FireTV Stuttering Issue

@masterdrue. intersecting post. Many Tablo users can and most probably understand some of the dysfunctional nuances Tablo offers hoping for a fix but the “other half” doesn’t feel the same way. Don’t get me wrong… I enjoy Tablo and think it’s a great product but I can’t say the same for the rest of the family.

Hello @theuser86

Yes, the buffering is present in using both AFS and plex. its less noticable in plex, but is present. Plex is hardwired as well as the tablo as well the TV. Aside of tablo through plex, I have no buffering, stuttering, freezes etc, for the high end content I watch through it. All devices are in the same room so there is no lack of signal or bandwidth…

Having employed QOS, I have tablo at the top and still receive the same or similar results.

I have a pro-sumer router ASUS RTN66U and cable speeds at 100mb or greater… so there is absolutely no reason i should get even a flicker…

it’s unreasonable to say, “put it on 5g vs 2g” as all other services through AFS work perfect. I can not comment to fact, if the video player for AFS is substandard, but I would assume there lies the issue as its not a signed app that isn’t meeting its tablo’s need.

I’m using 1080p recording quality and only expect that as the pics I posted above are that from antenna, defined as 1080 from the broadcast info. I should not have to accept less resolution (720) signals in order to use this product. If that were the case, I would simply get a substandard capture card and watch square 480 style shows as the majority hardware produce.

I’m seeking a comparable alternative to the cable provider and if Tablo isn’t able to produce that, I’m more than happy to continue my search. I’d like to note, i was building streaming broadcasts as long as 15 years ago… I suppose the issue really is, my expectation… or is it?

Since I provided A vs B insight, I don’t think its unreasonable to want the same and features to go along with it.

I totally agree with you and am experiencing the same issue my Fire TV.

This is after also experiencing substandard playback on my HTPC which is quite capable of playing 1080P video through Kodi (either local or streamed).

The sad reality is that I don’t think he Tablo device is quite up to snuff.

I too am giving it one more software revision on the Fire TV to see if things get sorted. If they don’t then it’ll go up for sale and I would be hard pressed to recommend the device.

1 Like

@darryldale

I thought the playback issue on the HTPC was resolved by disabling the new integrated Pepper Flash in the Chrome browser? This allows use of the standard Adobe Flash Player.

https://community.tablotv.com/t/chrome-terrible-stuttering-ie-firefox-ok-possible-cause

The video no longer stuttered but it caused several other issues:

• The controls would not display onscreen which means I couldn’t figure out how to make the video full screen.
  • The channel info bar along the top of the screen would never go away.

So my choices were to watch a slide show and have all of the controls work with the pepper flash player or to have a stutter free video and not be able to go full screen and have to stare at the channel info bar which never went away.

I’ve plugged in my Tablo every month or two for the last year and end up unplugging it because it’s still not up to par in my opinion. Although I have a Roku 2XS, I really want to use my FireTV. While watching Live TV it saying buffering for about half a second every 10 seconds or so. I am glad there is finally an official FireTV app, but it still needs work.

I think this (Tablo) will eventually be a go-to product, but as long as it is having playback issues, no surround sound (or at least pass-thru), a remote login ability (not this current pairing process) and several other things that others have mentioned, it will have to continue sitting on my shelf.

You haven’t lost me though. I’m still hanging out in the forums, reading, waiting. :smile:

edit: Actually it’ll probably come off my shelf as soon as it can provide me reliable recording and playback. (It apparently already does that for some people with some systems) The other stuff are just “wants”.

I too am now seeing stuttering video on my hard wired Fire TV. This needs to get fixed ASAP.

I am also experiencing this and other performance issues on amazon fire tv stick. So plus one me to the group needing a fix. I am using a 2 TB the western digital essentials drive. Tablo is connected to D-Link DIR-868L (worlds fastest wifi is the claim) via AC powerline AV500 Ethernet (all lights showing green).

Live channels buffer, they flash a buffer icon 5 to 7 times in first minute.

