularly surprising to me because up until now, my daul-WAN network environment has been nothing but trouble for the Tablo, so I’m not used to much of anything in the Tablo universe working without frustration. But here we are. I just hope it doesn’t stop working the next time we have a big power outage (where the UPS doesn’t outlast the outage).

I tried live TV, selecting channels at both at 720p and 1080i, and both seemed fine. I also sampled some recordings, again, from both 720p and 1080i channels. It all seems fine. So that makes me wonder, what is the difference between my setup and all of the ones that seem to have been rendered non-functional by the 2.2.2 update? Is anyone else NOT having trouble? But then, I suppose that anyone who isn’t having trouble wouldn’t be reading this thread, right?

At what bitrate?