FireTV Stuttering Issue

And different harddrives - which I believe account for some of the variant experiences people report with Tablo.

I just leave these here as I donā€™t know what to make of them (meaning they could mean absolutely nothing)

Plot 1 (v1.5.0.26 video player) = a 2 minutes bandwidth plot when Tablo is tuned to a LiveTV channel
Plot 2 (v1.6.3.0 video player) = a 2 minutes bandwidth plot when Tablo is tuned to the same channel for LiveTV viewing

v1.5.0.26 video player = NO stuttering / buffering
v1.6.3.0 video player = Stuttering / buffering happens at least once every 2 minutesā€¦

Plot #1 (v1.5.0.26 video player)

Plot #2 (v1.6.3.0 video player)

p.s. new forum is good, I like it that I can post picture :grin:

Iā€™m seeing a similar problem on my FireTV with the latest Tablo app. The FTV is hardwired back to my Gigabit router. Watching live tv stutters badly on the FTV app. Sitting on the couch with my laptop and watching the same live tv channel over my browser and wifi does not stutter at all.

I have a second FTV in a different room running the same version of the Tablo app on a different hard-wired network (100Mbs) and it is stuttering as well. This is definitely a problem with the Tablo app on FTV.

Just for fun, I streamed the live tv stream to my laptop while in a hotel across the internet and hotel wifi and there were no stuttering issues at the same time my wife was watching on the first FTV and the stream was stuttering.

Iā€™ll be putting in a ticket with Tablo tomorrow since using Tabloā€™s ā€˜Contactā€™ link returns a page not found error.

Hopefully this will be addressed as the live tv stream is unusable as-is on the FTV.

Where did you see this? In the app itself?

I plan to chat with the FireTV team about this issue again today.

I just submitted a ticket on the stuttering Fire TV issue.

The broken link I was referring to above is the http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new URL. I was able to reach this page this morning to submit the Ticket so this looks like a transient issue.

Tx @sstjean - This is provided by our third party ticketing software so they may have been offline briefly when you attempted to send a ticket last night.

Does anyone have a source of the video player v1.5.0.26 apk?

FYI - We believe weā€™ve got a solution for this and will begin QA testing on a fix shortly. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

I would like to add that I have stuttering and ā€œbufferingā€ issues as well. No problems with recorded only with live. Does it on my FireTV and FireTV Stick. The solution I have found is to immediately pause to get 30 seconds or so behind live and it streams perfectly. I have no technical knowledge so I donā€™t know why that works, but it does every time.

I know this is a FireTV thread, but testing with Plex Channel, I am seeing the same problem. Have FTV and it also has the issue.

Does anyone have the direct link to download the 1.5 versionā€¦ apk ?

Hereā€™s a few observations from my brand new install using the amazon fire stick.

• Launching the Tablo app, is way off centered. (see video)
  • I notice is the video player crops my screen on all 4 corners. There is about a 2 inch border around my 55 inch sony bravia.
  • Video quality is no where near the same as directly plugged into the antenna, why? The player at best appears to lack color, vibrance and looks blotchyā€¦not to mention the constant buffering. Iā€™ve included 2 sets of pictures below to see the difference. The 2 sets are from tablo and then from antenna only. Iā€™ve additionally included a video to see first hand.

Sony Bravia 55 Inch TV using Tablo
Gap around the 4 corners of TV

Grainy Images

Blotchy

Using ONLY Antenna with Sharp 70 inch TV
Crystal clear, colors are vibrant and rich and way exceeds our cable provider.

Video - Shows stuttering and buffering, as well shows quality of video.
Please see this unlisted on youtube.

I would like a workaround published, if it means use another player, etc.
Iā€™ve adbā€™d into firestick and can side load apps, though everything Iā€™ve read refers to 1.5 version as a working substitute while tablo devā€™s fix this, though I donā€™t have any andriod devices to download the apk from google play. (if that is in fact the right version), Iā€™ve looked at other apk sites which show version 1 or 1.1

Config details
Tablo Wired
TV wired
Brand new install
Iā€™ve also enabled QOS to help assist per my ASUS RN660, though this hasnā€™t made that much of a difference.

I do find that using plex gives me full screen, rather than the 2 inch gap as the tablo app does on fire stick.

Hope the info provided helps provide 1st hand data to work with.

Please post the android video player or some type of step by step workaround while fire stick is being updated.

@masterdrue, have you calibrated/configured the HDMI input that the FireTv stick is using to make it like the antennae input? That may fix a lot of your issues. Each input can be set up differently from all the others.

Iā€™m so glad to have found this thread. Iā€™m having no issues with Tablo via my Roku 3 using Tablo Preview, but I gave up trying to watch OTA TV via a Fire stick in another room. My problem is similar as others describe - not just the buffering and stuttering, but very slow start up. I may as well put on a pot of coffee while I wait, only to have it buffer every few minutes or break up once it gets going.

@snowcat Yes, all other apps play fine in the fire stick. I also have Plex installed on the firestick where i can use the tablo app/channel on plex, it will play full screen, but the quality aspects I mentioned are still an issue.

@TabloTV Are we there yet ?

1 Like

Thanks for asking. Iā€™m wondering too. I havenā€™t been able to use mine in days.

Hi folks - This fix (along with lots of other updates) should be going into beta late this week or very early next.

I havenā€™t either and since I just bought it, I have to make an informed decision if Iā€™m going to keep it in hopes that it will meet the same quality as Iā€™ve shown above.
I truly like the tablo idea, though I canā€™t justify keeping a unit that is not meeting the grade.

I will give it until early June for a decent solution to be released. Overall I need the wifeā€™s approval as Iā€™ve been selling this as a comparable alternative. And remember, a happy life is a happy wifeā€¦

@masterdrue

This stuttering playback is not universal on the Fire TV Stick. I have no issues with playback of live TV or recordings on my AFTV Stick.

I did have buffering issues when my Stick was on my old router using Wireless N 2.4 GHz band. I upgraded my router to a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 and put the Stick on the Wireless N 5 GHz band and all the buffering went away.

What recording quality are you using on the Tablo? Also is your Stick using the 2.4 GHz band or 5 GHz band?