I don’t experience the stuttering/buffering problem on recordings. Recently, however, I’ve noticed that about 10 or 15 minutes into the recording, the image will freeze and sound will continue. It clears up if I hit rewind once (20seconds back). Then it may freeze again 15 or so minutes later.

Additionally, the interface on the fire tv stick is slow; it takes 1 min. 9 seconds to get to live tv from startup.

Additionally, the tablo app on the fire tv will randomly crash and reconnect after I try to exit a live channel or a recording. When it does this it takes 1 min. 30 seconds to change channels (mostly because it crashes and has to reconnect), then it stutters/buffers 8 times in the first minute.

Additionally the interface is quite slow it takes 1 min. 30 seconds to switch from live tv to recordings and back to live tv.

It takes 7 (seven) minutes to start tablo, switch from recordings to live tv, select a channel, exit channel and select a second channel, exit channel and go back to recordings, and exit recordings and go back to live tv. That’s a long time to click between two channels and a recording.

I think these issues are just software glitches that can be fixed with better coding.

I also have Netflix and kodi (and nothing else) on the fire tv stick, and they both work flawlessly (i.e. the interface is sufficiently fast to feel responsive to my commands, and HD videos play back on both smoothly and without this constant stuttering buffering.

I have been in contact with Tablo support (which is really quite amazing, fast, and friendly), and I have been told that fixes are on the way.

There is no reason the application on the fire tv stick can’t be made to work as we all expect it to. I found the tablo application to work great on ios (ipad /appletv), but I don’t like the airplay interface, and I don’t like to watch tv on a 6 inch screen.

1 Like

Any updates? Last post from Tablo was 9 days ago and it looks like the week they were talking about for the beta has come and gone.

I am experiencing the same issues that you described with fire tv stick. Everything I do in it is painfully slow. It doesn’t work anywhere near as fast as it does on Roku or on my PC.

[quote=“banker85, post:29, topic:1618, full:true”]
The solution I have found is to immediately pause to get 30 seconds or so behind live and it streams perfectly. I have no technical knowledge so I don’t know why that works, but it does every time.[/quote]

In all honesty, the FireTV app is usable with the workaround quoted above (or use video player v1.5.0.26). I have both FireTV stick and FireTV box, the app is definitely running a lot zippier on the FireTV box than it is on the FireTV stick…I can live with it for now as I don’t watch Tablo on my FireTV stick so much. BUT that’s not to say I am not anxiously waiting for the fix or update

FYI - we’ve delayed a bit to squeeze in some player updates that will help Chromecast users as well. Still hoping to get this out ASAP but we want to make sure to get these updates into the next build.

1 Like

I’ve used both the Android apk and the firetv apk. The android definitely doesn’t have the stuttering issues. I installed the fire tv video player recently and had some success on my full version firetv but then recordings started skipping every 8 or 10 seconds. I finally uninstalled everything and reinstalled and it’s working for now. Haven’t tested live again though. Looking forward to updates

They don’t seem to care that the product is completely unusable on one of the platforms. They’ll get to it when they get to it.

They do care, hence their responsive to users - it is not a global issue. Playback on my Fire TV Stick is extra smooth.

Well that is just great for you. Being responsive includes fixing things, not just making posts. You on the freakin payroll? I notice you jump to their defense with pretty much every post.

@Angus - We do care. That’s why we’re working very hard to make this next release the best it can be. We’re sorry that you’re experiencing issues at the moment but we do need a bit of time to finalize the build and get it tested.

@Angus I wish I was on their payroll. @TabloTV Do you guys need any physicians at Tablo HQ?

Spoke too soon. Stuttering is horrible again tonight watching the warriors Cavs game. I’m watching about an hour behind live. Don’t know if that is part of the stuttering issue. It gets old my sling and amazon play smooth on my wireless fire tv

Hey folks. Just jumping in to say this is still being worked on, and that we’re definitely placing this issue at a high priority.

As always, we’ll post here as soon as we’ve got some news. We really appreciate the patience while we work on this. Lots to come.

1 Like